1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find reseach of the benefits?

8 REPLIES 8
sueplus4

Re: Where to find reseach of the benefits?

I feel the same, a long wait for radiotherapy, I want to know after a long time is it really necessary
suebeehoney

Hi Ruth,
I have been up then down and down and then up. Its a roller coaster! I have been given a lot of information to read and I'm so grateful for the support here. It seems everyone's story is different and yet we do share a common bond. Today was 10/28. And they had me speak to a couple of women who actually made me feel better. Keep talking and keep getting yourself informed. I'm nearly half way through radiation and I still have questions! Best wishes.
Sue
RuthieG

I had my WLE for DCIS on the 26 January. Two weeks after I had my results and was told they had found 4mm of invasive breast cancer grade 3 so they decided to do a sentinel node biopsy. That took place on the 23 February. Two weeks later I got the all clear on that. However I was told I didn't need any drugs, just radiotherapy, which I thought was a bit strange, then I found out the cancer is triple negative and doesn't respond to drugs. I am going to see the oncologist next Thursday, 7 weeks after my last lot of surgery. I know I am lucky that the lump was very small but it's been a long wait and I just want to be able to get on with normal life again. Ruth
suebeehoney

I'm feeling better about continuing treatment. NCCN.ORG and the your all's support helped. Seems the highest risk is lymphedema but it knocks back recurrence of breast cancer to 6%, but there are no guarantees in life. Again for now I Feel Fine about it!
catchpole

Hi Chezz 666,

Yes it is annoying i feel quite glad im on Tamoxifen too already., I healed up perfectly well, and have no other health problems at all so no excuse for them n ot doing mine earlier.  Breast cancer care adviswd me to contact hospital as say it really should start soon.  I was wondering, as im im quite age aware, and know they expect all us over 60s to be old dears who can be put on back burner, something i definitely am not. if that was reason But a friend of a friend who is 37 has had same situation so it isnt that, 

I know im lucky compared with many, but i just want to get it over with and enjoy the summer, and celebrate my birthday in June, as  back in jan when diagnosed i wasnt sure if would be in a fit state to do so,  june

Chez666

Hi JUne, my op as 5/1 and I started rads on 23/3.... Delayed due to a haemotoma. I agree the process can be maddening, I saw an oncologist, An oncologist for radiotherapy and then planning was done 2 weeks before my start date. I was given lots of reassurances that the time delay was not a problem as it gave more time for recovery and that the nice guidelines were political ones !!! Not sure I totally accept the last bit though. I strated hormone therapy and zoladex a lot sooner than some of the ladies on the forum and despite the side effects, this gave me some comfort that my enemy, oestrogen was being taken out of the equation. Good luck and take care x x
catchpole

I am having rads shortly, hadno chemo, but what puzzles me is the time factor,  My op was 29th jan, it was small lump easily removed, margins clear and lymph nodes removed clear,  Its now April and i still havent started it,Im on tamaxifen, no problems. Ive got to have 20 sessions, my visit last week was a total waste of time a chat, and i signed a form, i was a bit annoyed, my friend who is self employed took a day off work to come with me.  Why the hell couldnt they do the measuring etc,.then,  Its so long after operation surely if any cells were lurking they would have done any damage, to me it seems far too long after operation.  I feel fine and ive no other health problems. Is it worth having rads after all this time, it seems pointless, Have others waited this long.?june

13gerbera

Hi Suebeehoney

I don't think there is a single source of data you could hold up as 'the evidence' as there are lots of studies by the different hospitals, universities etc over a long period and some meta-analysis of ranges of studies so I did it by an internet search.  I think I read 30 or so different research papers/results of trials and every single one of them showed a reduction in recurrence rates (but not always improved survival rates).  The rate of improvement varied by study but I guess that would be normal depending on the type/stage of the cancer being treated. The only area where there still seems to be some question marks over the usefulness of radiotherapy seems to be with low grade DCIS but I understand that it more to do with a lack of research in this area rather than a finding that it does not help.

Not helpful I know, but I think the only way you'll get the information is to do an internet search for yourself, perhaps searching for meta-analysis of impact of adjuvant radiotherapy on breast cancer.  Not sure if I'm allowed to add a link here but I'll try. The one I found most helpful was the NICE document (NICE are the standard setters for UK treatments and the document is long at 113 pages but explains what they recommend and the evidence they used to make that recommendation)

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/csgbc/evidence/improving-outcomes-in-breast-cancer-manual-update-2

Hope that helps 🙂

xx

Sharon

suebeehoney

Where to find reseach of the benefits?

I'm so not sure still if radiation is right for me. I like to tease and ask them to hold my hand during treatment! You can imagine its a resounding no! Does anyone have good research on statistics and benefits outweighing risks? Today is 5 of 28.