cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work and moving on

5 REPLIES 5
emz680

Re: Work and moving on

So I went to the interview lasted 10 mins asked if I could so the job gave them the examples etc then when said why do you want to do part time hours I said I had a medical issue but it's sorted now and I'm flexible when you need me the most. Both had bit of poker faces so will see. Thanks for all your support guys means a lot x
emz680

Thanks Ann-m Yes I thought I didn't have to say anything just yet. My fretting about it all was an answer to the question why do you want to leave your job/want this job. I think I'm just gonna say I am looking for flexible hòurs and I have a lot to bring to your company. Go from there.
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi emz,

You are under no obligation to discuss your diagnosis, it's confidential to you, so handle it as you see fit. 

It might be an an idea to look at employment advice, others have reported Macmillan are good with this.

ann x

emz680

Thanks for your advice Leanne. That's an idea. I'll think about it. I just worry too much 

leanne

Can you just say you are seeking a better work/life balance and leave it vague?  There are lots of reasons to want to change to part-time work (I did so to study for example).  Thinking about it, they may not really be allowed to ask in case it is construed as trying to find out if you have childcare commitments and therefore could constitute sex discrimination.

Good luck in your interview!

emz680

Work and moving on

Hi everyone,

If anyone can advise me please do!

I'm 36 years old and diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2015. Thankfully I'm in remission now after radiotherapy chemotherapy and a lumpectomy.
Going back to work on a phased return has not worked for me as after a four week period I went off sick again with breathlessness and bad fatigue. Inhalers are helping sort the breathlessness and I'm trying my best with the fatigue.
Work are coming up with all these meetings to try get me back to work, however I've moved home so it's not an option to go back which I have told them I've asked them for a transfer but it doesn't seem likely as they said I would need to look for a new job within the company. I don't get any money from them at all for last year to present day and claiming benefits to just get by. I have applied for new job on a part time basis closer to home and have an interview soon for one of them but a bit worried as when the interviewwe asks me why do you want to leave your full time job to do part time hours? I am stuck what to say. Do I tell them i was I'll with cancer for almost 21 monthsveith a phased return that didn't work and with work not having any options left for me forced to look for a new job? Please help as I'm going crazy what to say.