71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working whilst undergoing treatment.....

10 REPLIES 10
jmeg

Re: Working whilst undergoing treatment.....

Hi I am on EC 2nd cycle day 12 I work part-time in a shop and told my ONC that I wanted to try and work through,Also going on to T after EC but he is doing it weekly for 12 wks to minimise SEs. I only work thurs/fri/sat so he arranged chemo for mondays so I have a few days after and I also get super duper WBC injection on the tuesday and this cycle they gave me anti sickness injection(because of sickness of cycle 1) with the chemo that lasts 8 days and not suffered any nausea at all this time,I only get SSP when I am off sick so lose the first 3 days had to put a sick note in this week for 2 weeks because of a rare SE that I devloped but spoke to HR because if I am going to lose 3 days each time I am off sick then finacally not worth working and would of got a full 6 mths sick note,but she explained because its the same illness I wont lose any more days after this if I am off again but I am learning to listen to my body and just take each day as it comes and put myself first.
Jill
Helm

I've just started chemo (1st one 3 weeks ago), and I'm currently looking for a new job. I'm very worried about how I'll cope when I find one. I've not been feeling my normal self at all after chemo, I generally feel very fatigued and am not able to be as active as I normally am. I also caught an infection last week (on antibiotics, which adds to not feeling great).
I think there's a bit more security if you are already in a job, but for a new job...I can't imagine it would go down well, having to take time off for feeling unwell, and also there's the risk of catching an infection (depending on the work environment).
Zuzy how did you manage to get a week off after each chemo session? Was that unpaid or on company sick pay if I may ask. Seems like you have a very accomodating employer:)
I'll check the macmillan link posted, but any other advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
Melrose15

Hi Julie. If you can make a casual arrangement that you'll work on an as and when basis. I work part time, 3 days a week, in a school office. I worked 1 day first week, 1.5 days 2nd week and 2 days 3rd week. Now we've broken up so I don't have to worry. I would definitely take each day as it comes as everyone is very different and my s/e's have been different cycle 2 to 1. If they're pressuring you they're on dodgy ground!! Xx
juliemb

posted from my phone, looks like i'm drunk lol xx
Maryland

Blinking iPad, posted twice doh!!

Maryland

Hi Julie.....some useful resources here if you are feeling under pressure from work

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Workandcancer/Supportforemployees/SupportForEmployees.aspx

netball

Hi Julie
I was on Fec-T and was able to work part time while on the first three but only the week before treatment started again. When I went onto chemo no 4 that all changed and I haven't been back to work yet. I am planning on going back soon. Everyone is different so speak to your boss and explain that you will just have to listen to your body and play it by ear. Good Luck. Vi
juliemb

Thank you both for your replies I feel pressured to be able to work from been said in the office which helping, why people be a bit more caring?!!! X
Maryland

Hi Julie.....I worked all through chemo last year (school business manager) as I needed to for sense of 'normality', approved by my Onc. However, she insisted I stayed at home during the few days my white blood count was anticipated to be low. Had FEC-T and was hospitalised once....1st 'T' with an unknown infection, possibly masked by oral thrush! She did say we're more at risk from ourselves, i.e. scratches when gardening, eating unpasteurised food or dodgy takeaways(!) than from other people.
As the chemo effects tend to be cumulative, and everyone reacts differently (no-one can predict what side effects you personally will have) best advice I can give is to take each day as it comes, listen to your body and do what feels right for you. Looking back I thought I was OK and functioning this time last year, but can actually see now how slow (in all respects) I was!! 5 minutes to walk across playground that now takes me 30 seconds. Also made silly mistakes like forgetting to click the 'submit' button for a funding bid and then having to re-bid 6 months later......
With a very supportive Deputy Head and team, I was enabled to do what I could manage, and absolutely feel even now that it was the right decision for me personally. Not sure I could have managed a long absence and phased return...at the end of the day it's your decision and you will make the right one for you.
You take care x

Zuzy

I've worked through it so far (no 5 next week) have had a week off after each then worked reduced hours some in the office and some at home, i ended up on hospital one night during cycle 2 but was with a cold that I caught whilst I was at home! I'd as see how you feel and give it a go! Good luck on Tuesday xx
juliemb

Working whilst undergoing treatment.....

Hi, I am due to start my chemo tues 23rd, am currently working part time in an office. I was wondering how many of you managed to carry on working whilst having chemo and if it is safe to do so regarding picking up infections etc.
Julie xx