cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working whilst having chemo?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Working whilst having chemo?

Hi Michelle
Thank you for your response,each piece of information helps,it is all new to me and a lot to take in. I really appreciate sharing my thoughts with others who are experiencing breast cancer,best of luck to you.x

Hi Erica37,

I am currently going through chemo and have had 2 sessions of T so far.  I have had to have 3/4 days off after each one due to flu like symptoms (mainly achy).  But like people have said, everyone reacts to the treatment differently.  One lady i know went out for a 4 mile run after her treatment!  Fingers crossed you won't be too bad, but make sure you tell your Onc/bc nurse of any side effects as they will probably have something that can help.

Good Luck 🙂

Michelle 

Thank you for your reply,it is all so daunting at the moment,and I am trying to prepare myself for all eventualities but it is a comfort to know that it is still possible to carry on working if I can.I would like it to be my decision ,not my cancers. Thanks once again.

it really depends how you respond to and cope with treatment..That varies widely even when people have exactly the same regime. I was able to work through 8 sessions of chemo last year, but needed a couple of days off after each treatment, and worked reduced hours the rest of the time. I found that the tiredness built up over time as well, so the later sessions were harder from that perspective (although easier in that I knew what to expect)

Thank you so much for your quick response,and even more for the information you have passed on to me! I have been stressing over loosing my hairdressing business ,as I will not be able to afford the rent long term,if I am not earning. It's great to hear that need not be the case. Good luck and health to you both,I appreciate your reply.!xxx

Hi Erica,

My own hairdresser had breast cancer and underwent chemo then surgery (lumpectomy including loss of her nipple plus ovarian surgery), radiotherapy and reconstruction of nipple and worked throughout her treatment. She reduced the number of clients that she dealt with when she was particularly unwell during chemo and those of us that she did continue to see were more than happy to fit around her availability knowing that there would be some times when she didn't feel well enough to work but they were rare.  She is just coming up to her 5 year cancer diagnosis anniversary (if that's the right way of putting it!) and doing great now and she says that working was one of the ways she kept her sanity through it all.  Having said that, I think it is such an individual thing as others (me being one of them!) find it a blessing not to have to go to work (and my hairdresser has been a brilliant source of advice too)!

xx

Sharon

Thank you for your quick response,best of luck to you also.xxx

Hi erica, can't answer your question from experience,  but I work in a medical centre and know many people who work through whilst receiving treatment. Some occasions people ask for a sick note if they have had a rough day, but we are all different. I probably will be in the same situation as I have to wait until 20th feb for my results. I believe we have to take each day as it comes and hearing from some of the lovely ladies here there are many who continue with work. All the best to all of us xxxxxxxx

Working whilst having chemo?

Hi there,
Is there anybody out there who is currently still working whilst having chemotherapy treatment? I am awaiting a lumpectomy,followed by the possibility of chemotherapy .I have a small hairdressing business ,which I am anxious to keep.I just wondered if I would still be able to work during treatment? Are any of you in a similar situation? Thank you.