When to go back to work?

Hi Ladies,

I have another question.  I had a WLE and Sentinel lymph node biopsy on 3rd,May and was given a sick note for two weeks off work.  My review meeting is Thursday May and all being well I am hoping I will be able to go back to work then but I’m not sure if I will feel up to it 're the bruising and also driving.

How long have you been signed off for ? Xo

Lizzy

Had the same op.  I was given a sick note from teh hospital for two weeks and my GP then gave me one for another two weeks, I actually ended up having 6 weeks off, but that was because my boss insisted that waited until I had my results before I came back.  I then went back on reduced hours of 3 days a week for 4 hours a day until after I finished my radiotherapy.

I know that it was too long for me as I was climbing up the wall by the end of it, but I think it is really up to you to decide what works for you however I would suggest perhaps another couple of weeks off

Helena xxx

Don’t push yourself to go back if you don’t feel up to it Lizzie. If you have the luxury of a number of weeks sick pay in your job I’d take advantage. Once you are back you are back and I’ve always found that if you look okay people expect you to be able to perform as normal and real life kicks in before you know it. Perhaps that’s what you want and some people find the routine a good mental distraction but I’d advocate making sure you feel better both physically and mentally before committing to full time again. Remember, you have a lot more years working I’m sure. Take some time for you if you can.

Ruth xx

Hi Lizzie, my op was last year and I was aiming for 2 weeks off work and think I would have been ok to go back but had to have a re-excision due to unclear margins so that meant another 2 weeks off and as I work in a school office it was then the Easter holidays so I ended up returning after Easter (6 weeks after op). You need to listen to your body and don’t feel under pressure to go back if you just aren’t ready.  One piece of advice I would give is to make sure you do the excercises regularly after your op and snb. I was surprised how much my armpit in particular ached but after a week of doing the exercises the stiffness had reduced significantly.  Take care and all the best for your recovery. Michelle xx

Hi Lizzie

i was wondering this too.  Think my meeting will be on Weds or Thurs too.  I work in a school and have a long distance to drive so was thinking I might get signed off until the following Thurs and then go in on the last day of half term.  I probs won’t be driving until mid next week and I don’t wast a fifty min commute drive to be my first drive in.  Plus, schools are really tough places pgysically and awful places if you are not chipper.  I felt really good this morning, shower, took dressing off under arm, went out for breakfast, bobbed in to see a friend.  Am now completely exhausted from essentially being driven around and some mild stimulus.   

I have holiday booked away over half term and really want to go on this so would rather that I go away for the sake of my family and husband than bust a gut at work and be too ill to go.  I do think by the third week I will sort out emails and perhaps go in a couple of half days so that when I go back after half term I can be back to normal until radiotherapy.

Hi!
I work in a school as well…I will have had 8 weeks off for my 2 ops! My oncology appt isn’t until 19 th June! Do I go back for a couple of weeks after half term…not up to it at the moment.

Sandra x