Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best bra to wear?

19 REPLIES 19
PenguinBiscuits

Re: What's the best bra to wear?

Hi Lilymole
It's good to hear from someone who has had an uplift. It's sounds like what I have been expecting. Hope you next appointment goes well.
Anyone out there looking for post op bra, I went to M&S and they had a good variety and remember when buying a post op bra remind cashier that it is VAT FREE.
penguin biscuits
Butterfly318

Afternoon Chris

So sorry i didn't pick up on your question about persuading Consultant to replace saline with silicone before now......

I didn't have to do any persuading the plan from the outset was a temporary saline to be topped up to the Max.  Had mx following Chemo and 2 attempts at breast conserving, unable to get clear margins.  I then had rads which has tightened skin and muscle slightly but the expander has preserved the space, which is behind muscle,  for permanent silicone.  We discussed the exchange January 2014 but the surgery (3 lots in 5 weeks) took a lot of getting over (also want skin to recover from rads / get good blood supply etc) so we have rescheduled and tentatively agreed April / May when she will also create a nipple (to be tattoo at a later date) and lift  / reduce left side to match.

The port is so painful it sits on my rib so my bra presses on it....ouch  

Hope this is useful.

Take Care.    Gilly x

chrisalex

Dear Penguin B

My uplift has shown a great improvement.  I thought that after the mx the surgery would be easy to deal with but it was pretty uncomfortable.  I too am an oldie (older than you) with droopy breasts due to my age.  My follow up is in 5 months and I will endevour to persude my surgeon to change implant to silicone.  I now await an appt to see a plastic surgeon to discuss nipple recon.  The journey continues and I hope that one day it will be finished.

Regards Chris

lilymole

Hi,
I had lots of trouble going around department and chain stores to find suitable bra for post surgery in my size. I was 40 D and was recommended to go up one size. Lots of companies seem to stop at 38 or 40. Anyhow started looking online and came across Bra Clinic where they had vast choice of bras for mastectomy, immediate post surgery and reconstruction. The Sales Manager Sue is very helpful and of course you can return unwanted bras. I ended buying 2 Anita bras which are both very comfortable and supportive- good job as I live in them 24/7. Some of the bras are a bit pricey but really felt after NHS had spent thousands on ones op one shouldn't skimp! Good luck.
Bunnybear

Hi Sue,

I had my right breast removed almost three weeks ago, with immediate stratiss recon. When my surgeon saw my m&s post op Bra he said it didnt give sufficient support and told me to go to the nearest city hospital (local doesn't keep them) to get a Plié bra. They are comfortable but very tight (but maybe because I have to have mine on the tightest hook) £25 each, front fastening, look like a sports bra. Hope you find one that suits 🙂 Xx
PenguinBiscuits

Chrisalex
I have now had all my saline put in but only with a full feeling in my breast for a few days after each treatment. My port is near where my nipple would have been and it is not sore. My surgeon is planning to exchange it for a permanent implant in about 3 months (my surgery was 7 weeks ago) and she has asked me to consider an up lift at the same time, on the other side as I am 55 and it is drooping. I hope you get things sorted out to make you feel more comfortable. It's very hard mentally and physically going through all this. Penguin B
jillybee

thanks for the tip about post surgery bras being VAT free.... am going to John lewis, and /or Marks and Spencer soon, for fittings and advice. Can not wait, as now completely flat on one side, following problems with implant,had 2, both removed.

chrisalex

Dear Gilly

I too have expander in my right breast after mx in September last year but had to wait until October before it was inflated!!  I had masoplexi this month on my left breast to get some sort of symetry and during the op more saline was put into right breast.  It was a bit painful imediately after the op but now my breast feels like a water bottle and is much heavier.  

Was it difficult to persuade your surgeon to change your implant to a silicon one as I feel this would be more comfortable for me.  My surgeon is still reluctant to take the port out which is still annoying if I lay on my right side and has said most of his patients have had them in for years!!

I fear that ops for nipple recon will be years away.  Would be grateful for your thoughts.

Regards Chris

PenguinBiscuits

I have now had two top ups and took paracetamol before going as you advised. It worked and was a great help. Just one more top up to go. Get permanent implant in the new year, thanks for you help. Hope things are going well for you.
PenguinBiscuits

Gilly. Thanks for that. Good to know what to expect. PenguinB
Butterfly318

PenguinBiscuits.

re pain at having saline put into expander.  I had quite a lot of saline put in during surgery (450mls) as i was having radiotherapy after surgery so it needed to be filled pretty quick.  After that Consultant did 4 top up's of between 75mls and 100mls at 10 day intervals.  The port for my expander is sited on my rib and the saline is injected directly into that.  In honesty,  injection site was very uncomfortable and i felt discomfort in the breast area when saline was going in (felt like extreme pressure) at the first fill.  2nd / 3rd /4th fills i took paracetamol before i went and this was really helpful. As you say you are 3 weeks post surgery and any discomfort having expander filled will be a walk in the park compared to your surgery.

I am doing lots of scar massage and putting aqueous cream on breast area skin whilst it expands and have planned surgery early 2014 to exchange for silcone, create a nipple and match up the left side. 

Hope all goes well for you next week.   Gilly x

PenguinBiscuits

Hi, I'm post surgery nearly 3wks. I have a tissue expander and it is due to be increased or the first time next week. I'm just wondering how uncomfortable it will be but no pain no gain. I got post surgery bras from Marks & Spencer who do a large range on Line and in larger stores. Pretty design but with a pocket for temporary or permanent prosthesis. I will probably still have to wear a small prosthesis due to my breast size and my reluctance for a reduction. Post surgery bras are vat free so make sure they scan in the correct label at the check out. I got a pack of 2 for £16 less the vat so it was about £13. Hope all goes well.
Butterfly318

I have seen a few threads re. Suitable Bras and i guess it is very much trial and error depending on individual needs and particularly the type of surgery you have had.  Having larger breasts 36E makes Bras like Genie only suitable for indoors / bed. 

I had mx to right side with tissue expander at time of surgery.  This has been filled to max and is currently a c cup (wearing a partial Amoena gel prosthesis) whereas my left breast is e cup.  I have found excellent Sports Bra's by Anita (Called soft and firm on internet). I have also found Debenhams have a range of maternity bras called Nurture (approx £15 - 20) . Very supportive but without underwire.  My prosthesis sits really well in both these bras and i am able to get on with things, with one less thing to worry about.  

Plan is to have expander exchanged for permanent silicone on right and left side lifted and reduced at same time, Feb / March 2014. 

Just another option worth trying.   Take Care.   Gilly x

cath4512

Sorry to hear you have an infection.

I'm really sore too as my first reconstructin was botched & looked horrendous. I had it re done 2 weeks later to correct it. I am now almost 2 weeks post op, but the 2 ops within 2 weeks has been a trial.

Take care & I hope your infection is getting better. 

Hugs xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I got a genie bra but not very comfy will take a look in mothercare just need find the best one for me still really uncomfy and to top it off I have an infection in my arm which is the same side as surgery not havin much luck 😞 xx
cath4512

I am post op from my reconstruction & am wearing Belvia bras, thye are really comfy. I have also bought 2 maternity bras from Mothercare which are great...they are non wired Tshirt bras. They have a good choice of non wired bras in Mothercare 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks guys just checked them out I'm going for the genie bras so will see how I go thanks again,also am I ok now to have a full bath to bathe my stitches most off them seemed to have gone now x
Jo_BCC

Hi ladies,

Here's BCC's publication regarding bra choices etc which I hope you find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/confident-choice-breast-pros...

Also have a look and see if BCC are holding a lingerie evening near to where you live, we have experts there to advise on the best size/type of bra to wear following any surgery.  Here's the link to more info.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/body-image-after-breast-cancer/find-support

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

parky

Hi, I asked a bra question here last week.  I'm having a mastectomy with immediate tissue expander reconstruction, but I bet some of the bras recommended by others might be good for you too:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/Budget-cotton-bra-advice-pretty-please/m-p/785354#U7...

x

Guest user
Not applicable

What's the best bra to wear?

It's been nearly 2 wks since I had a wle removed 1inch invasive ductal with full node clearance and surgeon said on fri that I could go back to wearing normal bras just wondering what's the best for comfort Im wearing the sports bra at the Min and it's to uncomfortable to wear normal padded bras at the min also my plasters come off sun is it ok to have a full soaked bath to help bathe my stitches x