Young and scared

Hey everyone,
I’m Chelsea and I’m 23.
I noticed a lump in my right breast in February, I was monitoring it to see if it grew/went down/ become sore assuring my menstral cycle or there’d afterwards. It never. It has, however, grown in size. It is not sore at all and very hard and doesn’t move.

I went to the GP last thursday afternoon and he checked and referred me to the breast clinic! I recieved an appointment for this Friday. The last few days I have had bleeding from my nipple on my right breast, also felt a small hard lump in my right armpit. I went to gp today (see a different doctor) who examined my nipple and said he could see no sign of infection etc. He felt for the new lump in my arm pit and straight away said that he could feel ‘a few’ there. (I have to admit I have never checked my armpits before this. He also rely my breast and said that he could feel 2 in there.
He just told me to make sure I attend the appointment and ‘hopefully’ every thing will be ok and wished me luck.
i do have a family history of breast cancer, and also last year had pre cancerous cells removed from my cervix.

I am just really nervous and scared now, but glad that my appointment has happened quickly. Who has been to one of these breast clinics? Do you know how long you are there? If they do all the tests no matter what? Or if ultrasound is ok do they not bother with mammogram etc?

i would just like to know what to expect.

thank you x

Hi Chelseaob and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support and shared experiences you will soon have here please feel free to call our helpliers, lines are open 9-5 during the week and 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 and our team are here for yout to talk through your concerns and share your fears

I am posting a link to the BCC ‘Worried about breast cancer’ page, here you will find information and a publication about what to expect at your appointment at the breast clinic which I hope you will find useful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm\_source=promo\_content&%3Butm\_medium=help\_you&%3Butm\_campaign=worried

Take care

Lucy

Hi Chelsea, sorry to hear you’re in this situation too. I too am 23 and also have my appointment for this friday. I’ve been told it will be an ultrasound due to my age as apparently mammograms aren’t recommended in younger women due to breast density (?) Don’t quote me on that though I’m sure someone will be able to give you a better reply soon!
Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

So sorry you are having this worry!

There are two types of mammogram so far as I am aware. One is a screening mammogram, and the other a diagnostic mammogram which gives more information., which here they do if you present with clinical signs, eg lump.

I also believe that ultrasound gives a clearer picture than either though, so they may not bother with the diagnostic mammogram.

Whatever the outcome, and I hope its as good as it can be, do please come back and tell us, and there is a loaf of information and support on this site to be had!

Hugs to you xxx