Worried about lump while waiting for appointment

Hi, few weeks ago I noticed my breast were heavier and bigger. I thought nothing of it. Few month later I was having pain, 4 weeks the pain got severe and couldn’t sleep, hot flushes ect. Finally made appointment as one side on my left breast was firmer and thicker. Nurse practitioner examined me and said it more likely an infection. But then found a lump, she didn’t know If was cyst. My appointment was on the Friday, the very next day I received my appointment for the Wednesday, less then 5 days. I wasn’t worried up until I got app through as it was very quick, which has now made me nervous and anxious. I’m struggling to eat and sleep. I don’t know who to talk to. I have 5 kids so the thought of having anything sinister is tearing me up. Any help would be appreciated

Hi Crampton,

It is quite usual for referrals for any breast change to done under the ‘2 week rule’ under official guidelines, so do not read anything into getting an appointment quickly, that is what should happen. 

Thankfully, you are now getting it properly checked out & for the vast majority of women, there turns out to be a benign reason for the breast change, not bc. 

Chances are all will be well & nothing will change between now & the appointment, so it can help to carry on as normal & distract yourself, although feeling anxious about it is quite usual of course.

If you want to, do let us know how you get on, most women who post on here turn out not to have bc. 

ann x

Hi thank you. Just never been through anything like this. So has made me anxious. I will keep you updated.