71.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried....Nightmare appointment! Help? :)

5 REPLIES 5
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Worried....Nightmare appointment! Help? :)

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice.
I will go back and make more of a fuss this time. I know people say it all the time but I feel like I'm wasting their time and money. But I suppose at the end of the day if it turned out to be anything I'd regret not going sooner.
I'll keep you posted on any developments.
Thank you again everyone 🙂
xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Sarie, You have a lump in your breast that has grown - this may not be anything malignant, but it is not insignificant. Yes you are young, and that gives you a greater chance that what is there is benign, buts thats all - a greater chance. Your GP cannot diagnose this by touch, neither can the doctor at the breast clinic. They need to give you a triple assessment and a diagnosis to put your mind at rest.
Go back to the GP, see a different doctor if necessary, and tell them how unhappy you are with the situation, how unhappy you were with the last clinic appointment and ask them to refer you for a second opinion. If they balk, take a print out of the information regarding breast lumps on this site, or the one from Coppafeel, which is a charity set up to raise awareness of breast cancer in young women. Syptomatic young women are entitled to have their concerns taken seriously, and your doctor needs to realise that. Ifnecessary take your mum or a friend with you to the appointment, strength in numbers often helps.
By the way, your GP should know that a Clinical Breast Exam involves using the pads of your fingers, not the flat of your hand 😉
Good luck, hope you get some reassurance soon.
angiepops

hi sariefarie
have you tried to see a different doctor and this time make them realise how desperately worried you are and that you need something done. dont give up. you need to know exactly what it is, even if its nothing serious, to stop your worrying.
angie xx
Lucy_BCC

Hi Sarie and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through your concerns on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2, you may also find the following BCC 'Worried about breast cancer' information useful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm_source=promo_content&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=worried

Take care

Lucy

Jlr

Always always go back, never feel stupid, you know your own body better than anyone! Hopefully it is nothing at all to worry about but at least if you go back you can then put your mind to rest! Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Guest user
Not applicable

Worried....Nightmare appointment! Help? :)

Hello everyone.
I apologise in advance if this is a bit long-winded and I'm sure you've heard a million of these stories before but I don't know what to do!
Since about this time last year I have felt a lump in my right breast sort of next to my nipple. I first noticed it by chance in the shower and to me is felt about the shape and size of a lemon pip or something like that. Never really had any pain with it.
I went to the doctors and he examined it and said it's probably a fibro-something-or-other and nothing to worry about but sent me to the breast clinic at the hospital to get it checked. My appt came round and I went in and had an examination first, which was awful. The doctor agreed he could feel something but said it's probably nothing to worry about but sent me for an ultrasound.
Then, he preceeded to comment on the stretch marks on my breasts and asked if I'd put weight on recently. HOW RUDE. I'm a 21 year old girl who weighed 10 stone at the time and had put on a few pounds due to some medication I was on. I feel that it was incredibly insensitive and uneccessary to comment on that but whatever.
So I went for my ultrasound and she said she couldn't see anything to be concerned about and I left the clinic feeling a bit confused. I onbviously didn't go in there looking for some sort of awful diagnosis... but if it wasn't a tumour, what was it!? They didn't even suggest the possiblity of a cyst or anything.
So a couple of months ago I started getting a dull ache in my right armpit and a very tender nipple - almost like it was cracked. And I knew that the lump hadn't gone away in the past year so I went back to the doctors. She examined me, made me feel stupid by saying "if you feel with the flat of your hand there's nothing there!" Actually... with the flat of my hand I can still very much feel it. And she sent me away with nothing but a "it must be to do with your cycle."

The lump is still there and a bit bigger, I would say like a small marble now. I know I'm young and blah blah blah but does anyone think I should go back for another opinion? Both doctors made me feel incredibly small and stupid so I'm a bit scared to but for the sake of my health and listening to my gut feeling, is it worth it?
Thank you to anyone who read this far and anyone who might have any advice!
Sarie xx