Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Wire localisation, isotope & blue dye

26 REPLIES 26
Naza

Re: Wire localisation, isotope & blue dye

Good morning Paulie
Im 10 days after my wle & snb and doing really well just a little bit bruised. What bothers me now is the coming result day (Wed 30.08). Always the waiting is the worst. Just want to say well done to your son for passing GCSE. You must be really proud mummy. X
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Paulie,
So glad to hear your wife's doing well & congratulations on your son's gcse's, That's a lovely distraction for you all.
2 weeks is standard, I'm afraid, it goes to the lab & has to be reported, so that is usually just how it is.
Anyway, thank goodness its out now, so it helps to do some nice things & keep yourselves distracted over the next 2 weeks.
ann x
Paulie652010

Hi jencat she doing really well thanks very tired and sore but better than I expected. Just the wait now for results πŸ˜’ god knows why it takes 2 weeks. She got some lovely flowers from work which made her smile and the biggest smile was our son passing all his GCSEs 😁 so yes all in all she's a lot happier.
Keep strong everyone xx
Jencat

How is your wife doing Paulie? x

Jill1998
Community Champion

She is lucky to have a partner who cares so much .And to have a sister who is a nurse !!!!
Paulie652010

Yes I will jill1998 at the moment her sister is here who is a nurse πŸ™‚ so at least she's in good hands while I am at work. But still worry, think that's my job atm 😊
Stay strong xx
Jill1998
Community Champion

Good that she is home and ok Paulie any worries about anything post op ring up and check it out with BC nurse or the ward she was on.
Paulie652010

Thanks Chaffinch she's just got home after her lumpectamy and she's tired and worn out the long road starts now she didn't sleep well last night and I was up and down stairs for her water and painkillers but she eventually got some sleep. Bit more perky this morning but bit worried about the dressing it's been bleeding a bit but hopefully won't get infected. Will be ringing breast care nurse this morning for bit of advice.
Stay strong xx love to everyone
Chaffinch17

My OH is very emotional and I have been so impressed with how he has stepped up. A lot of it is just being there for her, emotional support is the small things, a squeezed hand, a loveing smile at a difficult moment and a random kiss in passing. I have found it hard stepping back on the housework etc, just help out when asked and offer but don't force it if she seems willing and able to do something. I have found that there is nothing like being told that you can't do something to give you an intense desire to do it! Maybe I am just bloody minded!

i know that what I crave most is normality so if you regularly do something like say a pub quiz etc, try to do it if you both feel up to it. Finding activities and places where you can act normally and have a laugh really helps. When my dad had Oesophageal cancer earlier this year what he said he wanted more than anything was not to talk about cancer all the time.

There will be times when the pressure will get to both of you, when it does just take a step back and remember that this time will pass and although you will both be changed people in some ways afterwards your core values will still be there. Good luck with everything.

Paulie652010

Thanks jencat just finding it difficult at the moment I no I'll be strong for her but at mo it seems alot if info that I can't get my head around suppose after the op and we get results and a treatment plan things will be more in focus.
Keep strong xx
Jencat

Hi Paulie, your wife is very lucky having you supporting her. I know you think you're not doing anything, but just being there for her will mean a lot.

Hope everything goes well tomorrow and thinking of you both xx

Paulie652010

Hi my wife just had isotope injection tonight ( bout 4ish) she was ok with it but lot of pain so been given her paracetamol as and wen, big day tomorrow she has op and blue die. It's horrible to see the person you love with all your heart in pain and there's nothing I can do other than be there and cuddle her.
Keep strong everyone xx
Jencat

Hi Poppy, I didn't have the wire, so I can't tell you about that I'm afraid, but I had the injection for SNB. The injection felt like a little sting, but it doesn't last long at all.You don't know anything about the blue dye as that is put in during the op.

I can understand you thinking the cancer is spreading, a lot of us feel like that too, but I think it's only natural. xx

ann-m
Community Champion

Poppy, it's fine. As ever, the mind goes into overdrive, but it really is quite straightforward & not painful.
The staff will look after you. Those who did mine were lovely.
ann x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Poppywheel

Honestly you will be fine.  I am absolutely terrified of needles and I did not feel a thing when they did the wire insertion and it only took minutes.  Regarding the blue dye mine was inserted whilst I was asleep as part of the op.  The day before I had to go and have a clear fluid injected just above the nipple but again it just felt like a small scratch and was over in seconds xx

Poppywheel1

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your replies.

I'm still feeling apprehensive about the wire localisation and dye/isotope injections but I think I just need to be brave!

It's just that not knowing what the procedure involves that makes me scared, especially as I'll be awake for both the wire localisation and isotope & dye injections!

Two weeks to go!

My boob has been feeling really achey the last couple of days. I have it in my head that it's because the cancer is spreading, but I think that's just me being over imaginative!

I have a grade 3 IDC.

Thank you everyone, and good luck with your journeys.
ann-m
Community Champion

I remember getting up to go to the loo on the night of the op, looked in the mirror & saw a lovely smurf look, followed by bright blue wee, green poo followed...so yay! Still got a very slight blue tinge on my nipple though.

ann x

Jencat

No Optimissy, I wasn't warned about the poo either and had a bit of a shock when I saw myself in the mirror on the evening of the op! I've normally got a lot of colour in my cheeks and there was nothing! My daughter said that she was shocked when she saw me! Thankfully I looked more like myself by the next morning! xx

anitajane

You can definitely include me in this chain Optimissy, I have been reassured that I have all of this to look forward to as well - I would be gutted if I missed out!!
Naza

Yes yes all inclusive for me: skin, tears, wee and poo πŸ˜‰
Optimissy64

Sorry, didn't mean Anita, meant Poppywheel.......brain getting a bit old.......

Optimissy64

Hi Naza

really glad all is well with you. x (Suppose we ought to warn Anita about the blue pee and green poo...........they warned me to expect the blue wee and corpse-like pallor after the dye, but not a word about the poo - unless that was just me.) Smiley Happy 

Naza

Hi
I had my wle and slnb last Wed. I had my wire inserted 8am followed by isotope injection. It didnt hurt at all but Im not needle sensitive. I went to the theater at 11am, was back to the main suit 12.45am. No painkillers for me. The pain is really manageble. Now 5 days after Im almost back to normal. Ive got very strange like pins and needles feeling to my arm and breast but no pain. The breast is still a bit swallen and blue but other than that I must say the surgon did a good job. Good luck and all the best.

When I woke up after surgery the first word I heard was -- OMG you are so blue like a smurf πŸ˜‰
Chaffinch17

I had the isotope done on the morning of my operation very quick just like any injection really, they then put a yellow wristband on me to show that I was radioactive but I didn't need to stay away from people or anything.

the blue dye makes you look very ill after your op but it is a visual grey blue tinge to the skin and you don't feel as bad as you look. The dye then leaves your body within 24-48 hours. My wee was proper blue loo blue and I was warned that if I cried my tears might be blue, but I didn't cry so didn't get to find out!

I was very tired and fragile for about 48 hours after the op which I think was down to the anaesthetic as much as anything. The pain was manageable with paracetamol and ibuprofen and one week on the pain from the SNB is worse than the lumpectomy site. I think that they have to move nerves out of the way to get to them, somit feels like I have chafed under my arm but I think it isn't the nerve pain, perfectly manageable though. I had my op on Friday 11th August and I had last week off work, I took the morning's slowly and spent a fair amount of time on this forum, then by Tuesday I was washing windows and by Wednesday I could hang the washing out. I haven't done anything heavy and fortunately mine is on the left side and I am right handed so it hasn't restricted me too much. I had an afternoon nap on the first two days and since then I have just been going to bed early and getting up slowly.

good luck with your treatment 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Poppywheel -welcome to the forum .I found that they don't really explain these procedures to you in advance do they so you don't know what to expect and there so much to take in anyway .I had radioactive injection day before - just a sharp pin prick in boob then a scan an hour later to make sure it had worked.It was very straightforward .I had guide wire put in on the morning of op -was a bit like having core biopsy -wire inserted whilst boob in mammogram machine they give you local anaesthetic ,it is uncomfortable but doesn't take too long .I have heard of people having wire put in several days before and it not causing too much of a problem - it is only a very small section left exposed .Good luck -let us know how you get on .Jill.
Optimissy64

Hi Poppywheel1

There should be some specific info on the procedure on the main site, but for personal experience here goes.

I had the wire localisation on the morning of the op rather than the day before, but like you I was a bit concerned that it would move. It doesn't - they put a sticky dressing or something over it so it stays where they put it. I had my wire put in using the mammogram machine, so they can see exactly where to put it. While not painful as such, I am a real wuss about mammos anyway so before each procedure I ever had where I was going to have my boob clamped in (including routine 3 yearly mammos before)  I took 2 paracetamol about 1 and a half hours beforehand, and it is surprisingly effective. NOTHING with aspirin in though as that would thin the blood.I also had the isotope radioactive stuff put in on the day of the op - no pain there - just a tiny scratch like having a flu jab. I think the blue dye is what they put in during the op while you are under, so they can see the sentinel node or nodes that it drains to so they know which one(s) to take out. I too was confused when I had my procedures, as i thought the blue dye was the same as the isotope but it isn't.There is such a lot of new information to take in, it is like learning a foreign language isn't it? I'm 8 months on from my WLE and SNB and can hardly remember it all, but recovery was quick and I've had 2 foreign holidays since then after rads ended, so be assured, the unknown will soon be knwn, and not half as scary as we think it will be in advance! I thought I'd be reclining for days in front of the DVDs after my op, looking weak and feeble: I wasn't! Up and about and apart from not overusing the arm on the op side, feeling pretty good. All the very best of luck with it all.xxxxx

Poppywheel1

Wire localisation, isotope & blue dye

Hello everyone.

Thank you all so much for your help.

I am due to have a wire localisation in the morning of the day before my wle & slnb +\- anc on 05 September.

I'm not sure what to expect from the procedure. Does anyone have any experience that they are willing to share? Is it painful? How did you manage with a wire for a whole day before your op? Is the wire at risk of moving?

I have all these questions & am a bit scared of the unknown.

I'm also having isotope & blue dye the day before my op (in the afternoon). I'm a bit scared and unsure what to expect with this too. Is this painful?

Thanks very much everyone & good luck.