Why so many tests - I'm worrying so much lost 1/2 stone

Hi, I’ve been going through the mill for about 2-3 months now but I have avoided coming to this site for so long partly to ignore the C word but partly because I feel such a fraud as I actually have no diagnosis as yet. You probably know the story, found a lump left breast GP fast tracked etc. Got to breast clinic mammo both breasts, left side FNA - inconclusive, meanwhile found stuff on rt one FNA done at one site, this was clear then a core biopsy done at another site which they have said they THINK shows calcifications in the arteries rather than the breast so ok no follow up needed on rt breast, back again to re-focus on the lump I went with (left), second FNA done still inconclusive, so core biopsy done wednesday 17th dec results Christmas eve!! Why are they so uncertain?? Help

Hi!

The younger you are the more difficult it is to diagnose - younger women have very dense breast tissue. I know it seems like a lot of tests, especially as they have looked at both breasts, but in the end the core biopsy is the thing that often does show up if there really is something wrong there. It will be better in the end that they have been so thorough because if they sent you away and a year down the line they did find something it would be much worse then and more advanced than if they find it now. I know the waiting is SO awful, but once you know what if anything you are dealing with it will get much easier to cope. My very best wishes to you.

V.

Hi. I’m in a similar situation. I’ve had the lump removed but waiting for results of biopsy. They are highly suspicious of bc but can’t prove it because there is too much inflammation. I feel like I am in limbo. Having to rest after the op yesterday doesn’t help as I’d rather be busy. I think what we have to focus on is that hopefully if there is any bc then it is early. When I read what some people are going through I feel pretty pathetic. Do you have contact with a breast care nurse? One was supposed to phone me last week but I’ve heard nothing.
Take care. Let us know the results,
Love Julie

I am 50 - i cannot give u advice/info - but my breat tissue was classed as dense last year during dignosis things.

I hope it will be ok for u

J

Thank you all I am 43 next week and will be going on Wednesday I am beside myself but speaking to you all helps me realise that whatever the outcome we are all togehther. Julie - thank you, I feel quite pathetic also, all the very best with your results too. I agree too with redders I know they’re being thorough, and to rjenr2 thanks for your thoughts. I have always wanted to be thinner but not by these means. To all of you out there with a diagnosis I wish you all the very very best and thanks for such a great support network
Di x

Hi daftcow

This must be a very worrying time for you, you’ll get loads of support here from people who know exactly what you are going through. You might also find it helpful to read breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=70 which explains about changes in the breast and breast awareness.
If you are feeling upset or panicky and want to talk to someone who understands what you are going through then do give our helpline a call. Everyone working on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer, or is a breast care nurse, and has an excellent knowledge of breast cancer issues. They are on 0808 800 6000 and are open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm and Saturday, 9am - 2pm

I hope this helps.

Kind regards Sam (BCC Facilitator)

I found the uncertainty very difficult and also felt a total fraud with great admiration for people going treatment. Then when I was diagnosed after six months I felt better prepared as I remembered a woman who was shocked and couldn’t believe it was really her. I felt exactly the same, But I defy anyone with any sort of a lump not to be worried it could be cancer whatever it turns out to be so in my book any lump has to be considered to be cancerous until proved absolutely conclusively not to be. In the case of anyone over 40 I think all women should have a solid lump removed, and anyone with a family history of breast cancer should have all lumps removed.

Once I was in treatment at least I knew I was getting the best the medical profession could offer but until diagnosis you are in limbo

Mole