Worried

Hello everyone,

this is my first post on this site and I´m not sure where to start so I apologise in advance if this is a bit long!

I´m 22 and my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago. She was diagnosed 6 months after a stressful divorce, and as an active, non-smoking Vegan, to me it seems obvious that it´s the stress that brought on her illness in the first place. I don´t fully understand her treatment, because she doesn´t like talking about it, but from what I understand, her cancer is hormone fed, so she has an injection once a month which brought on the menopause, then she takes Arimadex every day.

Like I said, I don´t understand her treatment, but when she first started it she told me she would take the Arimadex for 3 to 5 years. I think we both thought that after this time she would be cured or something. As time went on it seems that the Arimadex works for 5 years and then apparently they change it to something else, but that whatever she takes, she´s on medication until it stops working and then it´s the end. I don´t know how long away that is, but the only timeline I have to work on is the 5 year thing. I feel like everything I say here is irrational, but I need to share it with people who understand because I´m struggling with trying to understand it by myself. To me it seems that if stress is what caused this, then maybe her not being stressed will help make her better, or help her live longer.

Currently she owes about 30,000 pounds to different banks and solictors, and she will never manage to pay this off by herself. Bailiffs come to the house, and banks phone every day trying to pursue the money. They are horrible people and when I answered the phone they were nasty to me and it stressed me out just answering 2 phone calls. I can´t imagine what it´s like for her having to deal with it all the time. She is the strongest woman I know and has been through so much, and always makes out as if the world is fine. But I am coming to an age now where I know that when mothers tell you everything is okay, it isn´t always true.

I am studying languages at university and moved to Portugal 2 weeks ago to complete a period of residence abroad which is compulsary for my course.
It will take me a year here and then another year at university before I finish. It will then be 5 years that she will have been on Arimadex and I don´t know what happens after that. I feel like when I was at home I had an epiphany, the epiphany being that she needed help. What I want, is to get the banks and the bailiffs and the letters and the phone calls out of her life, and let her breathe, and live, and feel free, and hopefully, get better, though I know I cant hope for this. The only way I can think of making this happen, is if I got a job and paid off her debts. I want to do this, but instead I´m stuck in a foreign country and I feel helpless. Part of me says I´m here for a year and to just get it over with. And another part of me is terrified that I might not have a mum to come home to, or that it might be too late by then to do anything. I already took 2 years out of my degree due to depression and it´s been a long effort getting back on the course. I don´t know what my tutors would say if I went home now and asked for another couple of years out.

I worry about this every day and it´s worse now I´m here because I feel so helpless. All I want to do is the right thing, but i don´t know what that is. I can´t talk to my my mum or my younger sisters about this, and my friends don´t understand and change the subject. I tried talking to my dad but he said he didn´t care. I´m sorry if this sounds melodramatic, but I don´t know what the answers are.

Thanks in advance to those who read this and reply, and my thoughts go to everyone else who is also struggling with this horrible illness.

Hi Harriet,
I can see why your mum is so stressed,and also your self.Please get intouch with the C>A>B and also the macmillan cancer support,
I’m sure that they will be able to help.and also the Breast cancer care will be able to explain your mums dx,Hope this helps,xxxxx

Dear Harriet

It sounds as though you’re having a tough time of it at the moment, you are welcome to use the overseas number for our helpline (+44)2076200077, you may find it helpful to ring as the helpliners can offer you support, advice and information. The line is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes

Lucy

Dear Harriet
I’m so sorry that all this stress is in you and your mums lives. The CAB have a web site(just google cab) and then you can find your mums local branch. Sometimes they are very difficult to contact but keep trying. In the mean time a very good organisation is the National Debtline, (again Google search…or I think the address is www.nationaldebtline.co.uk ), once on sight you can go to the right part of the country and down load lots of helpful info. They also have ‘stencil’ types letters that you can do, a really good page where you can work out how much each creditor is entitled to and a reconised means test to show your mums financial position. Keep all the correspondance to show the CAB.
I hope you get on o.k. Debts are horrid but there is a way forward and once you start to contact people officially they soon accept the situation and all the horrid letters etc stop.
Take care
Scarlet.

Hi Harriet,

Sorry that you have all these worries as well as your mums health ,can I suggest moneysavingexpert.com as a place to get advice re your Mums debts.

Good luck

Dot
xxx

your mother might opt to become bankrupt as I think then debts are written off. However, there are implications to this in not being able to get various financial things later e.g. loans, mortgages etc. Advice shows suggest writing down outgoings, ingoings and working out ways to cut unnecessary expenditure and maximise income. Might also be worth claiming benefits as lots go unclaimed. I found I spent loads on magazines and newspapers so tried to cut down on these. Also turning down heating is good, or heating one room only and staying in it

also turn off all electrical equipment if you are not using it and get energy saving bulbs. And if you can stand it, only one bath a week, and have washes of other parts twice daily

Mole

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to reply, it´s made a huge difference to how I´m feeling. I know it sounds silly but when I posted I kind of saw the cancer and the debt as one great big unhelpable problem, but in seeing your replies and seeing people distinguish between debt problems and cancer-related issues, it helped me to break down the problem and my feelings and I think that in itself really helped me in a way I hadn´t expected. Looking through the debt advice I realised there are options that she can do without my going home, which means I feel I can stay here now and carry on studying, and support her more when I go home. It isn´t easy, being so far away and wanting to help, but at least I feel now I can carry on with things the best I can for now, and do what I can to help from afar. Thank you to everyone for helping me make sense of all this and for all your advice.

Best Wishes to everyone.

Harriet