Ollybobs

Are you being treated at the QE?

ollybobs

Re: Where is everyone from?

I'm in Great Barr x
ladybowler
Community Champion

I live in Kings Heath where abouts are you?

ollybobs

Lady bowler where abouts are you?
ladybowler
Community Champion

ollybobs

I am form Birmingham

ollybobs

Anyone from Birmingham?
Daisyboo

Hi Gail I am also newly diagnosed (last week). I have grade 1 ER+. I am also having surgery at the end of the month and radiotherapy at western park. I also don't know if I will need chemo until my op. I have an MRI on Friday at the hallamshire. Please pm me if you would like to maybe meet up as we will likely be st western park at the same time
ArchSA

Healing .... awesome, you've got to see that as a positive?? Wishing you the most positive healing x

queenbee

Not to far as I'm in the village of healing in Grimsby! It's taken me 3/4 years to get my hair to how I like it xx
ArchSA

Yeah, I know, small world ... they live just outside of Brigg!! Me too .... I even thought the other day, I can lose a boob 'cos with the right clothing I can hide it ... but my hair!!?? Everyone that knows me, knows my hair ... even ppl that don't know me comment on my hair ... 

Bouskillg

Hi Daisy, Im Gail and Im from Rotherham so not so far from Sheffield. I am newly diagnosed, it all feels a bit unreal at the moment, the waiting for results turned me into an emotional wreck. Although have to say RDG hospital has been amazing. I have named my cancer 'tiny blobby', hes only 9mm and hes leaving me on 29th June, they tell me unless anything changes post op I will have radiotherapy at Weston Park and I will be eligible to join a trial - instead of having it over 6 weeks I will get it all in a week - seems to be a good idea to get it over with but no idea what it will mean for me physically. Im hoping I dont need chemo but wont know until Tiny is out and under a microscope. The journey is pretty emotional isnt it, I have been so bad tempered with everyone over the weekend. I'm so happy to have found this forum, everyone is so friendly and understanding. Hug from me x

ladybowler
Community Champion

ArchSA and queenbee

If you go on to the chemotherapy monthly threads on going through treatment I am sure that someone on there will be able to explain the eyebrow thing.

Helena x

queenbee

ArchSA really... where abouts do they live? I'm terrified of losing it if I'm honest... it's my children who um thinking of the most my little boy is 4 and bless him he takes it all in and looks after me so much.... I've told him I'm going to loose it but I don't think he understands properly! I'm not sure about the eyebrow thing I'd be interested though x
ArchSA

Ahhhh, queenbee ... you live just around the corner from my Mum and Dad, I wish I did 😕, unfortunately I live in Johannesburg, South Africa ... it's really nice to know I'm not the only one thinking about losing my hair, it's long and curly and almost reaches my waist ... please can someone explain the eyebrow thing???

Daisyboo

Anyone from Sheffield?
Trisha69

My treatment in Exeter x

queenbee

Melia.... it isn't only hair though is it?? It's part of us... our identity... we've already been ripped to nothing poked and prodded and then to lose your hair in order to get better (I know it's only a short price to pay) is a big process to go through. X it will grow back but how is the question... it won't grow back to how it was before I lost it though! X
kittyb

Hi Everyone

I am from Ashby de la Zouch in Leicestershire and being treated at the Glenfield Hospital.

x

Eggster

I am from Wokingham,  and having my lumpectomy in the royal berks in Reading on Monday,  so just down the road from you fuertelover!

Fuertelover

I amfrom Taplow! Maidenhead & had my op on April 3rd at Heatherwood, referred from the Parapet, where they have been wonderful. I was there this afternoon for my oncology appointment to discuss radiotherapy & hormones.  I have looked up & found that Anastrozole tabs contain  lactose & I am lactose intolerant. I had told the oncologist, but she said the pharmacist would look into it, but wouldn't think they could prescribe an alternative, don't quite know what to do !

Melia

Queen bee in totally with you on this im finding the hair thing the hardest to deal with, it has taken me a good 5 years to get my hair the length I wanted it as it would never grow past my shoulders. Regular trims, treatments, overnight conditioners..amd all for nothing. And im sick of people telling me 'it's only hair, it will grow back' that's not the point tho I feel like all my femininity is being taken with this disease. Sorry for that rant haha xx
feelthefear

Hi Melia. I've sent you a private message. Let me know if you receive it. Also, forgot to say. When you ring the beautician as well as mentioning me do tell her that you're due to start chemo. Xxx
feelthefear

If it's any consolation queenbee everyone says I look younger now that I'm rocking my ultra short cut. People have been complimenting me who don't know I've had it cut short for chemo. It is weird though. Bladed eyebrows, short hair cut, one boob. 😳 I do have off days where I don't recognise myself. My hubby says he's slowly getting a brand new wife. He's looking forward to the reconstruction. 😀
Melia I'll private message you the beautician's details. X
queenbee

I will start my chemo sometime in june. My friend suggested having my hair cut shirt before it did start to fall out but I think that will make me worst... knowing that I'm cutting it so not much has to fall out! I'd rather it fall out when it needs to be. To be honest this is the worst part I am dreading out of all off it. I know It sounds vain but it's taken me 3.5 years to get my hair to a length, style and colour I am happy with and then cancer comes along and ruins it! I will be looking at wigs though! X
Melia

I had 2 inches cut of my hair the other day I went in with the intentions of getting it cut into a Bob but wimped out and felt like crying with the 2 inches! God knows how I'll cope if I lose it all! Ah that's great I've been looking for somewhere that does it. Can you private message me the details please x
feelthefear

Also, I've had blading on my eyebrows in preparation. Let me know if you're considering it. A beautician in Sunderland takes 100 off the price for anyone with a medical problem resulting in hair loss. She's brilliant. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give details here. She only charged me £150 and that includes a top up session. It was pretty painless and I'm happy with the result. X
feelthefear

That's great that we may be there at the same time. Although obviously we'd rather be doing other things.
I'm in two minds about cold capping. Wearing a block of ice for a hat doesn't sound very appealing. This is why I've had my hair cut so short. So I'm not so emotional when it falls out. I will be wiping out the bank account to buy a real hair wig though.
I'm considering fasting for 72 hours before and 24 after. X
Melia

Same not sams
Melia

They said about 6/7 weeks about 2 weeks ago... so sounds like we might be starting together! Im in sams boat just waiting on oncoligist appointment chemo not definitely confirmed buy have said to be expected. Are u planning on cold capping? X
feelthefear

Hi melia. My mastectomy results are due this Wednesday, then I'll find out my treatment plan. I've been advised to expect chemo and that my first session will be in around 5 weeks time. When is your first due?
I also had long hair, but decided to have it cut short a couple of weeks ago so that I'm used to it before I start chemo. It's very strange. X
Melia

How many chemos do you havw left I've not started yet. But I will also be sporting a wonky Boob... and I've got long dark hair, though that won't be around for much longer 😞 I do hope I bump into you I need to find a friend im so dcatsd of that initial session xx
Flyingarcher

Happy - both!  Lumpectomy was at Crawley as were the standing mammo bipsies.   Originally seen at East Surrey.  I'm equidistant from both so no worries.  

Carole M

I'm near Chichester, West Sussex
feelthefear

Yeah, the definitely do at Gateshead. I was speaking to my bc nurse about it last week. Who knows, we might bump into each other. If you see a 40 something year old with very short pre chemo hair and one boob considerably larger than the other that could be me. 😀😀
Melia

Ah I didn't even know Gateshead done chemo I thought it was all done at the Freeman. I'll probably stick to their too as easier for me to get too also x
feelthefear

That's good to hear melia. They've done a great job of my mastectomy and if your recon is good then I'll stick to Gateshead for mine too. Chemo will also be at Gateshead as it's easier to get to than Newcastle, although I know NCL are the lead in that area of treatment. I've heard some not so great things about other hospitals so it's worth the half hour journey from home to Gateshead. X
Melia

Feel the fear I'm at Gateshead too.. my reconstruction is amazing..i couldn't have asked for more. I think staff at Gateshead are great too everyone is so nice. I'll be getting chemo at the Freeman though x
Mishy18

Annie, feel the fear, yeah I've heard in great hands being treated in Newcastle Gateshead trust thanks for the tips for op day! I think I'll be relieved to have it out, just have to wait for sn biopsy results then I can finally relax! Xx
feelthefear

Hi Annie. I'm being treated at Gateshead. Someone did suggest I request treatment at the RVI as they're so good, but Gateshead have been great so far. Someone else said Durham is the best for reconstruction. I'll maybe look into that further down the line. X
Anniej
Community Champion

Mishy, surgery at RVI? They were great. Make sure you say you are very anxious and they'll do a nice bit of bedazzle juice for you. Won't feel a thing. Make sure you can get clothes back on one handed, little cushion for chest to protect against seatbelt , and if you have a drain they'll give you a little paper gift bag to hide it in! I got hubby to bring in a long handled baby shopper I then slung over my shoulder. Soon be over, and the little b***er will be gone. Good luck, girl. X

P.s. Made the mistake of telling sons I'd had a bejazzle. Apparently NOT in the same area of anatomy at all!

Lizzie

I'm from Northamptonshire.

Mishy18

I'm from Newcastle too Annie having good my surgery on Thurs and very stressed! Not sleeping much atm Michele x

Happyboobs2

Hi Flyingarcher

Are you having treatment at East Surrey or Crawley hospitals?

i had all my treatment at these hospitals, they were very good.

Flyingarcher

Surrey/west Sussex

Dawny

I'm in Suffolk so miles from any of you ! X

Melia

I'm from South shields... so in the middle of you two feelthefear and Anniej... small world xx
SandraSussex

Hastings East Sussex.

Sandra x
Anniej
Community Champion

Feelthefear, are you being treated at the Freeman? I'm from Newcastle. X

Cologrammy

I am from the UnitedStates. Colorado🙋🏻