Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wobbling

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Wobbling

Hi Sharon

I'm 49 and peri menopausal too having had hot flushes on and off for about 7 years. When they suggested zoladex it was all a bit of a blurr. Onc said it had some of the benefits of chemo they use to give 10 yrs ago as I was borderline for chemo perhaps it has something to do with this too. Will find out more when speak to onc again. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Dana

Can I ask you how old you are. I am also 8/8 oestrogen positive and I asked my oncologist about zolodex injections to stop my ovaries and he said it wasn't necessary. Which is a shame as I have endometriosis and it would have helped to stop the monthly pain I get with that. However his reluctance may be due to my age as I am 50 and may be perimenopausal already.

Sharon

Highlighted

Hi Dana

I though surgery was the bit I needed to worry about, but I have actually found worrying about rads and tamoxifen worse.  It is so easy to get down in the dumps over this. I went back to work 10 days after surgery and although I didn't feel much like it at the time I think it did me the world of good because it keeps my head full of other things most of the day.  I have also planned some Christmas shows and things to look forward to in December to keep me busy and make me need to sort out clothes to wear, etc.  I think I would go round the bend if I was stuck at home.  I have not dared ask for my path report yet though so I am probably still in denial! Keep your chin up.  Just going to hospital and seeing people every day will probably make you start to feel better next week. Sending hugs to you. X

Highlighted

Sharon, there are some people starting Tamoxifen asking questions under Hormone Therapy on the thread 'Best time of day to take tamoxifen?'.  Everyone seems to react a bit differently.  Onc advised me to start Tam sooner rather than later so they can try to deal with any problems while I am going in every day for rads.  On day 10 and sore boobs and pmt, but no hot flushes.

Highlighted

Countrybumpkin know what you mean about alcohol and hot flushes just had a mojito and sweating like anything now. I too have hot flushes so hoping tamoxifen effects won't increase this too much or I shall self combust. Xx
Highlighted

Hi Sharon and Mary

Thanks for your replies its good to know I'm not alone in this, you'd think that we'd been through so much that this would be the easy part. Haven't been given px for tamoxifen yet to start after rads plus zoladex inj to turn ovaries off as cancer 8/8 oestrogen +ve and onc said tamoxifen can increase oestrogen levels. Not looking forward to having those monthly either know how big that needle is lol. Chin up girls xx
Highlighted

Hello Sharon - I started on tamoxifen on the same day I had my first radiotherapy session, and so far no great problems with either treatment (and am having the last of my 15 sessions tomorrow).

Like the others ladies on this thread, the thought of radiotherapy really scared me, so much so that I was practically crying at the measuring session. But everything has gone well, the radiographers have been brilliant, so kind and professional, and especially as there are both male and female staff looking after me. I have had minimal skin problems, it's slightly pink in colour and a bit more sensitive, but I can still wear an ordinary bra without discomfort. I am a bit tired, but am putting most of that down to the travelling (70 mile round trip) and to idleness rather than fatigue!!!

I was having hot flushes before I started on tamoxifen, and these don't seem to be any more of a problem than before. Alcohol seems to make it worse for some reason, so I've cut back a lot on the booze which should please my oncologist! I had headaches for the first couple of weeks of tamoxifen but that seems to have stopped now.

Good luck to those of you about to start your radiotherapy, and hope things go well for you all!!
Highlighted

Hi Dana

I know what you mean about a wobble. I went for my radiotherapy planning session on Tuesday and received the appointments today. I start on 11 Dec and am having radiotherapy to both breasts as I had invasive cancer in the left and dcis in the right. I was hoping to get the 15 treatments and 3 boosts out of the way before christmas but it is not to be as my last appointment is sheduled for 8 Jan. Like you I am apprehensive about it all particularly as I was diagnosed in April but had to have 4 operations and an MRI before getting to this point.

I have also picked up my tamoxifen prescription which I haven't had the courage to take yet but plan to on Monday. Is anyone else taking tamoxifen at the same time as having radiotherapy? I will also be starting to take a statin within the next week or so due to very high cholesterol. Feel like I have gone from a reasonable fit and active and well person to an old lady on lots of long term medication overnight.

Lets hope that we have very few if any side effects from treatment although I am currently off work and not planning to go back until after radiotherapy has finished.

Sharon

Highlighted

Hi Dana

I know the feeling. I was dreading the rads, more than the surgery for some reason. I just found it hard to get my head round as there is no obvious immediate benefit, it's all 'just in case'. The process is strange too, the measuring and so on. I hated the first 2 sessions but gradually got used to it and just finished 15 sessions last week.

You are allowed a wobble goodness me! and if you don't feel like doing things and being organised then don't. You have to take it a day at the time at the moment, you have plenty of time later to get back to normal. 

Take care.

Mary

Highlighted

Wobbling

Am starting radiotherapy next Wednesday 27th and I have to say I'm feeling more tearful and lacking in confidence than I did during surgery. Been off work since diagnosis and occ health wants me off until new year. I have so much that needs doing in home and feel like im wasting the opportunity but lack motivation to get on. No kids to keep me amused but have tried to go out and see people often which helps. Had a copy of path report which showed that not only did I have IDC but dcis which I didn't know. Can't get away from fearing the worst as tumour close to chest wall hence 18 days rads. Aunt died of bc and uncle with secondaries. Just feeling scared and vulnerable. Xx D