Worried and alone

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to this whole breast cancer thing. It has been an intense and incredibly stressful week, and I have 5 days until I can see the doctor. Let me give you some background…

I am 26 years old, and teaching English in Singapore. I am alone and have been here for about 3 months. Last Saturday (one week ago) I found a lump in my right breast-large and immobile. I then noticed the skin on both breasts has changed. It is red, and both breasts are itchy and covered in enlarged pores (it looks like peau d’orange). My left armpit is tender and painful. My left shoulder has been hurting since February ( I thought I tweaked it at the gym), and I have had chronic chest and back pain since 2011 (only on my left side). My doctor told me it was anxiety and put me on anti-anxiety meds. I haven’t had an appetite at all.

I would go to the doctor ASAP, but as I only started work 7/15, my probationary period ends 10/15- and insurance kicks in. If I go now and something IS wrong, it will be considered a preexisting condition, and will not be covered. I need some thoughts, positive ones, and encouraging words to make it through these next few days.

My late teens/early 20s were an unhealthy time. A lot of binge drinking, smoking, weight gain, and birth control. I feel like I have brought this on myself, and I am looking for girls who are in a similar boat? Anyone?

Dear katty121586,

Gosh that sounds awful. You are in a bit of a dilemma. Some of what describe sounds like the symptoms we are advised to look out for and are certainly worth having checked out. I fully appreciate you would not be insured but it’s a long wait for your insurance to kick in. Is there anybody at home that can help? Could u see somebody privately for a quick check and not declare it?? You are not alone as the lovely women here will offer much moral support, but how scary. I’m sure it will all be OK. xx

Hi,
Didn’t want to read & not reply,
And I’m certainly no expert at all,
I don’t really have any advice as I’m waiting myself for biopsy results at the moment.

All I can say is, your health is more important than any insurance, & I don’t like the sound of your symptoms,
You must go & see someone ASAP & get checked over.
I’m sure it’ll turn out to be severe mastitis or something similar, but you should go & get looked at,
Try not to worry, easier said than done, as I’m worrying myself at the minute!
Do you have anyone you can call? (Mum, or friend? You shouldn’t have to go through this on your own.
Please let me know how you get on x