What tests will they do?

Had two month history of an ache in right armpit area and tenderness to breast no obvious lump felt by myself generally have lumpy breasts! Saw Gp who thought maybe fibrotic breasts not sure so referred me to breast assessment clinic. Have appointment tomorrow not sure what tests they will do as didn’t say in letter. Any advice would be appreciated x

Hello Jj Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00. Best wishes June, moderator

Hi Jj

The usual procedure at the breast clinic, is for a nurse practitioner to have a chat with you about your general health, then give you a manual examination. You will then have a mammogram and an ultra sound test. This is called a ‘triple assessment’. When I went to mine, the doctor did a biopsy of the lump and then found a lymph node and biopsied that too. I had a local anaesthetic before both biopsies, so it didn’t hurt. I got my results one week later. Sometimes it is two, You will have the results explained to you, so take someone with you, and also take a notebook and pen to write down the answers to any questions you might have. 

If it does turn out to be breast cancer, they should also give you a treatment plan and you will probably be assigned a breast care nurse. She will give you a number so that you can ring her with any questions you forgot to ask at your appointment.

Please do not Google, just use this site and the Macmillan site for information and advice. 

Sending you hugs, and best wishes. Hoping for a good outcome for you.

Poemsgalore xx

Hi poemsgalore
Many thanks for your advice. Had mammogram and ultrasound they found a cyst. So relieved nothing sinister. Said not worth draining and just to leave alone unless it gets bigger . Thank you for your best wishes x

Hi poemsgalore
Thanks again sending my best wishes to you x