Working through Chemo

Hi Everyone,

I am starting 6 cycles of FEC-T next week and have agreed with my employer to just go in and do a few hours whenever I feel up to it, they have been amazingly supportive since my diagnosis.

However, in recent days my GP has offered to sign me off for the duration due to infection risk. My Breast Care nurses, Consultant oncologist and the cancer nurses all seem to think that it would be best not to work, for the same reason, saying that Jan and Feb are the  worst time for patients picking up serious infections.    I normally work in a big theatre and am in contact with the public all the time, however I have been offered admin in the theatre offices so the risk would be less, though there is a large number of staff in the big open plan offices.

My approach since diagnosis, has been to be positive and maintain as much normality in our lives as possible, and my arrangement to work a few hours was part of this approach.  I understand that Jan and Feb are the big months for coughs, colds, flu and bugs, but am wondering what advice others have been given on this subject?

Any comments or advice would be very welcome.  Thank You.

Hi Babtastic…I’m sure people will be along with their experiences, however here’s a link to a recent thread on the same topic…hope it helps…M x

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/WORKING-amp-CHEMO/m-p/911527/highlight/true#M126822

Hi Babtastic. I have just had 3rd FEC and had the same attitude as you wanting to keep some normality in my life and continue working, my employer has been very supportive throughout. I work in an office with 10 other employees & do get some footfall from the general public. I have moved to the back of the office to avoid too much contact with GP, My oncologist, GP & chemo nurses have not discouraged me to work as long as I am sensible. With the last 2 treatments I found I needed the day of chemo plus 4-5 days following off work but of course everyone has different reactions. I can see your dilemma & if all of your Doctors etc are discouraging you to make a decision must be very hard but only you can make that decision. I wish you all the very best with your treatment & whatever decision you make with regards to working will be the right one. J xx

Hi Babtatic

I was diagnoised early October Ive had two operations 4th November & 25th November and start Chemo FEC-T x6 on 14th January.
I haven’t work since the beginning of November, I work in the NHS & in my job I am open to infection daily, also this is a busy environment.
Ever since I started this journey I have listened to my Consultant who has always said to me it’s not only the operation it’s also the emotional side that you have to deal with & he did not want me to go into work! When I spoke to my Oncologist & BC nurse they also advised me it is normal to be signed off for a minimum of six months. I have found not being at work difficult, I miss the team that I work with, they have been supportive & visited me when they have been able to.
I have been recovering from my operation well but this week I have had an infection high temperature I attended my local hospital & was told I had an infection where they took the Nodes out & had Cellalitus - not felt too good. I definitely would not have been ableI to work I’m not sure I can juggle treatment, home life & working. Being signed off is the right for me.

I work as a childminder and discussed risk with my oncologist. I managed to work right through with only a few days off and feel it was the right for me a reason to get up and be positive now have 3 more rads to go and still doing okay. I have listened to my body rested when I needed as I have a co minder and reduced the work load I honestly think I would have been very depressed if nothing to keep me going. I did say that I would stop if side effects were unmanageable and I know I’ve been lucky but id say to others if you feel its right for you give it a go.
good luck.

I was ok on the day of chemo and the next 2 days, them I was floored for 5/6 days. The rest of the time I felt quite well. I did find it got harder with each treatment. I planned to go back to work after the chemo and before radiotherapy. I needed further surgery after chemo to get clear margins I then
became very depressed which I didn’t expect as I had been very upbeat up til then. In all I was off work for 11 months.

Sorry that sounds a bit negative. I should say I could probably have worked 2 weeks out of 3 throughout my 6 fec cycles. I felt I recovered from chemo very quickly. The depression was worse, I couldn’t have
worked through it. I took anti depressants and luckily it didn’t last too long.

Hi Babtastic, I worked half of each 3 weekly cycle to start with on an aggressive combo of Docetacol, Carboplatin & Herceptin (TCH chemo). By the 3rd cycle I couldn’t sustain it and after the 4th gave up joining the monthly team meeting.
my employer ws happy to let me decide, like yours. I was very surprised to be so affected, but everyone reacts differently
I guess my advice is it turns out there’s no shame in taking the time out. It may help with the emotional rollercoaster to have some free time for friends when you’re feeling well.
my other surprise was how hard it is for colleagues to see you going through it.
do what’s best for you, you can always change course along the way. Good luck Sarah

Babtastic, definitely see how you feel if your boss is flexible. I thought if work 2 weeks out of 3 but have been floored by the tiredness. I had op in September, infection so second op in December. Chemo started end October but delayed because of infection.

I do work, 2-3 hours a day from home and that’s enough for me. Went back to work probably about 5 weeks after the op. I find that I wouldn’t have had the energy for the hour round trip commute. I have a nap in the afternoon before school run.

It’s a juggle, if you can do it go for it as it definitely keeps me sane and focused instead of dwelling on being sick. But don’t underestimate the side effects which can creep up or floor you. Like others I fund it worse for the first five days of the chemo cycle so take those days off sick.

Best of luck with your treatment and decision. Set up or join a thread for others starting the same time as you under the monthly threads section. It’s invaluable. X

Hi Ladies - there really is no simple answer to this question - so much depends on your home responsibilities/ your workplace/ job/ and your particular response to treatment…
I was diagnosed in June but one reason and another surgery (mastectomy and immediate DIEP reconstruction) took till September for the surgical team to arrange … so I kept working till surgery. Being in a short term contract my initial sick leave allowance was only 5 weeks - so I was pleased to get healed and fit enough for work after just 4 weeks.
During initial FEC treatments I worked up to chemo day - Thursdays - and sometimes that morning - then off the next day and the following Monday usually needed to be at home too. How much of that first week was possible depending on side effects and the accumulating response. The third week was a fairly reliable bet. Changing to Docetaxet did not agree with me at all with numerous side effects - luckily this was thru Christmas and New Year - I really could not have worked those weeks.
Went back to FEC from 15 January and am only just getting back to work this week as effects of chemo are accumulative and regaining fitness becomes a slower process for some of us. Planning to be in first 3 days of next week before next chemo - and hopefully similar next (last) cycle. What proves possible thru radiotherapy remains to be seen…
For me (no children) being at work has been important to assist an element of ‘normality’ in my life. But as each of us reacts differently to the chemo you really do need to find your own path… All best wishes x