cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoladex v Oophorectomy

5 REPLIES 5
owls4eva

Re: Zoladex v Oophorectomy

Thank you for your comments it has certainly given me something to think about, I will ring tommorow and have a chat but I think that I will stick with the Zoladex injections for the next 6 months and then have another think. Its coming up to the 1 year mark of dx and maybe I need to pass that point first.

Shonaugh thanks for your email will reply soon.

Thanks again I dont know how any of us any manage without this site.

Love and hugs

Karen

custard

Hi Karen,

I have just popped in again (posted last week about a bone scan...long story I will e mail you) I know what you mean about having more surgery but I too am having zoladex and am in the middle of requesting an oopherectomy. I just cant bear the thought that after two years of zoladex I will start with the periods again and then still have to go through the whole menopause thing again....the hot flushes are driving me crazy!!!!. I am hoping to have mine in April so that I wont have any problems with work and being paid (not that they were funny in the first place but dont want to look like I'm taking the Micky).

I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you. Off to buy carpet for the bedroom now. I will e mail you I promise, Oh and thank you for the last funny e mail it came at just the right time and made me laugh out loud for the first time in ages.

Love Shonagh xx

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Karen

The difference is that Zoladex makes your brain think it's producing too much oestrogen so it sends a message to your ovaries to stop (it works on your pituitary gland) therefore you go into a temporary menopause whilst you're on it. This is seen as very effective treatment for pre menopausal women who are ER+ It is also reversible as when the injections stop your periods should come back unless you were really close to going into your natural menopause anyway. I had these injections for 2 years when I was 41 and my periods did come back. The removal of your ovaries is obviously irriversible and has the same effect. As Grace says it's a matter of if you want a permanent removal of oestrogen or just temporary. If you have Zoladex for 2 years you can always have the op after then if you want. This may be easier to deal with (ie another operation) the further away you are from your initial BC surgery. The other way to 'get rid' of your ovaries is radiotherapy ablation where a few blasts of radiotherapy are given to the area (not a whole course like 'normal' rads) but this isn't done as often as an operation.

Hope this helps but I think it's definitely worth discussing further and not being rushed into an op if you're unsure as once it's done it's done!

Nicky

debbi

I am supposed to be having this op too,but for now have asked to continue with the zoladex as I dont like the sound of the long term effects of losing your ovaries.I am only 40,would like to feel normal for a bit in 3 yrs when stop having it,been having it just over 2 now,but when I spoke to the surgeon he basically said unless its absolutely neccessary its better at my age to keep them,the change of heart also comes with being told I may not be as at higher risk as they first thought at initial dx so I think its one less op and like I said ,to feel normal,whatever normal is,I have forgot,in 3 yrs time. I think if you have not discussed this properly with anyone you should do,as soon as you can,because right up to my app with that surgeon I was adamant I was having it done,now I am not so sure.............................

gracet

I started with Zoladex but got really fed up with traipsing to the GP every month for the injection. I went for a laparoscopic oopherectomy about 18 months ago. I was in and out the same day and it took about 3 weeks to feel 'right' again but there was minimal discomfort as long as you don't overdue it. The discomfort is from the laparoscopy instruments and sore muscles etc. I was really glad afterwards as going to the GP every month for Zoladex just kept reminding me of the BC. Don't feel any different afterwards but I'm happy knowing theres less chemicals going in, if you see what I mean!

Good luck with your decision.

Grace

owls4eva

Zoladex v Oophorectomy

Hi Ladies

I would be grateful for your advice after going through wle dec 07, mast jan 08 chemo and rads. My dx was

pT2 pN0 (0/14) M0 grade III ER+ HER2- IDC

I have been taking Tam since June and at my last appt in Sept with Onc have been having monthly Zoladex injections and queried why I had not been having Zoladex before.

Before my chemo started my periods were so heavy that I was taking transamic acid tabs to stop them and under the gynea.

Yesterday I had a phone call to say that I was booked in for Oophorectomy on 11 November.

My question is what is the difference between being on the Zoladex and having the op? I really cant face anymore surgery at the moment unless absolutely necessary.

I have also recently returned to work be it part time and feel that Im just starting to get some order back into my life.

Thanks ladies

Love and hugs

Karen