cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with bone mets .

5 REPLIES 5
belinda

Re: Working with bone mets .

Hi, as Val has already mentioned you're able to receive DLA even working full time. If you are happy and want to work I'd say keep working. Smiley Happy I went back to work for a while but my job could be stressful as part of my job was dealing with student's problems.  (I worked at a further education college) I applied for early retirement. Glad to read you are feeling so well. Smiley Happy x

Tournesol

Good luck with your decision making. I know what you mean about the difficulty of planning. I am the same age as you and also had my primary and secondary diagnoses in the same years. I do an office job too but find parts of mine quite stressful, although I do have fun at work from time to time. I don't feel that I have the choice to cut down or stop work because of finances and my employer won't give me ill health retirement yet, but if I could I think I would go part time.

Best wishes,

Tournesol

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies. . I am 48 and my work is office based . My family are all grown up now and out at work.
I think I suddenly had a panic that I had got my priorities completely wrong re wanting to work full time . I think I will look into part time hours. I have been putting it off as I wanted life to stay as normal as possible for as long as possible. Maybe I need a new "normal". I wish you all well and thank you. Xx
Ps I hope I am using this forum properly and this gets posted . Lots of love xxxx
scottishlass

Hello, You can be in receipt of DLA while you are working. There is an upper age limit but not certain what it is.I think you should contact a Mcmillan Nurse or a BC nurse to see if you are eligible to apply for the benefit. 

Your work....It depends on what kind of work you do and I suppose age enters into the equation too. Sorry do not feel able to give any advice here. I was diagnosed with extensive bone mets in 1999 and was in extreme pain at the time but thankfully it is under control now.

Retiring early was the best thing I ever did (for me) as it has allowed me to spend time with my family and do things that I may not be able to do in the future as the disease progresses.

Wishing you all the best and good luck with your decision making. Sorry I cannot be of any more help. Val

powerjen

I am sorry I cannot advise on financial situation, if you enjoy work could you go part time? And see more of your family x

Guest user
Not applicable

Working with bone mets .

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on here for ages. . I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002 and bone mets on my spine in 2009 which are now extensive. I had a six month course of capcetabine which ended in this May. This successfully stopped everything again and last scan also showed no further progression. I am on 3 weekly herceptin and zometa. long term.

I feel really well no pain at all now. I have now returned to full time work as I love my job.

I would really appreciate any advice or experiences about when to stop work.
I don't want to stop yet but on the other hand I don't want to leave it too late to enjoy my time with my family while I am well. The cancer is only in my bones and hasn't spread anywhere else as yet.
I know how difficult prognosis are but it's so hard to plan.
Also can anyone please advise me about disability living allowance etc if I stop work. Although I will get a lump pension sum if I stop work through ill health money will be very tight.

Thank you so much to everyone. Lots of love xxx