Whether to have an axillary clearance if it delays chemo?

Hi there, 

I have never posted on any sort of forum before but my head is reeling and I really think I need some advice. Hoping someone out there can help me. I had a lumpectomy (therapeutic mammoplasty) 4 weeks ago and sentinel lymph node biopsy. They took out 4 nodes and one was positive with a borderline macrometasis. They said it was up to me whether I had the clearance, that recent evidence suggested it might not be necessary but as the surgeon was going on holiday they gave me a date nearly 5 weeks later for the surgery and said I could cancel it if I wanted. Subsequently they gave me a date for chemo (FEC-T) which is 6 weeks after my first surgery, but this is the same date the second surgery is scheduled. If I have the surgery I have to wait another 2 weeks to have the chemo at least until my body has healed. I am finding it so hard to decide whether to have the clearance as I don’t want to delay the chemo, especially in light of my lymph node involvement which means there might be stuff peripherally to treat.

I have 2 young kids (1 & 2 years old as well) and I know if I have more surgery this means more time not being able to lift them etc, I think I’ll be even more useless to my other half if I am on chemo and having just had surgery. Anyway I’d love to hear any thoughts about this. I’m very confused and none of the oncology or surgical team will tell me what to do, they are leaving it entirely up to me which is doing my head in!

Thanks in advance 

Hi Celia

It sounds like a very difficult situation to be in. I have not heard about this myself, what evidence did they offer you? It’s very hard that they are all sitting on the fence, they are the experts after all!

I hope someone will come along who knows about this.

Mary

Hi Celia23

Welcome to the forum.

As well as the support you will receive on here from fellow members you might also find it helps to talk this over with one of our Helpline staff.  They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

What grade is your cancer? It seems strange that they don’t seem bothered and are giving you the choice. My first cancer was WLE and node clearance and started my chemo within 4 weeks of the op. You may well need help with the children during chemo anyway, as you can feel pretty rough for the 1st week in every three.  When is your starting date for chemo? If I were you I would want to get most of it over with before the weather gets bad (more bugs around then), you will have to watch your immune system with having young children. Please feel free to PM (just click on my user name to do this) if I can help at all, or you have any more questions. I had the same chemo regime as you are going to have.  If your cancer was grade 3 I would advise you to have the ANC but I suspect it isn’t if they aren’t pushing it.

Good luck and take care

K M x