cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you REALLY like to do?

25 REPLIES 25
Lilac

Re: What would you REALLY like to do?

This one wasn't really planned - more a spur of the moment thing, but great fun. OH, daughter and I took part in a Guinness Book of Records world record beating attempt yesterday for the largest chain of people eating ice-cream. Our chain had over 2700 people, beating the previous world record!

maltomlin

I always wanted to travel but was tied to work. I loved my job but had the chance to take early retirement a few months after dx. Now I just make the most of the time travelling. We are off to Mallorca next week. touring France in September, a cruise round Central America in February, followed by a cruise to the Bahamas and another round the Eastern Med. later in the year.

I just want to make the most of my time.

Mal

Lilac

Bird - Your tiger comment made me think of a joke my daughter told me at the weekend:

What did you call the lion tamer?

Claude Bottom!

(ok, she's 9!)

Sheil - I lived and worked in Toulouse for 4 years and loved it. Took my cat with me and she loved it too!

sheil

Same from me, good idea. I'd love to have the eye laser surgery but they won't do it with me cos I've only got one fixable eye so they won't risk it. I was fortunate a few years back to be able to give up work, made quilts, did pottery, and found being 'creative' was lovely. But that was another life, and now back working at a desk job.

But my hope is to get just a bit more of the mortgage paid off and then do the year in Provence thing, or a year in Chianti, or a year anywhere that is warm and foreign and has nice food and wine and scenery. I think this may happen in a year or so. I'm still on a contract which may end early next year, but we're almost at the point where we could just about afford it. Too cautious to say that we'd sell up and move, until we'd tried it out, learned a bit of the language, and most importantly, would the dog like it?? I love the thought of taking him into restaurants like they do in France. Not sure he'd be well enough behaved though?

S

Bird

Great thread!

I am already doing a job that I love - nursing. I have to say that I love it even more now. I have singing lessons every week which I love. I really enjoy singing its a good release. I would love to be in a band! My husband sings and is a fine guitarist - we have a music room set up , but we just spend too much time talking about getting a band together and not really doing anything about it!! Hopefully after this year when all treatment is over we will crack on with it!! Would love to get back into am dram - but unfortunately all the groups around here do either plays or operatics which I ain't into. I would uttely love to do more panto - probably my favourite show to be in. Love all that he's behind you stuff!!!!!

Would also love to work with tigers, if I ever get bored of looking after humans then thats what I'll do instead. Went to Rome just before xmas - a place I had always wanted to visit - fab place. Fancied a cruise for a long time - me and hubby are doing that later on this year. Finally get our honeymoon which was postponed from last year. hoorah!! Planning a snowboarding holiday to Canada next year - again another place I have wanted to go to for a long time.

Fanatsy is to give up work all together and just party! Travel the world and party some more, oh yeah and shop shop shop!!!! Buy as many shoes and dresses as I can!! Other fantasy is to be a top film star and be in many films with Johnny Depp!!!

So yeah I am pretty darn happy with all the exciting stuff thats happening in my life! I grab every opportunity I can now and I never never turn down a social invitation!!

Take it easy
Bird
xxxx

Lilac

Lucky you, Hatty! What do you do?

hatty

I wouldnt do anything different, im lucky to have done and still doing what i want to.

oldandlumpy

oh thats a shame, i would be lost without mine. Any restriction at all on the bridge of my nose makes me feel dizzy so glasses are a no no

maude

Hi OAL

I have disposable contact lenses I wear when I got out but to be honest I don't find them very comfortable and I keep having to go to the ladies to put eye drops in! I have tried all different types of lenses - soft, hard, gas permeable - but I find them too uncomfortable. I think it is because my eyes are a bit dry.

Love
Maude xx

surfie

OAL
You got it, I like books like that as well, I hardly ever read novels now. I get a monthly catalogue from Postscript books and order online - they stock remaindered books not novels except the odd classic and they are about half price.
I have so many unread now that at my present slow rate of reading I'll never get through them in my lifetime.

oldandlumpy

have you tried disposable contact lenses?? I have monthlies that are a new material that lets your eyes breath, they are soft ones. I still do not like sticking my finger in my eye but its better than glasses. I only have them in one eye. Both my eyes have good distance vision but they both also need glasses for reading. So if you wear a reading contact lense in one eye, your brain is clever enough to use one eye for distance and the other for reading. Absolutely brilliant, no on/off on/off all day

maude

Thanks June

I was told my treatment would cost £4000 for both eyes. I can take advantage of the interest free credit. (I am not sure if it is the same company you used)

At the moment I need my glasses for distance and I take them off to read but apparently the trade off for me would be I would be able to see distances but would need to wear glasses to read if I have the laser treatment. I would prefer this because it means I don't have to wear glasses all the time.

One of my main problems is I find contact lenses uncomfortable. Also my prescription has changed very slightly but I can't adapt to my new frames/prescription so I am wearing old fashioned, shabby glasses that I have worn for about 16 years! No one seems to know why I can't adapt to my new prescription because it is only a tiny change!

Maude xx

gypsylady

Maude.

Was the cost of lasering so much?

I had both eyes done last October. I qualified for £395 per eye. It was fantastic, Only I didnt realise I had been relying on the reading section of my varifocals so much so now it's reading glasses on / reading glasses off, all day. As for driving and distance, WOW!

If you could use a voucher for £150 discount then PM me as they send me vouchers all the time.

Love
June

oldandlumpy

i love that sort of thing. i will see if i can get it on amazon. I am curreently in the middle of "the help" a novel about black maids in america--fascinating book

surfie

OAL
Have you read 'the trampled wife' by Derek Parker? A biography of Mary Eleanor Bowes, the queens great-great-great-great-grandmother. An insight into the way women were treated! She may well be a relative of yours!

mekalar

Lilac thats wonderful you'll do great at them all im sure & well done for just going for it .. I have wanted to become qualified hypnotherapy & was about to embark on doing some angel healing causes that I wanted to do for a long while before my diag .. its true we just need that push & I think my BC has made me realise I need to just grab the bull with both horns & DO IT
:)

Mekala x

oldandlumpy

surfie how odd with the art and maths similarity, I also went into computing but it was very well paid, stopped it to have the kids and never started again.

oooh yes! family tree, will definatley do that one day when i am old and desk bound. My grandmothers maiden name was bowes lyon (spelling?) and she used to act as a queen mother double, --wonder if i have any royal blood in me??

Lilac

OAL and Surfie: - I took up painting a few years ago as a hobby and it really took off. I exhibit a couple of times a year now. I don't make enough to make a career of it, but it's a therapeutic hobby that pays for itself and the occasional treat for me.

Maude: - go for it!

maude

Don't know if this sounds strange but I would love to have my eyes lasered so I don't have to wear glasses or contact lenses any more! I had a consultation a couple of years ago but I couldn't afford to have it done. We are a bit better off financially now so I am seriously considering it. I feel a bit guilty spending that amount of money on myself though!

Love
Maude xx

surfie

Hi OAL,
Similar to you - I wanted to go to Art School but ended up doing the maths degree. I did get to Art School for a year once married but kids got in the way and I started late into a not well paid computing job. Moving 12000 miles in middle age has screwed the finances but since a couple of earthquakes have recently smashed up my past I'm very glad I did.

At the back of my mind I'd like a studio to potter round in - I adore the smell of oil paints. It won't happen until we stop renting and there isn't much time left from working anyway - but I can dream!

ragamuffin

I'd like to visit The Hermitage in St Petersburg- I will one day! I'm so much closer now than I was in Sydney.

I'd also like to go to Cananda and track down relatives- my grandmother's sister emmigrated a hundred years ago and contact has been lost.

Lilac I agree with the others it's a great idea for a thread

ChoccieMuffin

Take a leisurely trip round Europe in the camper van, just me and significant other. He's already got the camper van, just have to save up the money to make it happen, but it's on the cards for next year...

Ninja

Mine are based round travel. I was my mother's carer for decades from when I was 17 till I was 43 and do couldn't get around much but now I'm free and we have had a few nice holidays.
Since she died I've learned to ski, scuba dive, sail, be a qualified mountain leader etc so I'm all up to date in these sort of areas!

What we fancy first off is a long motor tour of French villages; I'd need to finish work to get the time off. Then ultimately, touring right round the coast of Australia. Then the rest of wherever we fancy.

Nice idea for a thread.

Cm19

Lovely idea Lilac. I have recently started piano lessons - something I always wanted to do. I am editing a book which has been on the go for 3 years and I hope to somehow get it published. I took up photography last year and seem to have an eye for it too. Cooking has always been a passion but a friend suggested to me to make a new recipe every day. There are far too many great ones to repeat things over and over. I've always wanted to see Arran so we took a trip there in May for my birthday. I have become quite obsessive re diet but the other evening was so pretty my sister and law and I took my nephew up the coast and ate fish and chips looking out at the sea. I too fancy New York but my husband is from the South in US so am still working on that one. There are many many more things to go onto my list too. Enjoy the moments huh!!!
Cx

oldandlumpy

at school the art teacher wanted me to go to art college an the drama teacher wanted me to apply to RADA. But the headmaster told me i was a working class girl, from a poor school and the best thing i could do was go to university and get a maths degree (no one from my school or anyone i knew had ever gone to university) He said get a good start in life and then you can think about art or drama.

well that seemed like good advice, and i got my degree and my well paid job in computing. But I never went back to art or acting except a couple of drawing classes on holiday.

I have the time to do it now, but drumming takes up all my time and energy and anyway I think it is nice to have something you still want to do. Come the day I am no longer fit enough to drum I will turn my studio into an art studio and take classes and join the local amateur dramatics.

Lilac

What would you REALLY like to do?

I posted this on another thread a while back:

BC has changed my attitude to life. Been thinking lately about all the things I've fancied doing but either never got round to or classed as fantasies. So I decided to set about doing some of them and have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been to make them happen.

One thing was to be a catwalk model. I mentioned this to a neighbour over a cup of coffee the other day and it turns out she is organising a fashion show for a local charity in September. So I am signed up! Another was to sing in a band. When I told my brother this (he used to sing/play guitar in pubs and clubs), he told me he was putting together a band with a friend and needed a female voice. Another is to go on a shopping trip to New York with my daughter (hubby can come too, to carry the bags!) so I'm going to open a savings account and try to put something away regularly so I can make it happen."

I've got lots more things on my list! So, what sorts of things would you - my BCC friends - like to do? They can be realistic or completely in the realms of fantasy - it's fun to dream!

Lilac x