What's the best course of action? Lump - one episode of discharge..

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can help. I am 30 and around six months ago I noticed a small pea sized lump in the one o’clock position just under my areola. It was confirmed by the doc who sent me to the breast clinic. The breast surgeon could feel it, but it was invisible on ultrasound. I was sent home and told it was normal. When I asked the radiographer to take some more time to scan, he was very stern and told me that there’s no lump and i’m imagining it (even though the surgeon felt it).

After having 24 hours at home to think about it, I didn’t feel satisfied with that response so went back to the breast clinic for another surgeon to examine me. They too could feel the lump but it was invisible on ultrasound. They put me on an automatic six month follow up.

All the while the lump remained and when I went for my third visit, the six month follow up, there was a ‘small hypoechoic area’ found on ultrasound. The lump was biosied and came back ‘a benign fibroadenoma.’ It was 6mm. I felt relaxed but still uneasy because I have never had a breast lump before and it sprung up relatively fast. 

I started to relax a little until getting dressed the other night when I noticed some dark brown/almost looked like chocolate or old blood stained stuff coming from the duct that corresponds with the lump. Having never seen anything like that before, I squeezed my nipple and more of this stuff came out. This was 2.5 months after the biopsy, but I did wonder if it might be something to do with that. I’ve not had anything like that since.

I went back to the GP who has told me that the breast clinic has got it wrong before and by the time people find out it’s too late. She didn’t mean to put the wind up me, but she did. The breast clinic is extremely blase about the whole thing, but my doctor told me to ask for the lump to be removed.

The only thing is - we’re trying for a baby and I don’t want general anesthetic, plus I’m terrified of general anyway. So what would you ladies do in this situation ? request it be removed? under local? have a mammogram? take their word for it? I’m so confused! :frowning: I’m due back at the breast clinic next week.

I’ve also got a lump just on the edge of my breast which doesn’t feel as round but more of a squashed pea. It’s just where the boob meets my chest. I will point this out when I go next week.

Any advice, however small is appreciated. Thanks so much. 

xx

Hello Jaybee. What a terrible anxiety for you, anyone would be worried.  Although it is unlikely to be anything, I don’t think I would be happy with a further ultrasound only.  If it were me I would insist on an MRI and a biopsy at minimum.  If your breast clinic has a tomothesis mammogram (sometimes known as 3D scan) you could ask for that as that is apparently the most sensitive type of mammogram on the market.

I know more experienced ladies on here always say thus could be lots of things, so try not to panic, but I think it will remain an anxiety until you get to e bottom if it once and for all.  Be firm and insist on what you want.  let us know how you get on as it helps us all. Xxx

Hi Jaybee

My only symptom was a bloody discharge from right breast …no lump, mammogram was normal… I am years and years older than you and therefore probably no hormone problem.  Yours maybe hormone relate.

love xxxx

Hi Jaybee

My only symptom was a bloody discharge from right breast …no lump, mammogram was normal… I am years and years older than you and therefore probably no hormone problem.  Yours maybe hormone related.

love xxxx

Hi Jaybee
My DCIS with micro invasion wasn’t visible on ultra sound and turned out to be 52 mm which I never understood how they couldn’t “see” it. I also have a friend who was diagnosed just after having a baby so as much as you don’t want surgery maybe you are better having it now.