Worrying all over again!

I was diagnosed this time last year with BC & am due my first mammogram after treatment in April. During the last few weeks I’ve been having pains in my right breast similar to the ones I had in my left when I was diagnosed. I can’t feel a lump but I was so worried on Friday that I rang the BC nurse where I was treated & they are going to bring my mammogram forward as a precaution. I don’t want to tell anyone about this in case it’s a false alarm but I’m struggling with the feeling that I might have to go through it all again & I don’t think I have the energy to do it all again so soon after finishing treatment & getting my life back on track - sort of - as I feel the fear of it returning never goes away. Could do with some supportive words from you lovely ladies on the forum who will understand how I feel. Anita xx

Hi Anita

just wanted to let you know you’re not alone. I too was diagnosed last April and have had every treatment available since, finishing radio just before Christmas. I was devastated to find a lump in my remaining breast ten days ago. Couldn’t imagine how it could be possible for anything to grow through all the treatment but worked myself up into a frenzy regardless. Was very pleased to be fitted into see surgeon day after I called my BCN. He immediately put my mind at rest when he said the lump feels like a breast tissue lump before he arranged for an ultrasound there and then. This confirmed that it was nothing to worry about. I can’t tell you my relief! So impressed at such brilliant NHS service. Hope your concerns are soon allayed too. It is awful not knowing and fearing the worst. 

It has rattled me, as I was feeling really positive, like I was getting back to normal. I guess my new normal is hyper vigilance and background worry that will never go away. I am hoping it will recede as the months and years pass. A reminder to make the most of life!