Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do I complain too

7 REPLIES 7
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Who do I complain too

Hi Trigg

You could ask your bc nurse if it was the Consultant or the Registrar, and you are worried about seeing them over the next few months. If it is a Registrar then they will only be in post for six months a year and move on, obviously a Consultant stays in post. That doesn't mean you shouldn't complain at all - I think you should, but you need to find out who they are and what their 'status' is exactly.

F
cccc

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Carol

Can I just add that if you do make a complaint it is a good idea to state exactly what you are complaining about and what you want the outcome to be. I know this as I am in the process of drafting a complaint to my GP practice about a GP who misdiagnosed me for 8 months.

Do you simply want answers? Do you want to be seen by a different doctor from now on? Do you want the doctor who mistreated you to be disciplined or taken to task?

According to what I read (on my local government website) you are more likely to get the result you want if you keep your letter factual rather than being tempted to get into a slanging match.

It has taken four drafts to get the tone of my letter right. The first was just an angry rant and I don't think it would have got me anywhere! The final one is pretty good (though I say so myself) as I have thought through all their possible excuses and have counteracted them. I have set out a list of questions (eg, why was I not referred to a breast clinic when guidelines say I should have been?) as bullet points so they won't miss anything.

The key to a successful complaint letter seems to be:

State what happened and why you are unhappy with it.
Say what you want to happen.
Give a deadline by which you expect a response.
Keep it short
Stick to the facts.

As with any complain it is usually a good idea to try to sort it out informally first so I would have another go at speaking to your breast care nurse and if she cannot sort it out ask her who you should speak to next.

As one of the other girls said, you are what is important in all this and you need to have confidence in the people who are treating you.

Good luck!

Lola

Guest user
Not applicable

You can always ask to see someone else and get a second opinion. In fact, it might be a good thing to do if there is doubt about your exact situation.

Guest user
Not applicable

Your local health authority probably has a web site, and should there tell you how to complain, and who to write to/ who you can speak to. After my radiotherapy i wrote a letter just saying how i felt about the whole treatment package. i just wanted to feed back the frustrations etc., but not make an official complaint. A very nice lady rang me, and we had a long talk, and felt listened to, even if it made no big difference!

Guest user
Not applicable

Carol - each hospital should have an easily accessible complaints proceedure. Normal they state to try and resolve any complaints at the "on the ground" level first - but it would be worth checking the proceedure. If you want to do this reletively annonimously initially - it should be available from the out patients reception or similar. Who do you want to complain to? The Dr., the clinic or the hospital? You could just ring the clinic and ask the receptionist who you saw last and what were they. Ultimately you are the most important person in this and the reason for these peples "working" existence - you are perfectly entitled to complain. Good luck with what ever you chose to do

Tinkers

Guest user
Not applicable

Not sure how do I go about find out

Guest user
Not applicable

Carol - was this Oncologist a Consultant or a Registrar?

Guest user
Not applicable

Who do I complain too

Hi girls

Well I saw the Oncologist last Friday and was told I would be
a good recipient for Tamoxifen as there was a ten percent of
chance of the cancer coming back. Bearing in mind from a
previous post the same person told me I did not have cancer
as such. When I questioned her statement about the 10% chance
of return after having a mastectomy and recon she looked suitably
embarrassed and finally looked at my records.

This is my second meeting with some who obviously does not check
her facts before coming out with such stupid statements.

I am not happy about continuing to see her over the coming months
Would be grateful if someone can advise who I complain too as the
BC nurse has not been much help at my hospital either

Love and Best wishes to all

Carol