69.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheatgrass, supplements and exercise questions....

12 REPLIES 12
Kess

Re: Wheatgrass, supplements and exercise questions....

I checked with my onc about taking a multi vitamin. He said a normal dose one is fine, and although not normally needed as I have a bit of a restricted diet he said it wouldn't hurt.p even if it doesn't do much! I think the advice varies but always best to check if you plan to take something.
Roxie65

I know I wish I knew what was best and also if you avoid the few days after chemo if you could take these things the other but my onc just said no. I have bought o much stuff for immunity but now scared to take it incase in interferes lol. Still after chemo has finished my immunity will be built right up with all the supplements I have to use lol
mummy2dolly

That's the thing, the advice doesn't seem to be consistent...... I asked the nurse at my 2nd chemo today, he didn't appear to know what probiotics were..... Or wheatgrass...... He went and asked the consultant and came back and said that they weren't advised but if I wanted to carry on taking them I could 😳. I've seen some reports that wheatgrass and probiotic tablets help the side effects....... And then I there's saying they *may* interfere with the chemo, but no actual concrete evidence.........
Roxie65

Hi

I asked my oncologist about diet, exercise and supplements.  She told me to eat a pregnancy diet and make sure all food especially if eating out was well cooked.  She told me to avoid all supplements as some can interfere with the chemo working to its full potential(I did read somewhere that vitimin C in high supplement form can but not sure if this is true).  She said my food should provide all I need.

She told me I could continue running but listen to my body as although exercise is very good for immunity, tiredness is not and has a negative effect.  She also told me I could swim but a friend was told this is in the sea only as pools carry many infections.  My Oncologist did not add that but 6 years ago my husband was seriously ill from an overdosed chlorine pool at a holiday camp over here and if he hadn't been such a big fella it would have killed him so I personally have avoided the swimming pool at all costs.

Hope this helps.

Roxie x

coffeegirl

Hi, I have been given a booklet regarding do's and don'ts during chemo. I'm afraid probiotics should be avoided along with live/bio yoghurts and yoghurt drinks, other foods to avoid are blue veined cheese,soft cheeses,shellfish pâté, homemade mayonnaise mousses and soufflés, raw meat and fish and homemade ice cream. Hope this helps x
hbunny

It certainly does maryland, thanks.  Think i will need to try out a few looks and get some confidence firrst though.

Take care.  Hbunny 

Maryland

Hi Hbunny....I only wore my wig once as I got it before my thick curly hair fell out so it was far too big. Held onto it in the supermarket carpark and all round the store seriously worried it would fly off and gave up! For exercise I wore little caps from annabandana I think, cotton baseball/golf hats, headwrap (bandana) or a 'buff' depending on weather. None ever fell off, and 7 months after chemo when my fluffy chick hair started to return, I went commando! Hope some of that helps....all the best for your treatment

hbunny

Hi ladies, im not quite as far down the road as you lovely people.  Looking at starting chemo in the next 3-4 weeks.  I was hoping to continue with my exercise regieme throughout (possibly a little ambitious!) body combat, yoga, spin and swimming (although have been advised against swimming due to infection risks).  Just wondered if anyone has any advice re exercise and wigs/headwear - not keen on the idea of loosing the hair during a class!  Many thanks.  Hbunny xxx

Maryland

Hi.....so much conflicting advice out there so best to check with your team...although you say they haven't given you any real advice, so it might be worth nagging or at least asking the nurses who administer your chemo. I swam through chemo in a chlorinated school pool except for the low immune days...between days 7 and 14 depending on which chemo regime you're on. Just took the usual safety precautions i.e. thoroughly showering before/after and personally checking that day's pool tests. Didn't suffer any ill effects, although others may have had a different experience. I also worked all through chemo in a school, with Onc's support (and raised eyebrows!); again not for everyone. For me this level of 'normality' and control over my life (if not my body!) I am sure supported my recovery both physically and mentally. Like you was very fit beforehand and had read extensively that exercise through treatment can mitigate tiredness and fatigue. I also walked lots and did yoga. The effects of chemo are cumulative, and after the 5th and 6th infusions I did get quite slow and fuzzy headed! If you can phone the BCC helpline, you will find that helpful in the absence of advice from your team. As for food, best to follow a pregnancy type diet as we are supposedly more at risk from ourselves i.e. eating dodgy food and infection from cuts and grazes than from others. I drank green tea (disgusting stuff sorry) through chemo as I think the piece of research about its impact on chemo is about a specific type of chemo. Was advised not to take supplements to avoid any impact on chemo. Do what feels right for you, after thoroughly checking out all reliable sources of information e.g. BCC, MacMillan, Cancer Research. I am nearly 2 years out now from WLE/SLNB/FEC-T chemo/23 rads + anastrozole and most of the time it feels like this all happened to someone else! All the best for the rest of your treatment....take care

Jackie09

Yes. Sorry - that's the advice - certainly for shared pools
mummy2dolly

Avoid swimming 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Why is that? Germs in pool?
Jackie09

Hi mummytodolly,

Wow! I take my hat off to you - re all of your exercise! I'm afraid I don't know any specifics re the items you listed, but wanted to reply. I have heard that in general, ladies on chemo should follow roughly a pregnancy diet, use only trusted fast food outlets and keep away from salad bars. I've been drinking green tea - didn't know it wasn't allowed! I think depend on who/where you ask, there is a lot of advice out there! Anything I'm not sure about, I save to ask my oncologist. I know of other ladies who have asked about supplements whilst on chemo and generally they say no - but I think it depends entirely on wht they are- can you ask your doctor?
On my monthly thread, there is a lady living abroad and one piece of advice she wasn't told, which is really drummed into us in the UK is to monitor our temperatures. Anything over 35.5, we have to call our unit for advice as it could be a sign of an infection.

I think another common one to avoid is swimming and some body massages and to avoid people with colds, flu, sniffles, etc.
As for exercise, it's as you say - listening to your body so you'll know when you've had enough.
Good luck.with everything x x
mummy2dolly

Wheatgrass, supplements and exercise questions....

Hi there, I started my 4 x 3 weekly AC chemo 11 days ago, and just have some general questions re supplements etc. I live in the UAE and have been given absolutely zero information for dos and don'ts while getting treatment. It was only that a friend mentioned not being allowed green tea that I started to wonder if I'm doing the right thing? I am currently taking wheatgrass tablets x 5 a day and have been for a few months now, I also take high potency probiotics and I juice every morning for breakfast (greens, mainly veg). Has anyone out there been told that this isn't advisable? Or indeed been told anything about wheatgrass? I've googled and from what I can see it's ok to take, I really don't want to jeapordise the treatment but like the idea that the wheatgrass may aid the side effects somewhat....
The other thing is exercise, I've got people telling me not to 'overdo' it....... Pre surgery and chemo I was very fit and exercised every day, well I haven't really stopped that but I have moderated but now I'm 8 weeks post op theoretically I can restart the strength training etc..... Since the first chemo I've ran 5k 3 times and today I went back to my spin class.... This has got to be good right? Is there any reason why I have to 'not push myself'? I am very good at listening to my body and if I need to rest I really will but at the moment I feel strong..... Is that very abnormal after starting chemo?

Thanks for any thoughts you want to throw at me 🙂