75.1K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between fec and ec, how do we all have different treatments?????

5 REPLIES 5

Re: What is the difference between fec and ec, how do we all have different treatments?????

I'm only happy if it helps. It's what makes me so irritated when people talk about 'the cure' for cancer. if there are 15 types of breast cancer alone, then no one cure is going to work, is it?

OK, rant over!
Jane x

Re: What is the difference between fec and ec, how do we all have different treatments?????

thank you!!!!!
julie xxxx

jane, what a great reply. Many of my own questions, which I felt too foolish to ask, have been answered, thank you. Amanda

The reason we have a variety of treatments is that although we all have the label of breast cancer, there are 5 or 6 "normal" and another 10 or so "rarer" breast cancer. So if our cancers were dogs for example, most would be labradors, spaniels, terriers etc, and some would be much rarer breeds. They'd all be dogs, but they'd all have different needs for food, exercise, grooming and so on.

Add to that the fact that we are of different ages, so we may or may not still be having periods, plus our cancers have different receptors on their cells, meaning that they can be turned on by certain things in our bodies (like oestrogen), and turned off by drugs (like Herceptin). Then our cancers are found at different stages. They may be found when very small, still confined to a very small area, they may be bigger, or may have spread to the lymph nodes or further afield in the body. And then on top of it all we may have other illnesses and be on other medicines already for other things, we may be fit, or we may be frail.

So the doctors have to consider all of this when choosing our treatments. Certainly each oncology team will have drugs they prefer when a straight choice is available, but those choices are dictated by the cancer and all its characteristics. We all have the treatment that is right for us - the whole person, as supertrouper says above.

So you'll see some of us having surgery first, then chemo, radiotherapy, oestrogen-blockers and other drugs like Herceptin. Others will have chemo or radiotherapy first, then surgery. Some will just have surgery, some surgery and radio, some surgery and chemo - it's all dictated by the many characteristics of us!

Hope this helps - sorry if it's too long!

Good luck as you go through your treatment
Jane x

I had 4 x FEC and then 4 X TAX - most people have 6 X EC. I think it depends on the oncologist and what they think you can put up with? I wasn't over weight and didn't have any other health problems but still couldn't take the full dose of the TAX which had to be reduced by 50% for the last two. Everything depends on our age, weight, health, and of course the stage and grade of our own particular cancer.

What is the difference between fec and ec, how do we all have different treatments?????

I was wondering what is the difference between the fec and ec chemo, if we have similar dx, why are our treatments so different????????
confused

julie xxx