Working and Lymphoedema

Wondering if anyone out there has similar experience to me. Brief history - Dx Dec 06, WLE surgery 10 lymph nodes removed, chemo + rads. Dx with lymphoedema a year ago and struggling to keep it under control. Workwise I am currently a dinnerlady at the local school which means lifting of heavy hotboxes, hotplate, boxes of plates, putting out tables, risk of burns and cuts – if fact everything we are told to avoid! Had a session with LymphAssist yesterday and felt much better but within 5 minutes of being at work my arm and hand had swelled up again. Just wondering what my options are about work. I know that my employer should find me something else to do but there is only that job otherwise I would have to commute a long distance. Do I give up my job and try and find something else? Any advice? thanks

Hello missb

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums.
May I suggest that you telephone our free helpline on 0808 800 6000 and speak to one of our breast care nurses who are here to support you through this difficult time. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Missb, did you get measured for a sleeve and/or glove to wear when you had your lymphoedema appointment?
I have got it in my boob and side and arm and go for manual lymphatic drainage every so often and have been shown how to self massage too,also have a sleeve to wear. I’m lucky in that mine isn’t soooooooo bad and have caught it early but some days are worse than others. Re your job,you will have to try and “protect” your arm as much as poss. I have taken up a new career and run a market stall twice a week.It does involve a fair bit of manual work and have to carry 56lb weights about to weigh down the stall,however, I do wear a stronger compression sleeve and try and use my good arm as much as poss.At the moment my lymphoedema seems to be under control and fingers crossed it will stay that way.

I would def try and get as much help and info as poss from your lymphoedema support team. Good luck and hope it settles down for you.

Sandra x

Hi Missb

if the treatment made a difference you are still in a possition to stop the lymphoedema getting worse, from what i have read and info i have off from the ladies on this site, the golden rule seems to be to catch it early. Like Sandra i too get treatment every so often and have a sleeve and glove, if i know i am goign to be using my arm …even driving longdistances i wear my sleeve. I find the manual massage great too, but more as a preventative and not once the swelling has set in. Is your employer a local authority or a large catering company if so they should have a Occupational Health Dept and you should contact them. Your GP can refer you for a sleeve

rhian

Hi Missb

My job involves lifting too. Before i went back to work my place of work was told by occupational health to carry out a risk assessment and find ways for me to avoid lifting. Could you ask to be referred?My problem was that occ health didn’t know anything about lymphodema! Try to wear your sleeve/glove at work if you have to lift etc. I got lazy and was told off (nicely) by my Bc nurse as the swellling had increased. She said not to wait until my arm starts to ache before I put the sleeve on so now I use it all day every day at work. It also reminds my work colleagues that I need to be careful!

Don’t give up your job unless you want to. You are covered by the disability act so your employer has to help you do your job safely.
Take care.