330578posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Work

Im truly terrified that you haven't had treatment despite being diagnosed in January - please get back to the hospital and book in for the operations/treatment that they are recommending. You are and will continue to be covered by law that will prevent your employer forcing you to resign because you are ill.

You need to contact Acas immediately they are open until about 8pmi think.
Get all this noted and they will give you the number of the equality act team! Your employer is doing nothing short of discriminating against you!
I worked in hr for a time and know some basics but upto date on the new legislation so I'd get Acas involved they will give you advise on what to do and will act as arbitrators should you need,macmillians also have a legal services I belieb and some hospitals do too as they see this alot
I hope you take it further - prehistoric dinosaur of a man! Xx

Dear god, im horrified this kind iof thing is still happening in this day and age.  I before retirement worked for a blue chip company they had a occupational health service,all large companies do, anyone with any lon g term illn ess were under them, when i had my hysterecomy i was still at work and they arranged my back to work scheme, eg going back part time ar first, they did it for all, its just part of the situation.  But of course we had a trades union, do you, if so they should be dealing.

You had your diagnoisis bout the same time as me,ive had my lumpdectomy, recovery, rads and been on tamoxifen for 3 months.  and feel fine, you should be same, there should not be this kind of delay in cancer treatment. Talk to Brest cancer care team, you must not delay your treatment any longer my dear,  you need it now and i mean now  June

I am dreadfully upset by your experience Dorsoduro.......I cannot image what kind of hold this company has over to you to make you feel that you should put your health second to any kind of business.  Seriously you need support of professional organisations/bodies to enable you to deal with all the dross in your life, landlady included, I dont think she is allowed unplanned access to your home.  I have been an employer for many many years and cannot imagine what on earth anyone is thinking about in expecting you to delay treatment for anything that is making you ill let alone anything life threatening.....tell us where this is an we can all turn up and punch him on the nose..xxx

Whaaat?!!!!!!!!!  I practically have steam coming out of my ears!  Unbelievable how you are being treated!  OOh I feel like punching 'them' on the nose on your behalf!  You have my deepest sympathy - going through cancer treatment is tough enough without all this. You are not obliged to tell people about your diagnosis if you don't want to and nobody has the right to dictate what treatment you can or cannot have.  Tell them to mind their own damn business - (if only I could tell them for you.) You could also say that you are thinking of consulting a solicitor about bullying, harassment and wrongful dismissal - that might make this 'HR' think twice.  Now I have calmed down (a bit) I would like to reiterate what Dizzydee says because it is very sensible advice.  Write down everything that happens (dates, times, exactly what was said and by whom and get witnesses to this as well if you can).  Dont let the *"!*%@~}{******'s grind you down - the ladies on here are all behind you 'fighting your corner'. PS For your own sake keep up on the healthily eating. 'They' are not important - you are.

Hi Dorsoduro

I am sorry to read what a terrible time you are having with your employer.  As Dizzy Dee has mentioned do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 600.  You might find it helpful to talk through your situation with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Community Champion

Hi Dorsoduro,
I am truly shocked by your employers attitudes and actions towards you. You need a good lawyer and record everything any meeting etc or take someone in with you from outside your work. This is the worst type of harrasment it is truly shocking how they are treating you. I would also ring the helpline for advice. No woman like us should have to put up with that. Shame on them! Sending you a hug xxxx

Similar situation here.

I told HR of my diagnosis on the 4th January. I was supposed to start treatment 10 days later. I had had to fight the surgeon as she wanted to operate on the 4th January, the very day the office reopened after the Xmas break - I couldn't very well have the hospital call them to explain I wouldn't be showing up as I was going to have treatment for a minimum of 3 months! On the 4th, HR told me I would have to give him '3 months' notice' before I could start treatment (he assumed I would resign). The next day, he told me I would have to wait until one of my colleagues came back from maternity leave in June 2016!!! Anyway, I haven't had treatment, and carried on working until 10-11pm several times a week.

In June, we moved to new offices which has added 2 to 2hours and a half to my commute (by bus...). Unlike my colleagues (2 of them have already gotten themselves jobs elsewhere), I wasn't told about the move, so didn't have the time to take driving lessons. Now I am spending around 5 hours in public transport each day so will only be able to take driving lessons at the weekend. HR fully expected me to resign because of the increased length and cost of the commute, and you should see his face when he walks in every morning and sees me at my desk.

Have been summoned to several formal meetings with HR since May. He keeps insisting I have to leave because my colleagues do not ike me, I have to tell them about the diagnosis as it will improve my relationship with them and they will try to help me (a real joke - one of the reasons I have been avoiding to take any time off, even before diagnosis, so that I would end up with 10 days of leaves left in December, is all the backstabbing in the office). And of course: I don't have cancer, it it my imagination, they must have made a mistake, I don't need treatment; or: if I do have cancer, the only treatment he will allow me to have is a double mastectomy (he has a problem with women, and my colleagues have repeatedly been wondering whether I have implants or not, as I am very busty) and an ovarectomy, nothing else, and I must go to the small hospital and have the treatment at the weekend (on Friday he even told me I should be able to walk - across fields, climbing over fences - from the hospital to work).

I was so upset after the first meeting that my GP signed me off for 3 weeks. HR told me I will get benefits when I resign, including accommodation (I am renting and my landlady found out I had cancer by snooping around in the flat when I was at work and is going to give me notice). I saw several GPs and several staff at CAB and they are all adamant I must NOT resign. I am exhausted.

I am doing everything I can to please HR: I am coming into the office before 9am, I have stopped eating healthy meals (which antagonised my colleagues), and I have stopped going to the gym (no longer possible because of the commute). I am not going to have a double mastectomy just to please him and I am probably a minimum of a stage 2 so I will need some systemic treatment.

And guess what: they have a 'Wear it Pink' day every year...

To all of you who find yourselves looking at this strand...

My employer treated me appallingly when I returned despite vast recognised quality previous input.

Following a truely dreadful review meeting I embarked on a mission to fight back since I felt I had no option. Yes, knackering and at times more upsetting/frustrating than cancer since bad treatment by an employer post cancer is avoidable and unnecessary.

Check your employers policies, if they are not adherering to theory own policies it's a weak point.

Also check out disability and discrimination acts. For anyone who is up to it the folowing doc (available online) is quite helpful if not rather lengthy:

Equality Act 2010, Code of Practice, Employment Statutory Code of Practice

While most unions won't consider representation if you join them after issues started, I found that the Union I joined was so interested in the company I work for and so concerned about my case that they agreed to repressent me as a special case. So worth asking. Even though my (now extensive) tagged files and policy review was carried out by myself it just felt better having someone there with me.

For anyone who is interested I did a few posts when the poor treatment by work started...under OH and return to work (in this strand) earlier this year.

For anyone who feels they can muster just about enough energy to fight, even if it's just via firm emails sighting failures in process etc do try to do it. I appreciate we are all individuals and for some it may come at a stage in recovery where you are beyond fighting...but even if it's short concise emails to track/record it. Also keep a calendar and diary of all key conversations/events - much easier as you go along just in case you need it later. If you need empowering and to get a smile listen to "these boots are made for walking" certainly makes you feel better about the battle....not that we should have to.... 

xxx Seabreeze    

Community Champion

I am shocked and appalled at how some of you ladies have been treated. If i were you i would take it to the media. I'm sure that this would be a very newsworthy story. We have all been through so much. This kind of behaviour from employers is harassment and discrimination as far as i can see. Its disgraceful. Xx

My thoughts exactly and hate to be treated like an idiot, I don't blame you and you don't have anything to lose. Keep us imformed on how you get on, I'm watching my company from now on and have lost all respect since this happened. Take care and good luck. snapper x

I'm gonna fight mine all the way, I'm gonna have to go through job centre and end up with one of those stupid atos appointments! Already been advised that- glad you got sorted out, although they shouldn't have been testing you - think it's disgusting - but I bet as well they will have done some checking and realised that thou are covered by the equality act - they'll play it safe to avoid any problems x

I think it is disgusting what these companies are doing and should be ashamed, anyway not sure what has happened at work but a totally different attitude today and it appears now my job isn't finished. There is new work coming in and they reckon they just wanted to know if I was still interested in my role and capable, I could not be beleive the change of in them and think they were testing the water, the stress I went through this weekend was unbelievable. I've told them to concentrate on there role and let me worry about how well I feel, which at the moment I feel better than before I was diagnosed, not that I felt ill before.

Wishing you all the best with everything and good luck. Snapper xx

Community Champion

Yep. Snapper it's happened to me too I. March. Was DX and MX in September. Chemo started Oct to April. I worked reduced hours from home since October. Now trying to get march wages, notice pay, holiday and redundancy. I haven't got the energy to go to tribunal.

I have given them a call and they was really helpful, going in tomorrow to let LM know that I'm still going to do my job and take it from there. Will definately ask for a meeting with HR and start to get minutes from now, I'll let you all know how it goes. Have a good week everyone XX

Sorry typo - my phone changed the spelling should have said acas x

Should have guessed I wasn't the only one it happened to, sorry to ask but who is Ava's.

I sometimes look back at the time I had given to this employer ie Evenings until 7 O'clock weekends 8 - 1.00, obvioulsy they show how much it was appreciated by the treatment you are given on return from this dreadful decease. Thanks Guys X

Please seek further advice. Ask for everything to be put in writing, what rationale used etc. You don't need this after BC, look after you and ensure all meetings from now on are minuted. It might be worth a gentle reminder to them that you are covered by the Equality Act from the day of diagnosis Good Luck x

Yep, that happened to me, had been back at work a couple of months when they told me I no longer had a role as they were off shoring mine, seems they find ways to do without you whilst off sick and then decide they don't need you back. I went all the way to the Employment Tribunal but didn't win, the judge ruled that although my employers were incompetent and my treatment cruel and disgusting they hadn't broken any laws. I hope you get some resolution internally, CC x

Hi snapper
I was let go of my job after I was diagnosised and am currently looking at taking it further as she made it obvious why.
Before you make any decisions ring Ava's in the morning- they have routes to go through. If your position is being made redundant they need to follow procedure - I've worked in HR but not up on the legal terms etc, they could clarify what they are required to do - hope they can help xx
Highlighted

Work

Went back to work in January and all seemed ok, I still had two chemo sessions to do and then herceptin and Hormone thereapy. Has 3 herceptin and started on Hormone tablets this week. Work asked to have a formal chat this week and it seems that my job doesn't exist any longer, the manager seems to think that I might consider a different role if I don't feel up to doing my old job.

They said to think it over and if I still want my role as Team Leader then they'll see if there is somthing else similar, this weekend I have done a lot of research to see where I stand and I will see him on Minday to let him know that I feel fine and do want to do my role as TL.

Thought it was too good to be true that after surgery and chem that life could start to move on, has anyone else had this sort of treatment from their employers because I would love to know.

Cheers Snapper