What is the risk if I don't take Tamoxifen?

Hi, I’ve recently finished chemotherapy and am just starting radiotherapy after my lumpectomy in January. The cancer was Grade 3, about 30mm, but had not spread to the lymph nodes. I’m due to start on Tamoxifen soon, but for some reason I’m getting cold feet about taking it.

I guess my main worry is that I turned 40 this year, so would be 45 by the time I came off it and am guessing this would pretty much make ever having kids, or even just getting my periods back, out of the question. It seems a slim chance anyway as although I had Zoladex during chemotherapy to try and protect it, I’ve only had one ovary since I was 17.

With this in mind I really wanted to know what the statistics are for Tamoxifen, and what difference it would make to the chances of recurrence if I didn’t take it. I’ve heard my chances would be improved by about 40%, but after surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, would this be 40% of what? (I hope this makes sense, but the statistics are confusing me!)

Maybe, I’m being silly as my chances of an early menopause are quite high anyway, but I’m find this a really hard decision to make, as it seems so final. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Your medical team should be able to tell you your specific percentage gain from taking tamoxifen. They often use adjuvant online to do this, you could look at the cancer math website. Or maybe access your BCN and go through your particular statistics. Good luck!

Hi Szecsi

As well as the experiences and the advice you receive from the other forums users you may find it helpful to give the BCC helpline a call and talk this through with one of our trained members of staff. Here you can share any concerns you may have with someone who will offer you support and information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm.

Best wishes
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi - here is a link to one of the online calculators you can input your details and see what difference different treatments make… it automatically goes to a 15 year prediction but you can change it back to 10 year etc as those might be the figures your onc has quoted… I find it easiest to read using the pictogram option…

Normally the stats are describing what would happen to a group of 100 patients so depending on your age at the start some would die of other causes anyway… If they say any treatment gives you say 7% extra benefit they mean on average another 7 patients would still be alive at the end of the time period…

lifemath.net/cancer/breastcancer/therapy/index.php

Hope it helps

Theresa x

Thanks for your advice, I’ll have a go on the calculator and have a chat too. My feeling is that the medical staff have my best interests at heart when it comes to survival, but it is down to me to decide about risk and quality of life. This should definitely help with making that decision.