Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Younger women forum Leeds

32 REPLIES 32
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Younger women forum Leeds

Just another quick note from me I spoke to Emma the organiser for the event this afternoon and there are currently about 23 booked on with space for 30 but the spaces are getting booked up quickly now. I too went to the intro day at the haven and it was brilliant the Haven is such a wonderful place. I would also recommend the look good feel great day held at the Robert Ogden Centre at St James (another great centre). This is really popular and have about a 2-3 month waiting list. You get a full bag of great makeup and beauty products (worth about £300) and shown how to apply it was amazing.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies, I am not new to this site but not posted on it for a long time now since I was diagnosed on the 7th Jan 2011. I have now finished all my treatment and I am going to the Forum. Look forward to meting you all. I am 33 and live in Leeds and like everyone else its good to know that I am not the only one because it so feels like it. Those ladies from Leeds are you staying over in the Queens. I am going to ( I think ). Wishing you all the best with your treatment.

Hi little Meg

you can find your message on page 2 of this thread

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi again everyone,

Sorry it's been a while. I sent my application form for Leeds off and have been accepted onto it too. I'm sure I put a message on here, but just noticed it's not there??

Anyway, I'm travelling from Nottingham. There isn't a nearer one for me. Anyone else from Nottingham?

Guest user
Not applicable

So far am going ok had 11/20 saw onc yesterday seemed fairly pleased with it. I'm finding it mentally hard though had a hellish weekend which ended in me phoning breast cancer care at bang on 9 on Mon morning. Skin not broken yet getting a bit red though now.
hope your skin improves my friends skin broke towards the end and she got some special dressings with silver in to help speed up the healing process maybe you could try to get some?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Butterfly

I am going - I am from Leeds
Lucy

Guest user
Not applicable

Butterfly83 - just wondered how you were getting on with your rads? I finished a week ago, got sore towards the end but was I was not really prepared for how sore it has been afterwards, ( worst bit for me is under the arm) they did tell me a bit briefly after my last session but then they kind of just leave you to get on with it even though after its finished is when you need more support, my next review with the radiotherapy consultant is February, areas of my skin have started to break down now and I have had to get some special cream to put on them, I have also felt a lot more tired than I did while I was having the treatment but I think for me its the combination of lots of treatments finally just wearing me down and I don't have any reserves, I am sure maybe in a few weeks my skin will pick up.

Guest user
Not applicable

Jelly B- haven't started yet! Hopefully starting on Tuesday. How have you found it? Know what you mean about feeling low about your body!
Hinchy- how are you feeling? It's a massive shock I know. Have u found out what treatment your having yet?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Butterfly83 and Hinchy,

Butterfly83 - how are your rads going?, I am on week 3 now, I don't feel comfortable enough to wear a bra and am feeling very low about my body shape at the minute. Yes, we could meet up before the forum, I am not used to how things work on here so not sure how I go about passing on my email to you.

Hinchy - I am so sorry that you have been diagnosed with bc, those first few weeks waiting for the diagnosis, having all the tests and all those feelings is such an anxious and scary time, do you know what your treatment plan is now? I think it would be good if you could make the forum in Jan, I wish I had met others of a similar age at your stage but yes I totally understand - you will have to see how you are feeling and where you are in your treatment plan, there is a strong chance if you need chemo that you wont feel up to it, I know I probably wouldn't have but everyone is different and it may be just what you need at that time. Maybe you would like to meet up too?

Hi Butterfly83 and JellyB. I have just been diagnosed and I am waiting for my treatment plan. Im 35 and have 2 young kids. Finding the whole thing very very scary and really come do with contacting people in a similar situation. I am in Sheffield too.
Just want to get on with my treatment.
Thinking about going to the forum but will have to see where I am with my treatment in jan

H x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi JellyB just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.
I'm from the other side of Hudds near Sheff/Barnsley. It is isolating havin breast cancer so young. I went for my planning meeting for rads today and the 3 women that did it were about the same age as me which made me upset and angry that I have to go through it at my age. Anyways what I wanted to say was it'll be good to meet up with others in a similar situation. Maybe we could have a meet up before the forum? Take care
V x

Guest user
Not applicable

Wanted to join in and say I am going too!, this is first time I have posted. I signed up for the Forum in Leeds January 2012. I am from Sheffield and there is nothing in my area so this is the nearest one for me. I think it will be really good to meet other younger ladies in a similar situation as so far, apart from reading about others online - I have not met anyone. I too am a little nervous though.

I am 31, i was diagnosed last March, finished Fec-T chemo in August, had R mx and lymph node clearance beg of September and just in to me second week of rads. I am on Tamoxifen and also Herceptin until June 2012.

Really, I was in a bad place before diagnosis as 6 months previous I lost my my baby daughter (stillbirth at 37 weeks - she was beautiful!), so having lost my daughter I am now facing issues about the possibility of ever having children -this is the worst part for me.

Take care everyone, x

Guest user
Not applicable

Test

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

Just wanted to advocate how fantastic the Younger Womens Forums are. I went to one in Manchester in May and it was brilliant! The info was great but the opportunity to meet and make new friends is invaluable. All of us who went along to Manchesters have stayed in touch and have since been out a few times.

Can't recommend these events enough - its the best non-medical support you'll ever get (in my experience).

All the best.

Deb x

Hi butterfly - I'm on the hormone treatment and so far finding it ok. Been taking it nearly a month and I think the only thing I'm experiencing is hot flushes. I was expecting severe mood swings etc but seem to be ok.. Maybe that is still to come! The hot flushes are manageable, mainly affect me at night though am starting to get some during the day as well. The haven do an ear acupuncture group which is supposed to be really good for hot flushes so I'm thinking of giving that a try.

Cupcake queen - have you started your chemo yet? Do you know which drugs you're having? I've finished mine now so am at the other end of things but I had shiatsu at the haven, which I'd never heard of! But it helped me with some of the side effects.

Anyone reading this would think we're on commission from the haven! Haha!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi butterfly-I have already been on the haven intro day(I just went by myself and met some nice people). It's really good-it's a general one but they do have a young women's group which I will start going to in January (full til then). Glad you have more info about your treatment-I have asked so many questions about mine and a friend said to me to always be happy (or understand!) what is being proposed rather than imposed on you.

I'm not having the hormone treatment just chemo as triple negative-but may get some some from the fertility preservation treatment I am having in advance if the chemo and am a bit worried about that too. I think there are ways to ease it eg relaxation, homeopathy etc. But we can get through it together! x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya cupcake queen- you're right about not worrying I rang my breast care nurse yesterday because I got a phone call from my GP asking me to come in for an app so was really worried so rang her she said they just want to talk about what happened an don't know anything I don't. Anyway also asked her about me not havin chemo and u were right she explained why I wasn't having it and feel happier about that now.

Am gonna ring the haven today to book in for an intro day. Did you go to a special younger women intro day or just a standard intro day?

How is everyone finding the hormone treatment? I'm a bit worried about the menopausal side effects from that!

Am up for meeting before the forum am going to take a deep breath and fill in my form today! The one thing I'm hoping cancer makes me is more confident!
Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

All-I would be happy to meet up beforehand if that would be helpful. At the haven might be good to intro those of you who haven't been yet? Have sent in my booking form for the forum tonight x

Hello all
I'd just like to re-iterate what Cupcakequeen said about the haven in Leeds - ive been going for a few months and as well as helping me with side effects with complementary therapies, it's just a lovely place to go. Everybody is so friendly and welcoming and I find that whenever I'm there I forget about everything that's happening to me - it's well worth a visit! And like cupcakequeen said, it's helped me realise how strong and positive I can be and above all else it's just nice to meet others outside of the hospital who are going through the same.

Butterfly83 - I've had surgery in April (lumpectomy), chemotherapy and almost finished radiotherapy. Also have to carry on with herceptin and tamoxifen. I hope you find your radiotherapy ok, all the staff I've met at st James are really nice and friendly which makes it so much easier when you have to go everyday!

Little Meg - I'm going to book onto the forum tomorrow, Im not sure how many people they have booked on but I'm also feeling a little emotional and nervous about it so would be keen to meet some others beforehand so it's not so daunting!

Hi everyone,

It's nice to find so many friendly people on here. I'm also booked onto the Leeds 2 day forum in January. I'm in Nottingham and was diagnosed in October last year - coming up to the first anniversary of finding my lump in fact!

I was diagnosed when I was 38. I'm now 39am married but have no children. I've had the following: Chemo Therapy, then mastectomy with tissue expander and delayed recon, then Radio Therapy and am now on Hormone Therapy x3 and have a PICC Line.

I've had a lot of serious additional complications too since diagnosis. I'm looking forward to the forum, but am already feeling quite anxious and emotional about going and meeting people. It's good to hear others are nervous too. I know we'll all get a lot out of the event and maybe even make some new friends in the process.

I'd be glad to meet up with others on the day as well, to save doing it alone. Just let me know.

Rebecca x

Guest user
Not applicable

Butterfly - I know it seems scary but it's worth being strong and the people at The Haven are really nice. You get a one on one consultation with the manager (ex breast cancer nurse) who recommends treatments tailored to you. I am going tomorrow for reflexology.... I would be happy to meet you there if you really don't want to go alone? They also do an intro day where you can see what they have on offer. It's definitely worth going. I have found it has shown me how strong and positive I really am which is a surprise to me! I have also learned that treatment is so specific to you - I wouldn't worry that you are not having the same treatment as others. I was recommended to have chemo (i don't think anyone would chose it!) and having it at home was my choice. It's important that you understand everything about your treatment and do what's right for you e.g. I was told to have a mastectomy by some professionals but my surgeon recommended additional shave which worked and now I am cancer-free.

Hannah - it IS good to know there are others in a similar situation and in our age group as we probably have different issues/ questions to others. You may also like to look at The Haven - they have a good website.

Lizzy - be good to see you over the pennines! Have you had your treatments yet?

I am going to book onto the Leeds forum in January.

I'm over near Manchester but I don't think they do this forum in my area so I think I will come along to the Leeds one
Lizzy

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya Hannah. Yeah your right it is nice to know your not the only one. Have you had your treatment/s? Have you booked the forums yet? Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Cupcake queen I had my surgery 3 weeks ago had lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy still feelin sore. Did u have to choose whether to have chemo or just where to have it? I'm a bit worried cos everyone who's my age with the same grade and stage cancer had to have chemo and I'm not. I've heard about the haven my friend who's in her forties went yesterday am hopin to go but am a bit nervous about it to be honest.
When are you having your radiotherapy? Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Butterfly 83 glad it's moving quickly for you. It's been very quick for me too but have had time to make my decision re chemo. Have you also had surgery? I am having chemo at home then radiotherapy at Jimmys. Have you been to Breast Cancer Haven in Leeds? I have been going for a few weeks and it's a great support centre and has complementary therapies. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Cupcake I'm in huddersfield... Are you goin to jimmys for chemo? I'm goin there for my radiotherapy. I was diagnosed at the start of sept so been really quick am so greatful for that xx

Hello to both of you, I'm also new to the site and in Leeds. I'm 25 and def gonna go to the forums in January. Good to know there's people around that are similar age to me - i feel like the only one!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks all - will take a look at the info. Butterfly 83- I was diagnosed in August and have had 2 operations (lumpectomy and medial shave) and due to start chemo soon. I am in Leeds. What about you? x

Guest user
Not applicable

Yeah I got the information on it thank you for it think I'm def gonna go. It looks like I might get to meet a lot of people in a similar situation to me , which is good as sometimes feel like I'm the only one! Cupcake queen when were u diagnosed? Are u from Leeds? Xx

Hello

I have attched a copy of the programme for the Younger Women's Forum in Leeds, please don't hesitate in contacting us if you would like a registration form or have any quesions or queries by either calling 0845 077 1893 or emailing

Best wishes
Steph

Thank you for your kind comments Sandytoes.

Guest user
Not applicable

Just wanted to say that I went on the June one darn sarf in London. It was excellent. Not only were all of the seminars really helpful and interesting, but meeting so many girls in the same situation, worrying about the same things was really carthartic. I also met a few girls that I am in regular contact with and a couple I meet up with weekly.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Butterfly83 I am also new to this - just registered on here today. I'm not aware of the Leeds younger women forum and would like to find out more. Do you have info you could share with me? I am 33.

Guest user
Not applicable

Younger women forum Leeds

Hi just wondered if anyone on here will be going to this? Am new to all this and would really appreciate anyone in my area getting in touch xx