What was the point of second ultrasound?

Hi sorry for yet another post but my consultant appmt has been put back til fri and I’m more anxious than ever…I have hrade 2 invasive and told after it was found on a second biopsy that I’m to have lumpectomy rads then meds which I can cope with just about. I have had an mri now and yesterday had another ultrasound. The first ultra showed nothing neither did mammo on the second she checked my lymph nodes and again couldn’t see anything but said only mri could tell for sure, and could only just see the lump which is 8 mm.

So my concerns are: 1. Will the mri show if it has spread? 2. Will it show lymph node involvement if so why did I need another ultrasound? 3. How likely is the treatment plan to deviate from what has been planned? As I’m fairly fortunate all things considered with that so far.

Trying to keep calm

Rebecca x

Hi Rebecca,

This part of the process when undergoing investigations is always the pits.

Presumably you had the breast MRI scan & contrast dye, from my understanding this is just to check if there are any further ‘hot spots’ that need looking at. It sounds like they are being thorough, so that you get the best treatment plan for your diagnosis, it will feel much better once this stage is over. It might be an idea to speak to your bcn if you need further clarification.

ann x

Thank you Ann. Yes it was the dye thing then I had another ultrasound. Get results Friday. X

This is exactly what has happened to me, mammogram, repeat mammogram, ultrasound and biopsies, MRI and just found out today I need another ultrasound and don’t really understand why.  Can you tell me if anything further showed up on your final ultrasound please.

jane

Hi Jane

It appears the second ultrasound was to see if there was spread to the lymph nodes. Nothing showed on this which is good but until he removes a lymph node (I have WLE booked for this thurs 17th) I won’t know for sure if there is lymph node involvement or not. However I’m told the ultrasound is 75% accurate so that is an encouraging sign.

I’m wondering if they should of done another mammo as mine was clear apparently but now they are talking about lymph node tests and what they were looking for on mri shouldn’t something have shown up? I am ‘only’ 41 so denser breast tissue but given what they are talking about now it’s puzzling?

Hope this somehow answers your question. Your BCN may shed some light on it but I’m keeping my distance from mine personally as she just seems to make me worry more by springing possible chemo on me amongst other things.

Rebecca x

I haven’t had any biopsy on lymph nodes so hence second ultrasound I guess. So if you have already had biopsies that came back clear I don’t know why a second ultrasound is being done. It is so confusing trying to understand a condition that none of us wanted to know about in the first place! X