Worried and waiting

Hello all
I had a mammogram last Friday ,got a call from them on Wednesday to say “there are changes and a mass in your left breast” you need to get an urgent referral for "ultra sound " from your GP . I had the mammogram done privately through the works scheme so on that advice I went to see GP and he has referred me .i have an appointment at my local NHS hospital to see the "consultant " in out patients on Thursday morning , I asked her on phone when she called to give me date “are they going to do a scan” she said the consultant will assess and decide . I don’t know what to expect ? I have the disc of the mammogram and my GP faxed it to the hospital. I’m 50 year old my maternal grandmother died of breast cancer I’m trying not to worry but it’s impossible plus my husband can’t come with me to the appointment and I’ve got no other family .

No other family able to come with me

hi melissa,
Has your gp referred you to the breast clinic? as if you have been referred there, then any necessary investigations will be done at that appointment, which will include a breast examination, ultrasound& possibly a repeat mammogram or biopsy, If a biopsy is needed then there is a further 1-2 week wait for the results.
Mostly all turns out to be well, but even if it is more serious, bc is very treatable these days with most women recovering & getting on with life.
ann x

None that are not working that day

I don’t know if it’s the breast clinic or not they just said out patient to see the consultant but she did say they could do a scan if he thinks i need it . I’m hoping it’s just something like a cyst or at least nothing to worry about I just don’t know what to expect thanks for your reply

I finally got the letter confirming the mammogram results and it said 12 mm mass and its marked M3 , which i understand is “probably benign” , so that gives me a lot of hope, will find out on Thursday what the consultant thinks 

I think that’s referring to the “Birads” score. The international radiologists grading system for mammograms. Birads 3 is “probably benign” and maybe monitored. I’m in Spain and was given my birads score, but from what I see from this forum in UK most dont seem to be told. I have a copy of my radiologist report. I had a lump which was birads 3 and microcalcifications graded 4 “Suspicious, further action recommended.”

My grade 3 lump was biopsied because I had the grade 4 microcalcifications that needed a biopsy anyway, so the radiologist did both. The lump result was a fibroadenoma.

Good luck and best wishes.
Xx

Thanks ladies I was fine yesterday now I’m getting nervous again ! Aghh

Hi all had further imaging ,ultrasound and a core biopsy which wasn’t too bad feeling a bit sore now have the results of biopsy on 30 Dec at further appointment. The view is it is likely to be a benign thick cyst so not too worried

Well done for getting through it. Best wishes for your results. Let us know. Xx

Thank you poppy I will xx have a good Chris

Thanks lady blower I will also add that the consultant the radiologist and the nurses were all so lovely ! They were totally supportive and nice

Fab news!! You can relax and enjoy new year now!! Xx

hi newtothis,
No, you are not wasting anyone’s time & the ‘red flag’ or 2 week referral criteria is usual practice anyway.
As we’ve said on the other thread, thankfully, you have got the referral to get it sorted out.
let us know what happens
ann x

No, nothing specific at all, but any breast changes should be properly investigated, no matter how old you are, so please dont think you are any less important.
Well done for getting a referral, that’s what the breast clinic is for & only the clinic can get to the bottom it, it’s what there’re for. Bc is the least likely outcome.
let us know what happens
ann x