71155members
373871posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZOLADEX 10.8mg implant...is anyone taking this long term ?

5 REPLIES 5
Seajen

Re: ZOLADEX 10.8mg implant...is anyone taking this long term ?

I have been on Zoladex since 1997 and apart from an 18 month break on 2004 I am still on it now. Once I was use to it in 97' I switched to the 3 month dose and have had no problems. Back in 97 (age 36) they said as my hormones would be severely reduced over a long period of time that I must make sure I keep up calcuim in my diet. I was given a bone density test in 97 and I am due another in 2010. I have to admit always having a local, my GP is very understanding about this. I had it once without - never never again! I am probably a wimp but we have to put up with enough needles as it is. Compared to all the other drugs this one for me is easy. Goodluck

teacup

hi there. I have been on the 3 monthly implants since June '07. A few mild hot flushes but fine otherwise. i've had some vaginal dryness but that's ok now too. as far as i know, the three monthly implant is approved for bc. i think in an older thread here, this was discussed too.

Flowernbee

Hi everyone,

good to know that other people are getting Zoladex as well as I have never heard of Zoladex until I was presribed it in March. Diagnosed with BC in August 07, had 6 FEC(Chemo), mastectomy and full lymph nodes cleareance in Feb 08 and now getting monthly injections of Zoladex as well as a daily tablet of Femara. I have not been told how long I will be getting the injection but I know that I will have my ovaries remove after finishing my radiotherapy..

princess18

Hi ladies,

I will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest. I have so far had 3, monthly Zoladex implants. My onc has advised my gp that he now wants me to switch to 3 monthly implants. I am due my first 3 monthly one in a couple of weeks!

Kelly
-x-

debbi

Hi elliemay,I have the 3 monthly injection,been having it for nearly 2 years and they said I will be on it for 5 years,but I am opting to have my ovaries out,I am 39 and now I have gone through menopause do not want to go through it again in 3 more years when everything will start working again.I too queried the man situation,it is used for prostate cancer in men but I think it is getting to be more commonly used in women over the last couple o years and as it must be a fairly new to women maybe this is why it is not on the info.side effects mainly r hot flushes,ur low sex drive might be to do with everything u r going through.If u r a bit down that can affect ur sex life you know.I will have to go now my friend has just turned up but if u want anything else just ask x

Elliemay

ZOLADEX 10.8mg implant...is anyone taking this long term ?

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in march 2007 andhave had chemotherapy, lumpectomy and lymph node clearance and radiotherapy. I am 40 years old and for the next five years i will be taking arimidex and having a zoladex implant. I have been receiving these for the past 8 months; however i have now just had the 3monthly implant of zoladex for the first time. I have had some really undesirable side affects that i didnt really have with the one monthly implant. After comparing the info sheet about the 2 implants; the 3monthly implant says only to be used by men and NOT women! After a few phonecalls i have been 'half' reassured that im ok, but i would love to hear from any other women that are having the 3monthly implant and how it is affecting them? I feel great that i have finally come through all of these awful treatments and have lots to look forward to (inc. a month in florida in may/june) but somehow i just feel fed up and annoyed most of the time...and worse still i have lost my sex drive; which used to be very high..and even though my husband is a very caring and patient man i still feel angry and guilty that i dont feel like the woman i was before cancer. PLEASE HELP!!