Young and chemo

Hi,

I’m 37 years old. I was diagnosed with IDC grade 1, 7mm lump, ER8/8,PR8/8, her2 -, ki67 5%. I had MRI and it seems like nothing else is going on. I’ve got lumpectomy scheduled in 2 weeks and been told radio for 3 weeks and then we’ll see. Is there any chance I can avoide chemo? 

Hi Naza ,yes with those stats there is a good chance you will avoid chemo but everyone’s circumstances are different Fingers crossed for you !!!

Naza I have 35mm invasive ilump grade 2 will have lumpectomy and rads and at the moment no chemo scheduled and consultant said shouldn’t need it so fingers crossed for us xxx

They will assess you and there are 3 possibilities. You don’t need chemo, you are borderline or you definitely need chemo.

If you don’t need it they will not even mention it.

If you are borderline then you get an appointment with an oncologist and they take you through all of your stats and leave it to you to decide. You don’t have to make your mind up there and then. You can think about it for a few days.

Then there is the one where they recommended it. You can still say no to it but honestly chemo is not as dreadful as the fear of it is!!

If you are worried about your hair you can use a cold cap. I did and I kept lots of hair.

The will not give you treatment if they don’t think it is beneficial to you.