Will I need chemo?

A few of you will know my story by now so bare with me or by past this post.
So far:
WLE SNB
Results: DCIS high grade, Invasive tumour grade 2, 22mm and another 6mm statelite lymph node positive and vascular inasion.
Clear margins not achived so back in tomorrow (wed 10th July) for anotehr WLE. (Last chance saloon- if there is a next time I will ask for an mx.)

I know grade 3 usually means chemo but not sure about lymph node involvelent and vascular invasion,
Anyway currently I spend the days speculating will I won’t I? And it is quite clearly making me nuts (all house work done!!)
I just wondered if anyone else has been in an identical (really we are all different) or similar (that’s more realistic) situation.

All replies welcome,

Hi samjs
You’re correct about the grade 3 needing chemo. But I’m not sure about the lymph node involvement. I had three removed, one of which had cancer in it. Also had vascular invasion. Depending on how many lymph nodes were involved, they MIGHT suggest ANC. But radiotherapy is the preferred method of dealing with nodes I think. Chemo should get rid of the vascular invasion. My tumour was ductal invasive grade 3, tumour was 3cm.
As far as WLE is concerned, I think they only get three goes at it and then will suggest MX anyway. So if they fail to get wide margins tomorrow, you may well have no choice in the matter!! :frowning:
Good luck for tomorrow, and whatever treatment will follow. At least you know your house is really clean although I suspect it always is anyway.
Sending big hugs.
Poemsgalore. xx

i am grade 2 and was told that I would def need chemo if it was in the lympth nodes, it was and I am now halfway through, good luck tomorrow xx

Hi Sam,
I don’t know how well my situation compares with yours, or how my pathology differs. But I can tell you about me in the hope that it will help you while you are waiting to hear from your onc.

I had IDC with a bit of DCIS; tumour was 1.5cm (i.e. “T1”) when they did my WLE. I had a micromet in one of four nodes sampled at SNB (which they did with my WLE so only one op). The pathology report also showed LVI; my margins were apparently clear at 3mm (the deep) and 1mm (the anterior) - I didn’t think what was enough to say they were clear, but I’m no expert! I was grade 3, and 33 years old at dx last August. I was stage 1 but “N1” owing to the micromet which was 0.6mm. No distant mets found prior to my WLE and (so far!) no sign of anything new. I am ER+ 8/8 and had radiotherapy in spring, now on tamoxifen.
When I first met him, my onc told me that chemo was needee as my cancer was “on the move”, i.e. because of the micromet rather than LVI as far as I understand it. He said my 10-yr survival stats were 5-10% higher with chemo than without.
However, I only did one cycle of chemo before I told him mentally/emotionally I couldn’t cope with more. He then said “we’ll, you did one” and he and my BCN said surgery was curative and rads and tamoxifen were more important than chemo in regards a recurrence and keeping any stray cells under control.
So I think they saw chemo as an extra insurance policy owing to my age - they said they wanted to gove me the best chance of another 30 years of life (I didn’t ask why only 63 years in total was ok!). I may have taken a risk by not completing chemo, but as I am still “chemo naive” it’s still an option should I have a recurrence or new primary. Plus I have tamoxifen to rely on.
If I was triple negative I think my onc would have been more insistent over chemo (I am not sure if you are ER/PR/HER+ or some/none). I don’t know how things would have different if I was T2 (2-5cm tumour), but I suspect a 6mm node met. is the more important indicator for chemo.
Good luck in whichever path you and your treatment take.
Lisa xx

Hi Samjs, in reply to you my situation is that I had IDC, 3.7 cm, grade 1, stage 2 plus DCIS high grade. I had WLE and SNB on 17th June. The results showed DCIS is still in there, but lymph node is clear. So I am waiting for mastectomy soon, probably with immediate reconstruction to both breasts, with silicone. They have told me that I no longer need radiotherapy and hopefully won’t need chemo, but won’t know for sure until after the op. all of this started with a screening mammogram in May. I’m 48 and was part of an early screening programme. Thank goodness I don’t live one mile down the road, over the county border .

best wishes to you, keep strong
Zuleika x

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have to say I am not worried about chemo and if it gives me 1% more chance I will take it. Any way must flew I have a theatre waiting for me…oh yes and hopefully the same handsome anaesthetist I had last time. It make sit a little more bareable!!

Laters ladies

Sam xx

Hi Sam, hope all goes ok today and you get to escape and not have to stay the night xx

Well ladies, I was first in and first out. Went down to theatre at 9am and was home by 12.45. Unfortunately i didn’t have the handsome anaesthetist, had a lady this time but as I am out so quick I am happy. Feel fine in myself just have a very sore boob!!! Consultant wouldn’t have a conversation about mx if this doesn’t work… he is very cautious about discussing things we might not need to.
Onwards and upwards ladies, gravity allowing!!!
Sam xx

Hi Sam, well done being first on list, must be nice to be back home. Gives you a little bit of recoup time before you go away Friday. Hope your not too uncomfortable, I’m debating if I really need to go back in on Monday as surgeon happy radiotherapy would sort, my scar so sore the thought of being recut there puts me off. I’m wondering if he’d go in in another place but he’s ultra fussy and is sort of plastic surgeon too so I know he won’t do this he likes results to look good. But I bet I go don’t want sons to think I’m not giving it everything.
Well get spoilt today, feet up, relax. I hope I’m in and out as fast, I’ve been longer than that doing food shopping!! Which I hate by the way xx

Well done Sam, glad you are home safe and sound! Rest and recover well,
Lisa xx

Hi Lisa, i too am considering giving up after 1 cycle of chemo due to horrendous side effects, my 2nd cycle is due this wed (14th), i am seeing my consultant on tues to discuss my statistics of the beneftits of carrying on. I am 42, 12mm lump which was removed 6th june with clear margins, 3 lymph nodes removed also clear, also i am her2 positive, where you her2 positive too???

julie xxx