Well, I did tell my husband and he surprised me (even after 30+ years!). He was calm and actually listened to what I said, though I did not tell him that the consultant seemed convinced that the findings were consistent with malignancy, only that it was a possibility. I really want to tell my kids but after my friend lost her life so recently, I think they will struggle to see that my case is different (much earlier diagnosis, clear lymph nodes so far as could be seen). I will wait till I have the biopsy results and a treatment plan, then talk to them. Thanks, Frances.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I think I will just tell my husband there is a possibility, rather than a probability. This sounds bad, but he tends to take everything as happening TO him rather than around him, if that makes sense, and I don't want to have to cope with his melodrama! My son and daughter left home some time ago, and I think you have a very valid point that they may be upset that I didn't feel able to share this with them. I need to think this through carefully.
Hi. Just got back from the breast clinic having been referred following a routine mammogram. They found 2 "areas of concern", biopsies done, 2 weeks to wait for the results. I haven't told my husband or my two grown-up children, as I don't want to have to reassure them as well as deal with my own fears. It's a really bad time to deal with this as I lost a close friend to breast cancer 3 months ago so that will panic them. Anyone have any opinion on this? Am I being unfair in not sharing this, or sensible in waiting till i know exactly what I'm dealing with?