Worried about how recon will look

Worried about how recon will look

Worried about how recon will look Hi Everyone

I haven’t been on here for a long while as have had so much going on mostly very depressing and didn’t want to take you all with me LOL…

I have decided that I can no longer live with a 32DD on one side, besides being very lop sided I am finding underwear and bathing costumes etc just don’t exsist that fit me well enough to support my prosthesis, I was hoping not to have to do the recon as I have Lymphedema in effected side and didnt want to make it any worse.

I am due to see my surgeon next month (I have seen him a few times but was so unsure of the recon that he just said to call if I decided to go ahead, hes been good and knows its a major decision to make).

I have been told that I will need to have the recon where they use the back muscle and an implant that has to be filled up over a period of time and then replaced with a silicone one.

Anyway… I am wondering what it will look like, is it really worth going through all that discomfort for, I am scared of giving myself more problems as I really dont think I can handle any more down stuff (still struggling with the previous down stuff).

I asked my surgeon for pics of previous ladies he had reconstructed but he said he dosent do that as you can end up dissapointed if mine isnt as good as theirs.

Gosh I do go on sorry

Basically I need some great stories to give me encouragment to go on and do it and that my bikini days may not be over after all LOL !!!(ye right LOL)

Hugs

Neen xx

TRAM RECON Well I had tram reconstruction (immediate) and it looks fab !! and so say everyone I have showed, (yes I can’t help showing people because it looks so good).
Don’t get me wrong there is a lot of discomfort, for a few weeks, but just keep the end in sight. I didn’t need any work on the other side as I was 38B, and they have matched them up.
Good luck with your decision, but I would say go for it!!
Judith

Judith Thanks judith for the reply, Im so glad your happy with the recon, and hey if you have got it flaunt it LOL…

I see you are from Merseyside, Im just wondering where you had it done if you dont mind me asking and where you shown pics of other ladies that your surgeon had reconstructed before you had it done? Was it how you expected it to be etc? Sorry Im so full of questions !

Hugs Neenie xx

I was under Linda Mc Centre in Liverpool, and that’s were I made all my decisions, and would have gone to the Women’s Hospital for the op. But then I switched to BUPA as I found I was fully covered in the scheme through my job.
I did get shown pictures by the support nurse, and I used the ‘peer system’ through Breast Cancer Care, they put me in touch with a nice lady who had the same 5 years ago, and I asked her all the ‘stupid’ questions. (I had not found this website by them).
Because I had seen photos it was what I expected, the scar across the stomach is from hip to hip and that was bigger than expected if I am honest.
It’s good to ask loads of question to whomever so you are fully confident in the decision you make, don’t let anyone close to you influence you. My hubby was great but he kept saying to me why are you going for the one with the biggest op and recovery.

Are you under Clatterbridge or Arrowpark ?

Good Luck
x

Judith I am under Clatterbridge under a plastic surgeon called Mr Juma. I think I may do another post on here to see if there are any ladies on here that have had there op there and with the same doc too.

I just feel like the docs do it everyday so it becomes normal for them. The mastectomy wasn’t by choice but this recon is so I want to find out as much as I can before deffinatley going ahead with it.

Thank you so much for replying it means the world to me xx

mast/recon Hi Judith.
How long did it take for you to recover?
Trying to get a realistic guide.
As l am due to go on holiday 5 weeks after my op. and my surgeon says shes not too sure & the plastic surgeon says he can see no problems.
Hope you can help.
Best wishes Hazel.

Hazel Hi Hazel
I will not start with the one ‘everyone’s different’, we all no that!!

I took about 8 weeks before I thought, yes I could go back to work. But I had taken advise from some of the hit’s I had seen on this site saying once they had gone back at 8wks they found it hard so the advice I was going to follow was 12 weeks. (Until chemo got in the way!!)
But as for a holiday, if it’s just a relaxing one, and not hiking or skiing. Personally I would have found it ok.

The biggest thing is the stomach scar, I don’t know if it’s Tram you have opted for, and if not then I think the LD is much quick. I have a friend who just had the mastectomy with no recon, and was back at work within 4 weeks.
I did a lot of walking daily, just to get some strength back. I think this helped, as I was not a fit person before the op.

Hope this helps.
Judith

Hi Neenie I had ld recon with an expander in that had to be blown up over a period of time, this was then replaced with an implant. I decided to have a second mastectomy so had the lat d done on both sides.

I too have lymphodema on my operated side arm. I was a 34 D cup when I had my breasts removed. My surgeon told me that they
would be smaller so I told him to go as big as he could. He took me
literally I think, have just been measured for a bra 34 e/f cup wey hey.

I have one a little bigger than the other as both my ops were done at
different times and one still needs to settle but they look fantastic
in underwear and swimwear. No one would ever know what I have
been through and would just think what a fantastic pair of knockers Ha.

There is some discomfort but thats what it is discomfort, I had a
couple of problems with infections which is why I had to have
one side redone but the end result is great I would go through it all
again without a question.

Hope this helps with your decision.

karen x

Thanks Karen x Hi Karen

I was so excited to read your message as it has given me so much hope and positivity towards the recon.

Im so glad for you that you are so pleased with the results and I just hope I can be half as happy with mine. Its just what I needed to hear.

can I ask how it has effected your back, is there a big scar or big dip where they have taken the muscle from (although I would rather this than the dip I have in the front at the moment LOL). I have a rather big 3 year old boy and am wondering if I will end up with any major weakness that may effect my ability to care for him, pick him up etc.

Thank you so much for replying and for giving me a ray of hope that all can be put fairly right again…yeyyyyyyy!!

Hugs

Neenie xx

Hi Neenie I have 3 children 3.5, 6 and 7 and I can honestly say that apart from
re-couperation period I have not found any major problems.

Remember I have got 2 back scars as had first ld last march and my
scar looks like a fine white line a little lower down my back. This felt tight for about 6 months but I now cannot tell it has been done. My second lat d was done jan this year, but this op was rather strange as
because I hadn’t enough skin I had to have expander put in under back and this blown up over time, (hunchback of notradam had nothing on me). This was all removed and bought round front. The scar for that runs right along my bra line. I would say there is a slight
dent in back but not that anyone else would notice. So I have had two lots of back muscle removed and am only 10 weeks from last op and feeling great. I still have a little tightness on new op side but keep doing those stretching excercies (my 3 year old is enough) and I know that will go. As i said in my last post I had trouble with a couple of infections but persevered. Am going to Spain on Saturday and cannot wait to get into my tankini(bikini out since having 3 kids ha).

The scarring on the front also fades very well, I used bio oil most days and rub along the scar this works really well.

.Have you had an appointment or any dates through? Soz not good on computers hence the broken sentances ha.

Love karen

Hi Karen Hi Karen

I have had several appointments with the surgeon but on my last appointment was told that I could no longer have the op we had planned as when he examined me, my chest muscle had thinned which meant having the expander put under the muscle was no longer possible. It had taken me long enough to pluck up the courage for that op and now was facing a more complicated one so I bottled out!!

He was very nice and just said to go away and have a think and if I wanted to go ahead with it just to give his secretary a call and book to see him which I did. I had to wait 3 months for an appointment aghhhhhhhhrrrrr! I am seeing him next month so Im expecting to find out roughly how long the wait for the actual op will be. I hope its not too long as that will give me more time to bottle out again LOL.

Im going to save your mails though so I can read them if I start to get the wobblies again.

Have a fantastic holiday and enjoy every minute of wearing your Tankinis. Go strut your stuff !!! :slight_smile:

Hugs

Neenie xx

Hi Neenie Don’t know if this will make you feel a little better, but I had an expander put under my chest muscle when I had my second mastectomy. This is the one that had several infections and had to be reversed. The shape was nowhere near as good as the result achieved with the lat dorsi op in my opinion. I also had more pain from that op , strange I know.

Let me know when you get a date maybe I could give you some encouragement if you get wobbly.

Take care

karen x

message for neenie… Hi neenie, My name is lisa im also on the wirral in bidston village, i was told i had bc last june 06 had my breast off in july06 started chemo (4xepi an 4x cmf) aug06 which i finished 5 weeks ago, all done at clatterbridge i was with Mr Berstock. With all my treatment over i had an appointment yesturday with Dr Errington who said he would write a letter to Mr Ali Juma who is the plastic surgeon at chester, he said i would be ready for recon within the next 4 months, which recon ill have i have no idea. Im also very worried about how its going to look. Anyway ill just wait for an appointment and see just how they are going to make me a new boob and just hope that my bikini days are not over lol…Thanks for listening and good luck ill be thinking about you, take care.xxlisaxx

Hi Karen Yes it makes me feel loads better as you have had experience of both recon types that were offered to me and you prefer the lat d one which gives me lots of smiles.

I will deffinatley let you know about any dates they may give me as I am very sure the wobblies will follow LOL.

Let me know how your holiday goes too if you get the chance.

Hugs Neenie xx

Hi Lisa Its great to hear from someone so local and who has attended the same hospital. I know Bidston Village quite well as I only live in Bromborough. I did all my treatments etc at Clatterbridge with Mr Swe and Dr Malik and am also seeing Mr Juma too. My Mum was under Mr Berstock a few years back and I know him from seeing him doing his rounds on the wards LOL.

We could end up next to each other on the same ward LOL.

I have met Mr Juma quite a few times now and he is really nice and understanding. He was present at the time of my Matectomy along with Mr Swe, as they were going to try to reconstruct me at the same time if possible. Im sure he will look after us very well and do the best job possible. Im not giving up on my bikini yet, how about you !!

It would be great if we could stay in touch as we have so much in common. I too have a daughter who is comming up to 12 and we are a horsey lot here too, although I sadly sold my mare as I was worried that I wasnt going to manage her along with the chemo.

Bikinis’R’Us !!!

Hugs

Neenie xx

hi neenie Hi neenie, hope all is well with you, just writing a short note to tell you if you are in west kirby wednesday from 11am till 1pm call into morrisons supermarket as ill be there selling tickets to support The Wirral Holistic Therapeutic Cancer Care Centre in Claughton Village i started going to the centre when i finished my chemo its a great place so just doing my bit to say thank you to them and help them out. A long way to come from your home but i was just thinking about you and mr ail juma, the nurse at bupa told me last week that mr juma will be doing an open evening in bupa in may sometime, ill write with date for you as soon as i find out. Well kids finished school so you and your family have a great easter. Take care karah.xx lisaxx

Hi Lisa My Mum lives in Claughton Village and I have never heard of The Wirral Holistic Theraputic Cancer Care Centre. What do they do? Sounds very interesting and possibly like the sort of place I had been looking for throughout my treatment. I have a family member who had breast cancer at the same time as me and lost her sister to it a few years before and I think she may be interested in knowing about it too.

I am actually due to move to Ireland on 7th May so I will miss the open evening with Mr Juma. I would have gone along to that if possible as Im sure it would be very benificial. If you go you will have to let me know how it went if you get the chance.

Sadly,I don’t think I will get chance to pop in to Morrisons to say Hi as I have a busy week ahead of me. Its my sons 18th birthday on Easter Sunday and my daughter is also preparing for the new dance season which also starts on Easter Sunday and I am also so busy with organising the Ireland move which seems to be approaching so fast now. Good luck with the ticket selling though. (Do they do accupuncture or any stress relieving therapy as I think after this week and the next few of packing etc I may be in great need LOL!! )

Hope you are all vey well

Hugs Neenie

xx

this post is for neenie hi i am also under the same plastic surgeon mr juma. i am waiting for a date for a double mastectomy with reconstruction using my tummy. have you had yours yet and did you hear from any other ladies who have been treated by mr juma?

hi neenie,
I’m replying to you because I’m normally around a 32 E and had a mastectomy 2 years ago. I hated trying to find bras and swimwear, what is available is very limited and thay didn’t make me feel good about my self. I have just had a becker implant put in to stretch the skin before I have diep reconstruction. I was very frightened of a few things before the surgery but got the opportunity to tell the surgeon my fears. He completely put my mind at rest. The operation was straight forward and I have just had the first expansion done. There was discomfort and pain after the surgery, but I am sure most people could cope with it. I have young children so I have tried to rest as much as possible…reallly, so that I recover well. I am so delighted with my little breast and I am so pleased that I have decided to go ahead with this. I cannot make my mind up whether I would like the other side to be reduced so that I am more of a 32D at the end of it all. The surgeon knows this and we will discuss it later. I just wanted to get on with things. Hope this may be of help.