Worried Daughter

Hi all
My mum was referred for repeat mammogram and ultrasound and had 2 core biopsies taken and a FNA from a lymph node under the arm. That was three weeks ago and she has an appointment tomorrow for the results. I have felt the lump and it feels massive. She had an ultrasound almost two years ago due to a lump and was given all clear. This is either the same lump or an extension of it as its in the same area and is where biopsies were taken from. Not sure what the recent ultrasound showed, but the mammogram showed a difference from the one she had three years ago. I’m worried sick, especially as it’s so big and they took sample from lymph node in armpit - I’ve read that is only done if they look abnormal. Anybody else have an FNA of lymph node? I’ve been driving myself crazy these past few weeks. My mum is 63.

Hi Daisy and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read that you are so worried about your Mum, along with the support you will find here please feel free to call our helpliners with any queries or concerns on 0808 800 6000, lines are open during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Daisy,

I was 61 when I was diagnosed. 63 now, so the same age as your mum. I had an ultra sound of the lump I found back in november 2012. They also biopsied it, and a suspicious looking lymph node they saw on the US. Only one lymph node had cancer in it, that (and two others that were clear) were removed when I had my mastectomy. The fact that there was only one node affected was good, it just meant the node was doing its job and soaking up residue from the tumour. I’ve had chemo and am now on Anastrazole for at least 5 years, and no sign of any cancer at the moment. So It isn’t necessarily anything to worry about if there is some cancer in one or two nodes. Sending you both hugs and hoping your mum’s results will be better than expected.

poemsgalore xx

Thanks. I think I’m extra worried as she found a lump almost two years ago and although the US didn’t show it to be a worry, the biopsied area is same area which now has hard tissue under it too. Therefore I’m worried that it’s been there two years and had more chance to spread. Thanks for sharing poems galore and pleased to hear about your progress. Really hoping for a similar outcome for my mum xx