cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I get hair again?

14 REPLIES 14
rachy7

Re: When will I get hair again?

Hello ladies. I am on my 3rd cycle of xeloda and my hair is returning thick and fast (all fell on epi). It is all fluffy and soft like baby hair.My eyebrows are also bushing out nicely.

Rach x

Guest user
Not applicable

Last taxol 16th May eyelashes signs of ... eyebrows anywhere but where they should be.....head1/8 inch soft grey and fluffy..... face sadly same as head.....
If still alive will work as Santa in store at Christmas!

Love Debsxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hate to say this but i am 2 and half years after chemo finished and i still cant go out without a wig or head scarf.! They tell me it will never grow back now and its the taxatere. So when your BCN or onc tell you it ALWAYS grows back, THEY ARE WRONG.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone
Have just started to get hair back Homeopath that i see told me to treat it like babies hair and have it trimmed ! evey week just the very ends and it will grow back quicker and thicker just had second "hair cut " went to a party on Saturday and told i looked "funky" think people are just being kind!
Much love
Kate

Katie61

Hi Greenpea,I finished chemo 12 weeks ago and it was slow to come back but in the last 2 weeks my hair has really improved, I have a 'cap' of hair and very little in the way of scalp to be seen. Its cheered me up no end, th elight is at the end of the tunnel!

My eyelashes and eyebrows are also coming back in really quickly. 2 weeks ago I had virtually no bottom lashes and now there are lots of little ones coming in. I was on a sun holiday and I think the heat helped, it was great to have no head covering most of the time and it must have helped.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the wine, eh I mean weddings!

katie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Greenpea

- headcovers do a 'fringe' as opposed to a wig - you can go with just a fringe or an all round fringe. the fringe on its own stays on you other headcovering with velcro. the all round one has some bands to keep it on. The joy is much reduced heat - the other joy is the all round one is only 34$ !! In all colours too ... worth a look - cheaper than a new hat for weddings !

My hair is only just gone - so can't say what I'll be doing yet....
Td x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Greenpea

I too like Margaret took the decision mid chemo to remove all head coverings - it actually happened one day in the middile of Marks and Spencer when I got so fed up with people staring at my beanie hat that I just whipped it off to let them all have a proper look - it was so liberating walking home feeling the breeze against your head - strange at first obviously because you know that people are looking at you and they are - but eventually you kind of forget as you go about your daily business until you look in the mirror etc - go on try it - it begins to feel like a new version of your old self. I must say after a while you still get fed up of being bald - I tend to wake up each morning expecting shoulder length hair ha, ha.

As for having a few drinks at the wedding - I'm positive that after a night of having a few glasses of vino my hair has actually grown in the morning!! Tee, hee - or maybe that's just the blurred vision!

Take care all of you.

Janey x

judyw47

Hi Greenpea

I finished my FEC 5 weeks ago today and still have a head like a billiard ball (larger of course) Keeping everything crossed that something will appear soon.

Hope yours sprouts quickly.

Regards Judy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi green pea,

Glad that you are feeling more yourself again. I finished my chemo 6 fec five weeks ago and my hair has started growing. I took the step of going without head covering during my third cycle of chemo. Head wear just does not become me! I found it very liberating and actually forget that I haven't any hair. A few stares but mainly followed by a smile so I don't mind them.
It gave me a lot of confidence to be me again instead of hiding away behind head gear.

Margaret

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone

Feeling better today!! Not so maudlin(?spelling).

Normally I am very upbeat but every now nad then I get a bit sorry for myself. What's hair amongst friends huh?
At least I can get to the weddings - and enjoy myself, especially after a few glasses of vino. You never know, the scarf may even come off!
Take care all of you and thankyou for your positive comments.
xx

dawnflower

Hi greenpea

For what it's worth, I have got an inch of hair (still very fine) and eyelashes regrowing and my last chemo was mid March. I would have thought the wedding in a fortnight is too close to see any difference, but the one in August is still a way off.

I don't know how much difference it would make as to what chemo you had but I had 4 x EC and 4 x Taxotere.

Hope you enjoy the weddings.

Dawnflower

xxx

cherub

I t took about 9 months growth for me to be able to uncover my head. I was on Herceptin and it's said to slow down hair growth.

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Tracy thanks for that.
So i'll have to put up with the scarves a little longer yet. I find them so hot now especially with the hot flushes too. I didn't bother with a wig as I thought it wouldn't be that long to put up without hair - how wrong I was! Now, it seems to be a waste of money to buy one as I know I wouldn't wear it afterwards. I've never worn even a hat as I don't like the feel of things on my head. Just my luck I have to go and get BC and lose my hair!!!
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Greenpea,

I finished chemo in Dec 07, and first went commando in April - my hair was still very short but until then it had been very patchy. It is a lot thicker now, but still quite short (about an inch all over) - I put this down to being on Tamoxifen and Herceptin. My eyelashes were really slow growing and, naturally, are coming through faster on one side than the other - typical of my luck!! but I can use mascara and they are getting longer all the time.

Don't worry about not having a lot of hair yet - easier said than done, I know - but it will come back, 6 weeks is quite soon to see any difference.

Hope this info helps and good luck with your treatment,

Tracy x

Guest user
Not applicable

When will I get hair again?

I hope someone can shed some light on this one.
I am 6 weeks post last chemo and 2 weeks into rads and I have just a few very thin straggly baby hairs on my scalp (you can't even see them unless you look really hard) most of my head is bald still. How long is it before I can go without a scarf? I have also lost most of my eye lashes (none on the bottom). How long is it before these grow back too?
I have a wedding in two weeks time and one in August. It would be nice to think I could "go commando" by then.