Worried about dental work

I have had a WLE and three LN removed plus radio to lymph nodes and breast. I am worried about the possibility of lympedema but my concerns are being dismissed ny the doctor who says it is more common in complete ancillary clearance (sp). Still I am scared to go to the dentist as the BCC leaflet says this can precipitate lympedema. Does anyone know if it is OK to go to the dentist - I have toothache!

I’ve had a full clearance and have been to the dentist twice!

Your lymphatic system will be more compromised if you ignore your toothache and end up getting an abscess or infection than if you go now.

Maybe tell your dentist so that he/she can prescribe antibiotics if needed?

Good luck
Dx

You only *might* get lymphoedema, and I can’t see why you should particularly, but you *do* have toothache and it isn’t going to go away on it’s own, so I think on balance, yes you need to see the dentist. Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. If you’re into alternative healing methods and find they work for you, you could maybe try them… but not for too long!

I’m sure that if you tell the dentist you’re worried. s/he will do whatever is possible to reduce the risks. You can’t go round with toothache for ever.

In a way your doctor is right, the more nodes you have removed the more at risk you are to get lymphoedema. Zapping those that remain also increases the risk. But it wasn’t very helpful comment, as it left you in a quandrary. No-one likes those! And it didn’t solve the toothache.

One thing that might help is, before you go, check (u-tube) how to do lymph drainage on the collarbone and neck area as that drains the jaw, and have a good hot juice drink, the hot honey and lemon type that clears stuffy noses and sinuses, then do your self massage so everything is as clear as it can be to start with, before the tooth crud is let loose. Being well hydrated also helps lymph to flow better. Dentists can prescribe antibiotics to reduce the amount of nastiness released, but that could delay getting the pain sorted. Ibuprofen relieves pain but it also reduces swelling inflammation and excess tissue fluid, so you could consider taking that too?

Wishing you every luck and getting rid of that pain.

Crikey never heard of that one! Not something else to worry about surely. I presume from other postings this is because of infection risk? Is there really any evidence to support this I wonder.

I developed lymphodema but have had considerable dental work done since such as root fillings and about to have a tooth implant. Not had any problems.

As others have said, you probably don’t have much option with teeth as problems usually only get worse not better without treatment. If you have something invasive done (like a root filling) then talk to your dentist about getting antibiotics either prophylactically or quickly if you show signs of infection.

take care Elinda x

Hi there, everyone is different and no-one really really seems to know the FULL story about why some people get lymphodema…just to tell you that I have no lymph nodes left in armpit, had rads to armpit, have just had two dental implants, ie three trips to dentist of two hours each, and huge facial swelling…
no lymphodema

who knows the whys and wherefores but I wish someone would do lots lots more research on lymphodema, both prevention and treatment
best wishes Nicola

Haven’t heard of this before either but have just recently been to dentist for some work and everything was fine, there seems to always be something else to add to the list with bc xx

Hi I’m married to a dentist and asked him if there was a problem with lymphoedema and dental work and his answer was “rubbish” !!

Best just mention what treatment you’ve had though

PS I’ve had x7 LN removed in November and no lymphoedema

xx

post deleted

Hi
I have mild lymphoedema in hand and arm which comes and goes. I have had four dental implant treatments and have not had an adverse effect. I think the main concern is in case of infection. In which case it might be wise to see your doctor beforehand and ask for the relevant antibiotics for lymphoedema (not just for mouth infection). You may also be wise to see the lymphoedema nurse at your hospital and be fitted for a compression garment.
Lymphoedema is a scary side effect but we are not all liable to suffer from it, nor to the same extent. I used to worry about it a lot as I did not want to compromise in my life and have to avoid doing the things I love, like rollerblading and gardening. I have learned to live with and understand what causes it. I also have learned how to avoid it. There are risks that we take - such as rollerblading or going on holiday to places where there are mosquitos etc., but we learn how to manage and what sort of compromises we are willing to make.
Your best bet is to get all the advice you can from the professionals.
All beset wishes
Harebell