cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will my periods come back?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: When will my periods come back?

My onc said that if I go 2 years without periods then they consider you to be post menopausal. 9 months and counting for me!
Highlighted

Well it's been a while since I've posted.  Crikey how time moves on!!

Well it's my 3 year diagnosis anniversary this month.  I was 37 at the time.  Periods stopped with my second chemo in April 2013, tamoxifen started in the August.  To date I've had nothing.  I think I resigned to the fact that that's me done with periods really

I too had to get my head around the contraception question...no period no pregnancy??  Anyway being on the cautious side, sent hubby off to the doctors and he had the snip.  Well it's the least he could do I thought to myself.

Being on the tam for some time now, I feel the difference 'down there'.  Am using replens and finding it helpful, though I am often uncomfortable.  Makes me sad really, feeling like I'm aging before my time. 

Highlighted

Hello everyone. I am also wondering whether my periods will return mainly because I would like to know if I need to use protection. Mine stopped last March during the second round of chemo. I have not had any menopausal symptoms although it's hard to tell with all the drug side effects. I am 42 so it's very possible I am still fertile. My Oncologist and my GP have both told me there is no way of knowing one way or the other so I have not thrown out the sanitary stuff yet and am resigned to carry on using protection as there is no way I could deal with a late pregnancy now, particularly as I have a child with a serious illness.

Love and Best wishes Amero xxx

Highlighted

hey Kiss 

My periods stops since 17months now since my second chemo FEC

and didn't get back since that time

i finished chemo on septembre 2014 and still waiting and hoping them back ....

what about you? did you get your periods back since this post ?

i'm 37

Thx

ZZ

Highlighted

Hi glad mine stopped when I was 52 now 66 xx
Highlighted

I finished chemo on June 26th this year - I was on Zoladex injections for 4/5 months, and had my last one in July - been on Tamoxifen for almost 2 months now and still not had any periods - although, like others, I'm not complaining but would be nice to have some kind of warning (also had 15 rounds of rads, so don't know if that would also affect them) - My oncologist did say that it the FEC-T could maybe bring on the menopause, so I don't know if this is it, or the hot flushes I'm getting is just part of the side effects of Tamoxifen!

Highlighted

Mine stopped in May when I started Tax, haven't shown any sign of returning yet (been on ptamoxifen since August). If you do get any unexpected bleeding whilst on tamoxifen, even if you think it's just your periods restarting, it's a good idea to raise it with your breast care team or Dr, so they can rule out anything else causing it.
Highlighted

Thanks ladies.

So expect the unexpected then it is.

I suppose I've always associated regular periods with good health, which is why not having them unnerves me a little. Before BC mine were like clockwork.

Thanks for sharing and shining some light on it for me.

Dianne
Highlighted

Hi Mrs B,

Who knows? is the answer.  I was 44 at dx, chemo stopped my periods, I was 45 when I started tamoxifen and 50 when I stopped.  Two years into tamoxifen I had a one-off bleed - it was investigated as I thought I was menopausal, but was told tamoxifen sometimes does that, nothing to worry about.  So when I finished tamoxifen at 50 I assumed I was well and truly through the menopause.  Three months after finishing tamoxifen  my hot flushes went away - I thought because the tamoxifen was now out of my system - but in fact it was because I had a period!  You could have knocked me down with a feather, there I was, over 50, no periods for over 5 years, if you ignored the one random bleed, and I was having periods again.  So not fair!  For the next twelve months I had four periods, with the hot flushes resumimg in between each one.  Last one was now 12 months ago, I am 52, so is that it now?  Hormones are still clearly all over the place as the hot flushes wax and wane, and every few weeks I get a  monster spot on my chin, like some teenager.

Highlighted

Hi Mrs B, I was 43 when diagnosed, WLE, chemo, rads, tamoxifen, I haven't had a period since my second chemo over 2 years ago, my oncologist says it's highly unlikely they'll return now, I'm not complaining 🙂

Highlighted

Hi I started tamoxifen in sept 2103. My periods stopped and then reappeared in February, April and May, on the same day each month, now they've stopped again ! If it's any help, they were a lot lighter and shorter than before. But I do find I have to carry tampons everywhere just in case. It's a bit Annoying, not knowing , but I gather it is normal. My oncologist doesnt see too bothered. I'm 50 now but was having regular periods beforehand. On the bright side,I saved a fortune in tampons !
Good luck to you
X
Highlighted

When will my periods come back?

Hi lovely ladies

I'm curious to know if and when I might expect my periods to return. My periods stopped with my first chemo March 2013. I've been on tamoxifen since August 2013. I know chemo and tamoxifen can both interfere with periods, and whilst I'm not missing having them as such, am constantly worried that they will reappear at the most inconvenient time. I'm 39, so not menopausal.

Should I expect some irregular bleeding? Is it more likely to be heavier or lighter than normal?

Thanks in advance.