What the doctor said

Hi all
Iam new here I am looking all over trying to make sense of it all.
I went to breast clinic last Tuesday with a small lump in my left breast.
Dr said we need a mamogram and scan had both then waited to see doc for results, after an hour was called back to scan room the nurse told me Prof wanted to do the scan again,he told me the lump was dead fatty tissue maybe a injury?anyway he told me then that the mamaogram had shown somthing else.Did not say what but I would need to have two biopsies.
it appears what they saw was a leison? during the biopsy on the lump the Dr said it dose not look sinister but if it is we have got it early what does that mean Iam going out of my mind with worry back on tuesday for next biopsy how long does it take for results and can they tell without results just by looking? If anyone reads this ranting then thank you.
Jill

Hi Jill
I know its really hard to say but try not to worry (much easier said than done i know)!!!
They are probably doing another scan just to make double sure and that its nothing sinister. You have done the right thing by getting it checked out. I am afraid to say that unfortunately it is a waiting game and it is the unknown!!! :(( Keep positive It took a week for my biopsy results so just to prepare you. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, all the very best of luck for Tuesday, please let me know how you get on and if i can help in any way just shout.
Kaz

Hi Jill waiting is dreadful and it’s something that comes with the territory, just hold on to the fact that most lumps are not a cause for worry, you say prof? which part of the country are you in ?? I had 7cm tumor (lump) 14 years ago!!! try not to worry lovie tues will come soon enough, results generally take a week to 10 days in my experience but it does depend, the hosp will usually tell you when you can expect results XX let us know how you get on Jxxx

Hi Jill,

the waiting is so awful at this early stage and I do feel for you :(. With the first biopsy you mention - was it with a fine needle? Sometimes they do another type of biopsy which rather than take fluid(cells) from the lump it takes a tiny piece of tissue. It makes a sound like a tiny gun shot! lol can’t think how else to describe it and maybe that is the second one you are going back for. I do remember on my very first encounter with breast cancer having an fna (fine needle aspiration) and the consultant saying to me that it looked sinister and I asked him how he knew. He just said ‘experience’. It sounds to me like he is being very careful to be sure it isn’t sinister and this 2nd biopsy will tell him either way. I note you call him the Prof - so it seems you have a very experienced person looking after you. You aren’t by any chance at the Marsden? If so, in my experience, they are very quick at getting results back. I don’t think anyone will think you are ranting :slight_smile: - so come back as often as you feel you need to.

Dawn
xx

Hi Dawn

it was a core biopsy they looked at the lump but the mamogram found somthing else so they are doing two biopsies on the left side in 2 different places.
jill