When can I dye my hair after cold capping?

I finished chemo (6 x FEC) 9 weeks ago and my hair stopped shedding about two weeks ago. I lost around 50% of my hair and what I have now is thin with lots of grey. It is growing back and the very thin patches have filled in nicely but I am desparate to dye it but am scared it will start to shed again.

Any advice from previous cold cappers most welcome.

Thanks
Jayne x

bump

Hi Jayne,
I gave up on the cold cap after two treatments, so am probably not the best person to answer you, but hopefully this will bump the thread up and it will be seen by someone who knows. However, with almost total hair loss, I was told it was inadvisable to dye “new” hair until six months after chemo has finished. I suppose it would be logical to assume this would apply to your newly growing hair?
Hope someone has a better answer soon!

Hi Jayne
I used the cold cap and hair thinned but had a lot of grey roots. I used Daniel Field natural hair dye after 4 weeks of finishing my chemo 3 x FEC and 3 x T. It covered the grey and is very gentle I loved the results best to order over the phone rather than on line and they are very helpful when you call.
Good luck

Thanks Starkhia, I had seen Daniel Field advertised and wondered if the products were good so thank you so much for sharing, I will give them a call.

Jayne x

Hi Jayne
I finished FEC x6 in December and used the cold cap for them all. I still lost about 70% but it is growing back quite fast and is very grey. Like you I have been wondering when to hit the bottle but am a bit scared of trying in case it discourages new growth. Please keep us informed how you get on with Daniel field and maybe I will give it a go.
Lol

Hi ladies,
ive just started my first fec-t treatment yesterday. I’m desperate to keep as much Of my hair as possible so I too am cold capping. Just wondered if you guys had any tips seeing as you kept a decent amount of your hair? I’m going to try to avoid washing and heat products as much as possible. I have long hair and I’m usually an avid straightener!
Thanks x

Cocobutterfly - I left my hair for at least 48 hours after each chemo then washed it every 6 days or so with Dove shampoo and conditioner - it needs to be PH neutral (not PH balanced). I combed it gently once a day and when washed, let it dry naturally. I sleep on a silk pillowcase as that is far more gentle on the hair too. My hair did shed throughout the treatment but luckily never in clumps although I was sporting a very thin patch at the back of the crown (I got good at combovers!). The main thing is that I never had to wear a wig, scarf or hat and as I have a real aversion to any form of headcovering that was a relief for me. Good Luck xx

Lolo101 - I will try the Daniel Field dye once I am back from Lanzarote after Easter as I will then be back to work - I have worked all the way through treatment mainly from home with a few days in the office but after the holiday I will be aiming to be back in the office most days and want to look more like old me! I darent dye it before the holiday as the sun on dyed hair might dry it out too much.

Jayne x

Hi Jayne
I meant to say I left it on for one and a half hours as advised because of my grey hair good luck

Maureen

I rang Daniel Fields this morning, lovely helpful staff… explained I’m halfway through fec, she says I can colour it now if I want. We discussed best colours for me etc, I then went online and ordered.
Im going to get it cut first as looking ratty at the ends and want to goshorter, as well as ensuring that the quality of the hair left is at its best for colouring.
im hoping that because I’ve managed to keep most of my hair (cold capper) that I will feel and look better in myself.
Good luck
Maggie