363530posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your wig called?

28 REPLIES 28

Re: What's your wig called?

Thanks fizbix its nice to know I might have good days, god help those around me I'll go into planning mode so have some good days!!
Thanks for the info
x

by the way lisaf - you will find that you get to know how you're going to be on the chemo and will be able to plan things around it

you'll have a god idea when the good and the bad days are - but if you change from say FC to TAX then th good days will change to different ones

thanks sunnymeg, that sounds like a fab idea will have to try that as I was worried that it would be hot!
xx

Your wigs sound fab, Ive always been wacky with my hair but wanna hide it now! Was gonna try the cold cap but when she told me I could use straighteners or hair dryer I havent bothered as my hairs a mess without them anyhow
xxx

I have (had) pepper and salt hair and was very disappointed that I couldn't find a wig similar to my natural colouring. I have a full wig in a copper brown but am finding it very hot; so I have also bought a half wig from the USA. The top part is open with elastic to keep it in place, and hair comes down the sides starting just above the ears. It looks great with a sunhat and I am really pleased with it.

I don't have any wigs yet.Just about to start chemo and had a wig trying on session at my mum's.She used to work for social work and assisted at plays and stuff that her group put on.I've discovered that I suit a crazy purple wig and a little mermaid style long,curly, turquoise one.Do you think anyone would notice the difference between them and my long thick dark hair?
Have thought about trying the cold cap for starters.
Tricia

Thanks both - gonna try and look for a wig at the weekend! My chemo starts on Wednesday next week and so so scared of it - they struggled to find my vein when doing masectomy and terrifed that I will need a port but in. Im 35 and my social life was really good and scared Im going to loose it all and be so so ill - but needs must and hopefully every thing helps!

Thanks for your kind commens on the wig

Lisa
x

My wig is really comfortable now but wasn't until I had my hair cut off it kept slipping upwards due to my own hair underneath. I chose to have it cut to about 5cm from shoulder length in the week following my first chemo as it was so lank and my gray roots were showing. This made me feel so much better and wasn't the traumatic experience I expected. I didn't chose the cold cap because my sister had tried it and the only thing it did was add about 2 hours to her treatment time and it didn't work - though the success rate is 80%. Even during the hot weather of the last weeks it has been quite cool.
I did buy some scarves and hats but my partner prefers the bald look as he says the scarves make me look ill.....maybe he had a thing for Sinead o Conner.
I actually forget I am walking around bald sometimes and have lost count of the no of times I have got to the door and had to go back for the wig......don't want to scare
the neighbours.
I think the way you cope with hair loss is very personal but a good wig helps a lot.

XX

Hi Lisa,
I have only just got mine and still have hair as my first chemo starts next week. I have been wearing my wigs for short spells infront of my very positive family to build up confidence, that the blessed thing will stay on!! I picked out a short wig and a longer one. I am now going to have my hair cut and dyed to the short one which will be the quickest to grow into, if my hair goes. That will be my transition wig back to real hair. The long one is more like now. I don't know what will happen or if I will decide to shave it all off as many friends here have described as freedom from falling hair but have covered all bases so that I can decide as i go along. I am going to try the cold cap. I don't mind people knowing personally as they just offer lifts, help, send notes and flowers which has only felt like lots of love heading my way. I think wigs can be hot although I have not kept one on for very long and mine is a bit tight because I have all my real hair tucked in at present.
Good luck with your decision, your hair and your health
Lily x

sorry to interrupt your comments but just about to start my chemo - are the wigs really uncomfortable to wear? I live in a very small town and as soon as I would think about wearing a head scarf eveyone will know what's wrong with me so I really wanted to wear a wig whenever I could?
Thanks for any advice
xxx
Lisa

Hi everyone
I love your wig stories and names. My wigs have been on all my daughters heads (3 daughters) who thought it was a great opportunity to see what they would look like with a fringe and new style. The wig lady advised me to have a fringe in case I lost my eye brows. Both Audrey and Blush look better than my hair has ever ever looked so they have a good chance of getting worn if the real mullet decides to desert me. First chemo on 20 May.
Lily x

I have to say I am getting rather fond of "posh" and when this is over i may chose to give her an evening out anyway .... especially in the winter when it's very cold ...

... "doris" sadly has no chance .... I think she'll be off to meet some new friends in the wig bank ...

Had a look at the site - excellent idea.

Anyone no longer needing their wig(s) could donate them to Wig Bank - http://www.wigbank.com/

I guess I am one of the lucky ones cos no chemo so I have still got my hair (for what it's worth - always very short cos so fine) but of my biggest concerns when I got breast cancer is the thought of a wig - doesnt that sound so lame and shallow compared to having health, but I am sure you know what I mean. I often have thought what it must be like to wear a wig - does it get hot and itchy and how much do they cost? The only time I have worn one is fancy dress and on the stage and i was glad to take the thing off. And what happens when they are redundant - like caroleann says Ebay - to be worn at someone elses fancy dress???

Mine was called Connie and was fab as it looked like my normal hair. However, I couldn't be bothered wearing it and only had it on 3 times. OH put it on a polystyrene head on a table outside the loo and the cat used to stare at it, like it was a shrine..................

Hi All regarding Wigs... I call mine Anne Boleyn!!!!

hi all ,hope your all as well as can be expected, my wigs called `ebay` cos thats wheres shes going to end up on...........never wore her she made my head itch and be very hot like the chemo was`nt making me hot enough , anyway gonna put her up on ebay unless i can find a organisation that takes bc wigs n passes em on.........caroleann

I have caught my cat eyeing mine up a couple of times ... they are currently being worn by 2 empty water bottles in the bedroom opposite the end of my bed

am hoping he doesn't decide to pick a fight with them ... or even worse - PEE on them! ....
love FB xx

I keep calling mine Tom as in 'what are you doing there Tom?' because I leave it in some strange places and keep thinking its my cat! Cat remember what its actually called.....come to think I can't actually remember much at the minute - another side effect of the chemo! x

leah, but i attached her to a string on the fence to tease the squirrels,
needless to say i prefer commando!
julie xx

Mine is called Max - for those of you that remember the comic Max Wall who used to pull a wig on half way through his act.

I just called mine the " RED RAT " and was so glad to be shot of it.
love Andrea x

Love the name Doris - I used to use it many moons ago when single. Any 'ugly' bloke that came chatting me up - told them my name was Doris...........they soon left me alone!!

Anita

mine are "ladies in waiting" ... let's hope they stay that way .... they may even turn into permanent wallflowers with any luck!

more seriously I call them "posh" - for obvious reasons .... and "Doris" ... this is the one that looks like my mum!

Mines called 'posh' and colour is coffee liqueur

I just call mine Wiggy.....and she sits on my vase to keep her shape. !!

Mine's called Lisa; she's now fully house trained!

What's your wig called?

Hi
Anyone who has been to buy a wig, did yours have a ridiculous name? Mine are called Audrey and Blush. I may rename Blush to Dapne or Phyllis (sorry anyone out there called these names, it is kindly meant) unless you have a better idea. I hope these new personalities don't make me Jekyll and Hyde.
Take care
Lily x