Will it come back?????

I was diagnosed TN in Feb '13, small grade 3 in left breast. WLE with clear margins and no node involvement followed by EC x 6 and rads x15. Then discovered I’m BRCA1 so had full hysterectomy and bi mx in Feb '15. All well. But what happens now? I see oncologist annually, no scans or anything else. Can I assume because I’ve done everything I possible can (in terms of surgery) I’m safe?? I have a vague recollection of my BCN telling me before the mx that it would only prevent the cancer recurring in the breasts. But if I had clear margins and clear nodes can it spread??? Anyone out there in a similar situation??

Hi there I had rat mastectomy no node involvement 6 to nods chemo in sept 14 have had scans on lt breast mainly cysts I am now seen yearly I was told they never say cured X

I was diagnosed tnbc in August had bilateral mastectomy negative for BRCA 1 & 2 AC-T  chemo 4 of AC and 4 of T. My last chemo was on january 8th. I had been looking forward to that day since the first day of chemo but instead Ifelt overwhelmed with doubt fear and nervous. I was not sure if I wanted to stop chemo becuase it felt like a security blanket.  I was even for uncertain about my future since they dont want to do any type of scans to check if everything is gone or that it’s not anywhere else… is anyone on here past the five year mark with TNBC?

Hi Orchard, Mine was quite similar to your’s - TN March 2013, SNB 2 noded -ve, FEC-T x 6, WLE 2 (shrunk) tumours grade 2 & 3, rads x 15, BRCA2+ve November 13, BSO (ovaries/tubes) Feb 14, BMX Nov 14.

Annual ‘prod’ (No breast tissue to speak of so no mammos). You would get an ultrasound if you detect anything different - local pain, lump, swelling in breast/armpits/collar bone areas.

BMX will protect you against new primary tumours. It will make no difference to the risk of recurrence of the original tumours. I was told the most common site for recurrence is near the original tumour. Clear nodes is very good, but its not 100% guarenteed it didnt spread - but nothing is 100% certain in BC. We have to trust the chemo did its job in wiping out any micro cells, because there are no meds for TN like tamoxifen or herceptin. 

Standard follow up is 10 years for TN, because after that our risk goes back down to general population risk- as far as I know that applies to BRCA related BC too.

There is evidence that some lifestyle factors may affect your risk of recurrence. Too much body fat, because fat contains oestrogen (I dont know if this only applies to ER+ BC though…), physical excercise+++ is good, stress control ( prolonged stress affects us physically as well as mentally). Not easy given the physical and mental battering we’ve been through… they take a bit of working on, but well worth it physically and mentally!

I’m not an expert but I think this is all accurate. I wanted to know everything possible about mine so I’ve done a lot of homework  xxx

Hope u don’t mind me asking but what is BMX? X

It’s a bike …no it’s a bi-lateral mastectomy !!