cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoladex injections

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Zoladex injections

Perhaps I’m odd, but I’ve started giving myself the Zoladex injections and it’s been fine!

ive been on Zoladex for four months now and had my first two GP based nurse appointments cancelled with the GP receptionist just saying ‘we can book you next week instead’. Hardly helpful for a time critical injection. I ended up asking the oncologist to arrange for the chemo nurses to do it instead - ended up being hugely stressful as I called around to find someone to do the injection. So I spoke to my oncologist and she said she was happy for me to do the injection myself. I turned up to my third nurse appointment (which wasn’t cancelled) and asked her to let me do the injection with her guidance which we did. I’ve now done the fourth myself. 

It it wasn’t painful with the Emla cream applied in advance and far less stress doing it in my own home. There are YouTube videos which show you how to do it too!

Highlighted

Hi Em,  I've been on them for 8 years and agree that doing them yourself is probably not a good idea.  The needle IS HUGE.....and has to go in at a certain angle to get it in the fat under the skin.

After all this time I don't have the area numbed first, but then I think I have skin of leather on my stomach now!

I too have had periods where I've had to self inject blood thinners and I wouldn't ever want to get involved with such a big needle.

Good luck with it all 🙂

Wendy

Highlighted

Hi Em, I've been having zoladex since December 2014.  I cannot imagine ever giving myself these injections, the needle is huge and the injection is very painful.  The practice nurse who does mine has a spray to numb the area before I have my injection.  

I have aver recently finished giving myself daily injections of heparin for 6 months and they were bad enough, zoladex would defo be a no go.

Highlighted

Hi Emily

I am sorry that you have not had a response to this as yet, hopefully this will bump it up so that others see it.  If you have any concerns or questions, please do give our Support line a call, 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

Highlighted

Zoladex injections

Hi

Just wondered if anyone does their injections themselves? Has anyone asked about doing them themselves?

Thanks for any experiences.

Emxx