cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst day :( BC diagnosis

33 REPLIES 33
MarthasSOS

Re: Worst day :( BC diagnosis

Loving the new hair Caroline - I'm going to be getting mine cut soon too as my hair is a lot longer than it it in my profile pic 😉
Now you have your date, you can go on holiday, relax and have a blow out before the big day.

Take care
martha xx
Carolina33

Well my lovely BC Macmillan nurse called me tonight. I have a date for mx 4 June! Omg ! So fast. But let's do this. bring it on xx
Guest user
Not applicable

FAB HAIRCUT! Gorgeous.
Morwenna

Cute hair by the way! It'll be great for your holiday! 🙂
poemsgalore

Caroline, I have sent you a message.

PG xxx
Melrose15

Hi there and sorry you find yourself here
I want to reassure you that once you have date for your op you will feel more in control. I had a mx and anc (all lymph nodes removed) on 17th April. I had 5 breast tumours but the initial lump I found was in my armpit. I often ask myself how I didn't notice 'five' lumps in my breast! My surgeon said 'We don't look back, only to the future as that's where we want to be'. I've taken his advice and am focusing on fighting this beast! As far as I am concerned it has all been removed and the rest of my treatment is preventative.
I believe there is a fb group for young women with BC which I'm sure someone will guide towards. Theres also threads for younger women on here.
I started a thread asking for advice before I had my mx and got lots of tips from some the lovely ladies who themselves had been through the op. Its titled- 'mastectomy on 17/4 - what are your words of wisdom'
Feel free to pm me if you want to chat.
Enjoy your holiday :))
emma xx
Carolina33

I had my hair cut off short today. I've changed my profile pic. I told my hairdresser that I wanted it and told her I'd be having chemo soon and she was lovely xx
loads of love to everyone. I'm reading it all I need a PA haha my phone is going mad and I feel overwhelmed xx
mandyp

Sending you hugs. This is a rollercoaster, but you will get through it. Sounds like you've got a great surgeon who is keen to get on with it. I had mx back in oct and have finished chemo and rads. I was offered chemo first but i wanted it gone. it was grade 3 and measuring 5 cms so they felt too big for lumpectomy. as it happens was only 26mm when removed. It's a tough ride both physically and emotionally and you are young and dont deserve it (no one does) but you have no option but to fight. Good luck and lots of love. Rest, eat well and pamper yourself. x
Guest user
Not applicable

ps sorry about repeating myself its this silly machine ha ha
Guest user
Not applicable

Well Caroline I am an older lady and like you felt dreadful when first found that I found out about all this I had all the test and scans done then the results my lymph nodes came back clear but they still wanted to do a MX as the mass was quite large So I braced myself and conditioned my mind that if it had to be done and get rid of the thing then so be it I went in on the Wed and was home the next day I have have had very little pain and not a lot of fluid So please don't be scared just condition yourself to the op and you will be fine If someone my age can come through it then I am sure you can be brave it will pay off in the long run good luck
Ha ha yesterday I got my new boob and it did make me laugh I told the lady I couldn't wear that it was too heavy she said well the one they took away was heavy I have found it quite comfortable so far and don't even know its there
All the best to you chin up girl and have a great party on your hols
xxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi carolina33
stay strong, I am 47 and was dx on the 28 march, a date I won't forget.

i am still trying to get my head around all the wording but I'm sure we will pick this up quickly in time.
i am having my op on Monday and am very anxious remember the brain is a powerful tool and can lead you to horrid tthoughts but it also has the ability to bounce back, I know that seems like a long way off but I joined a breast support group and that has helped me as I now have ladies that I can talk to and have coffee!!!!

enjoy your holiday and and few drinks!!!!

big hugs Telxxxxxx
Carolina33

Pretty sure I only have one tumour lump not very big either but still have to have mx . Not overly sure why but to be honest I want them both off I I'm wondering if she would consider it. X feeling like I've been hit with a sledgehammer today hangover!
oh and getting a frankie Sanford haircut today! 🙂

lots of love ladies xxx
Lucy_BCC

Hi Carolina

In addition to the support here don't forget that you are welcome to call our helpline team to talk over any queries or concerns on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturday

I am posting a link to the BCC 'Younger women's' page where you will find lots more support ideas, publications and information which you may find helpful at the moment:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=younger_women

Take care

Lucy

Meggy_moo

Hi Caroline,so sorry to read about your dx.Please don't beat yourself up about not going sooner,I went to the doctor when I found my lump and my tumour was 35mm and grade 3.Try and think of the positive it has been found and there are treatments available and you will get plenty support from the ladies on here who are going through or have been through the same.I'm glad you are getting to go on holiday it beats sitting in the house dwelling on it. Take care meggy x
Morwenna

So sorry Caroline, to read your news. 😞
I know you'll be shocked and scared, but hardly more than you were when you didn't know and were imagining the worst anyway.

I suspect you are having the mastectomy as you have several lumps? Or am I misremembering? I had a mastectomy as a second surgery, as the lumpectomy didn't get it all in my case. They will probably take a whole bunch of lymph nodes too and examine them all for signs of cancer. Then they can tell you exactly how many are involved, and some more detailed pathology.

The CT is normal at this stage, or after surgery, to look for any further spread, ie metastases or secondaries. Here's everything crossed that comes back clear. They may also do a bone scan for the same reason, and a MUGA heart scan to check your heart is healthy prior to chemotherapy.

I also have a female surgeon, oncologist and radiation oncologist. I have just been to a breast cancer supportive care centre to help me through some mental stuff, and spent an hour with another lovely lady doctor! My hematologist is a guy, but he's ok too! 😉

I am so pleased to hear you are going on your holiday and going to be with friends! You might not be as carefree as if you had not had this sucky news, but it beats the heck out of sitting at home on your own, waiting for something to happen!!!

Keep in contact. We're all in this together now. It's a white-knuckle rollercoaster of a ride for sure. But there's ups as well as downs on a rollercoaster you know! It's when it turns you upside down you have to hang onto your hat!!! 😉

Big hug sweetie xxx
Border_Collies

Hi Carolina
I could not let your post go without a comment as you are obviously deeply in shock at present and feel like your world is tumbling down around you.
I felt just like you when diagnosed although I didn't have to have a mx but once your treatment plan is sorted you will get through this and out the other end like the rest of us on this forum. I too have a lovely young female surgeon and a female oncologist and somehow I feel they can empathise with us more than men. Go and enjoy your holiday and good luck with your treatment.
Wattie

Hello carolina
I could not just read about your news withouth making a comment.
first of all I want to say how sorry I am for your diagnosis today, I know you feel that your world is tumbling down at the moment but believe me it will get better. You sound a strong person and you will get over this.
I felt that as soon as I was diagnosed that I could not wait to get my LF, as I called it, out of me. I had node involvement too that's why I am having chemo. You will manage chemo, and then radiotherapy, and I am Her2 + so am having herceptin and hormone treatment, and glad as I want to throw everything at this.
When you get your treatment plan you will feel more in control, enjoy your holiday and have a great time, rest and party and get your strength together for your battle ahead, that you will win.
love and hugs Karen xx
Lola65

Hi Carolina,

On the contrary, it is more common to have surgery before chemo. Sometimes the chemo comes first if the surgeon feels it would be better to try and shrink the tumour with chemo before removing it.

Good luck xxx
Carolina33

Is it rare to have mastec first then chemo? Xx
thanks ladies for your support xx
marleypop

Hi Carolina
Sorry to hear your news, your not alone...I too am grade 3 with lymph node invovlement, they say my lump is large about 5cm approx. Still getting to grips with it all.
Start Chemo first on Tuesday 21st May........been having a lot of restless nights, my mind has gone into overdrive at times, but as Mal says, let the fight begin.
Enjoy your break, tis good to have fun and relax x x x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi
So sorry you've had this dx but be re-assured that there are plenty of us who were dx grade 3 with multiple nodes involved, and are doing just fine.
It's a terrifying time when you're first dx and waiting for results etc but it does get better once you're undergoing treatment (you feel as though you're fighting back).
Good luck
Mal
Carolina33

My consultant was lovely and so was the nurse. I felt they had genuine empathy. My consultant Caroline same name 🙂 is also my surgeon . She's amazing. I feel good having a woman doing everything for me . Empowering. I'm going on holiday Tuesday and Im single so joked with my friend I need to have some fun 🙂 before I lose my looks . Anything to make us laugh. I'm 33 but feel and act about 25!!

thanks ladies. The support here is immense
Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Carolina what a nightmare for you. It will feel awful for a while but before you know it you'll be getting through your treatment, not always with a smile on your face perhaps, but it won't feel as bad as today. I'm guessing you feel like you've been hit by a truck. I don't wish to be intrusive but you look like you might be relatively young, if you are under 45 there is a great forum on Facebook called younger breast cancer network, there are lots of women on there in a similar position to you, with lots of great advice (just like here, too). Thinking of you xxx
Katykookabura

Hi Carolina, sorry to hear your news. As the others have said do talk to the nurses. Your breast care nurse should phone you mine did the day after I found out. Otherwise call nurses on this website.
The shock will make you feel terrible so try and get someone close to you to help you tell others you won't to know. Do it in stages as what I found and others also I have read about on the blogs say is telling others was the most emotionally draining thing to do.
As Martha says write things down and take someone with you when you go for appointments as you will only hear half of it as you will still be in shock.
This website I found reall helpful and supportive . Take care of yourself even if that means being selfish for awhile. Best wishes, Katy.
Irenee

Dear Caroline
My dx was similar to yours execpt I tested negative. I had to have a scan but was told most ladies come back clear . I have finished chemo and it is all frightning for a start but once you have a plan of treatment you will relax. I used to beat myself up for not going earlier but you will get past this, You are doing the right thing now.
The ladies on here will help you through and chemo is duable. Sending hugs Irenee xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Caroline
I am so so sorry that today you've been dx. I have no idea how you are feeling, as not had my initial appointment yet. But I couldn't read your sad news without writing something. I am so upset for you. Please take all the support from these lovely ladies who went through the same emotions when they got diagnosed. They are so positive and these are the people you need around you to help you every step of the way. Remember the helpline too.
Big big cyber hugs.
D xxxxxx
Jan_mints

Dont want to read and run. Sending you a hug and to let you know, we are all here for you.

Make sure you talk to your breast care nurses, they are amazing.

take care
Jan x
MarthasSOS

Not necessarily - It could just mean that the cells in the nodes have started to turn. I would make up a list of questions to ask and then give your bcn a call in the morning.

Yes, being positive is a good sign 😉 I had no symptoms at all and I hadn't done my checks for around a year. I beat myself up over that, but it isnt worth it. You have to look at the positive. You've caught it now and it is being fixed.

After your mx, you will have a fuller picture of everything. I don't know about the flap thing, but there is a thread for mx's which I think you should take a look through.

Remember, try to stay positive sweetie - Your doing something about it now and it's getting fixed.

Take care
Martha xx
Carolina33

Oh yeah pre op then surgery in about 3-4 weeks x
Carolina33

They said its in the nodes don't know how many but want to do the mastectomy first. I guess that means its quite invasive and serious. I don't mind about losing a breast sh did say she could leave a flap and put in temporary implant but that I'd have to wait up to a year for recon. I guess this is a fairly bad outcome , annoyed with myself for not going earlier with the itchy nipple I've had for 2 years. That was my warning damn.
Thsnks Martha xx is it a good thing it being eastrogerogen positive ? X
daisy987

Hi....
Really sorry to hear your news, Ive just been diagnosed but not in my nodes. I thought as it was just a lump I wouldnt need Chemo but I do and Im gutted.
Youll get through this, keep positive. I know its difficult. Make a list of questions you need to ask and ring the helpline or your M nurse. I found it a great help.
Lots of love
Angie xxx
MarthasSOS

Hey Caroline

Bless you sweetie, I am so sorry to hear about your dx.

There are lots of ladies here that have had a mx and recon also - I am sure one of them will be along soon and will be in a better position to give you advise.

Have you been given any dates yet? When you say invasive in nodes, can you remember what your onc told you about the nodes?

Sorry babe, I'm asking you lots of questions and your probably numb right now. Just remember that when you have the mx, and they remove your nodes, they are also removing all the nasties from you, so please bear that in mind.

Also give the helpline a call. I have found them an amazing help. PM me if you need anything.

Lots of love & squishy cyber hugs,
Martha xxxx
Carolina33

Is anyone about xx
Carolina33

Worst day :( BC diagnosis

Diagnosed grade 3. Invasive in nodes. Been there a while. In shock. Need mastectomy then chemo then possibly rads then tablets as eastrogen positive. having CT scan now. I can't believe it.