Worried about benign biopsy

Hi, ive recently had a biopsy on a lump in my left breast and thankfully the results came back showing no signs of caner. But theyve asked to do another in 6 weeks. My conern is if they gave me the all clear then why do another one in 6 weeks? Can results of biopsys ever be wrong. Or can cancer not show up on a biopsy then to later show on another one done weeks later? Im very mithered and scared about this. Can anyone help please.

Dear milliepops

While you are waiting for other members to respond to your post you may also find it helpful to give our Helpline a call to talk over your concerns. They will be able to offer you information and support. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000. Calls are free and confidential.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Milliepops - I’m so sorry but I have no idea why they would want to repeat the biopsy in six weeks. We might be able to fathom it out if you can post what type of biopsy you have already had ( FNA, Core etc) and what type they are planning to do next. For instance they may have taken a core biopsy for a suspected Fibroadenoma, but feel they want and excisional biopsy for further clarrification. This may not be the case for you. Did they mention which type of biopsy they are planning?
It could be that the first biopsy caused a haematoma, which meant they couldn’t get enough samples, so need to let the area heal before they try again - so there are many reasons…the most unlikely is that cancer will suddenly appear in six weeks, so lets not worry about that part just yet. Take care.

Well i’ve been back 2 weeks ago after my 6 weeks check and they done another core biopsy. I returned on monday for the results not worrying as everything previous was clear only to dropped with the awful bombshell that it is breast caner!! My husband and i sat there in utter shock. Devastated:-( Ive also been on the Tuesday for a MRI scan and currently awaiting those results on Tuesday i think to see if its spread into my lymph glands. Hope and pray it hasnt. I’ll keep you posted.

Hi milliepops

I am sorry to read your news, as Janet said above please do feel free to call the helpline and I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’ page where you will find lots more support ideas and information which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis?utm\_source=Homepage&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=diagnosis

You might want to post in the ‘Newly diagnosed’ section where other users will be able to offer you support and information too

Take care

Lucy

I’m so sorry to hear this - what a shock that must have been.
I hope your MRI scan shows it to be easily treatable and that you’re clear of this asap.
Take care xx

Hi Milliepops

I am so sorry to hear about your news. What a shock that must have been.

When I went to my docs, she told me that my lump felt rather cyst like. I had a mammogram and was then booked in to see the onc. When he examined me, he told me that he thought it was a cyst and tried to take some fluid from it.

He couldn’t get any fluid and went in for a core biopsy. Even then, he still said it would possibly be a cyst. 1 week later I went back for my results, only to be told it was breast cancer. I just took a sharp intake of breath as I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Up to that point (and perhaps I was in denial), I still thought it was a cyst! Now I’m waiting for my lumpectomy on 3rd May.

I haven’t received an MRI Scan, but they are removing my sentinal nodes during the op so I have to wait 12 days before I get any results from the op.

Please do keep us updated and my fingers are crossed for you.
Martha xx