What to use on my hair???

Hi

I finished chemo in July and my hair is now growing back. It is different lengths all over but at its longest about 1 inch. I have decided to brave it without any wig or headscarf. A lot of the hair is straight but amongst it is lots of fluffy wavy stuff that won’t lie flat abd it looks a bit silly. I don’t wnat a wet look look but would welcome any advice on products people have found good for taming the fluff.

Viv xx

Hi,

I use a matt wax, I’ve tried loads and the best brands I’ve found are toni and guy and Bedhead. The bedhead one I use is like a stick in a metal tube, works very well.

Yay to hair.

Em x

Hi Viv,

This may not be exactly what you’re looking for but when I was in your situation I was lucky to be part of a trial for a new Wella Professionals product in their Wella SP Hair Alchemy range. It was a serum called Balance Scalp Energy Serum which you smooth on your wet scalp and allow to dry without rinsing. I’m certain it made my regrowth thicker and stronger and my hair is better now than before I lost it. My hairdresser can’t believe how good it has turned out. Unfortunately I think it’s only available through their salons now but there is a whole range of styling and strengthening treatments in the collection. If you google “wella hair alchemy” you should find the website or send my a pm and I’ll give you the link if you’re interested.

Jan xx

I use wax too, a V05 one in a blue tub.

But if your hair is all different lengths, consider going for your first trim to help keep it tidy. It’ll help the regrowth stay nicer and more manageable. I’ve had two cuts now, since end of chemo at the end of March.

Mine has come back in tight curls where it was straight before, so the wax helps define them.
If you’ve not used wax before, start with only a little and rub it between your palms before running your hands through your hair. I’m also careful after my shower to towel my hair down flat, otherwise it dries in an odd position before I get to the wax stage (usually the last part of my getting up routine!).

My hairdresser gave me a Paul Mitchell gel for blow drying out the curl. I did buy some hair straighteners but they were so hot they terrified me. I found using the gel and a very small round brush was OK, then I broke it up a bit with wax - I like the Charles Worthington one in the little pale blue tin.

I had a short crew cut around the October time, by the following January I was able to start having it trimmed. The ends were always a bit frizzy so it was good to get rid of them every 6 weeks. It took another 6 months before the curl went completely. I then lived with it being silver for 2 years, then I had it done a very soft blonde earlier in the year, which is only 2 shades on from silver. Great as it doesn’t show the roots!

Thanks for all your replies. I too have used the Wella balanced scalp serum and shampoo given to me by my hairdresser before I lost my hair and though its growing it the texture I can’t manage. Its not long enough to use a brush or straighteners yet so I am just using my hands to smooth down. I will try the wax.

Viv xx

Hi there
I have about two and a half inches of hair at present and it is totally curly, a real nightmare !

I have some Trevor Sorbie moulding wax, i use a small amount to flatten down the front and define the curls at the back.

Mine is also too short for straighteners, but when it is long enough…well that will be it…straighteners all the way!

I finished treatment in november 2009 and my hair is almost at my shoulders in thick crazy curls. When it was shorter i used wax to flick the front up in a quiff as this was the most crazy part! Now, with a lot of hair that front bit still stands up and i have to clip it down! Frizz ease has helped, as has a volumising mousse.A good haircut helped too.

good luck. it does get better if not a little different from every before!

OMG Evie,your hair is at your shoulders??? One year after chemo finished?
Mine is not even three inches after nearly five proper months of growth…what is happening?

Why is it not growing?

:frowning:

Having lost my hair 3 times already (and soon to be 4) the only thing that has been any use during the “growing back” stage is tresemme serum - it is hard to find and comes in a thin clear upright dispenser with a black label, but I have never found anything as good - despite trying lots of stuff - it is fantastic!

Naz - are you still having herceptin as mine has not grown as long on that as it did without it??

Hi Phardy
No, i am not on Herceptin, Tamoxifin only now.
I have some of that serum for my daughters hair, but i am concerned that it is just not growing as fast as it should be.

You have lost your hair three times already? Goodness, what stage are you at now?

Hi everyone - finished chemo 3rd March and you all lost my hair. Started growing slowly by May and went on holiday at beginning of July had a little longer than GI Jane. However by the end of the 2 weeks it had started to grow rapidly. My hair was always very coarse and curly and grew fairly fast, and it came back even more so (it was like a wire-haired terrier). I discovered a shampoo and conditioner that really softened it, therefore making it much easier to style. The shampoo is L’Oreal Elvive Smooth-Silk Intense Anti-frizz. I have been using the 2in1 shampoo and conditioner but think they can be bought separately. Last week when it was about 1 1/2 inches all over I had it cut to a lovely elfin style, very short and so far have got rid of all curls. This shampoo is worth a try as it is not too expensive. Good luck. Marli