Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoladex

12 REPLIES 12
Jannie1

Re: Zoladex

Hi Jacki

Please check with your GP/Oncologist about the 3 monthly injections - I was told I could not have these as Zoladex is not licensed for breast cancer in a 3 monthly dose, only monthly as it is possible that the 3 month ones do not last the whole time and you can start to make estrogen again and your periods could return, goes against what the Zoladex is trying to do. Zoladex in a 3 month injection is usually give to men with prostate cancer. If you go to the Zoladex site it also confirms this. Really do not want you taking any unnecessary chances.

Let me know how you get on. Hope your bruise soon goes.

Love Jan

BunnyMum

Hi Jan,

From what I understand, I didn't have chemo because my tumours were under 1cm (had two of them) and there was no spread through lymph nodes. My consultant said the side-effects of chemo outweighed the benefits. I am 100% ER+ and PR+ so hormone therapy seemed the best was to go. I realise that everyone's condition and doctors are different. I found it hard to get over the fact that I wasn't having chemo cos it felt that I wasn't having enough protection. But I guess I'm ok with that now.

I am also on Tamoxifen as I'm pre-menopausal. My consultant doesn't want to remove my ovaries until I go through the menopause as he feels it will be too much for me at the moment.

Must admit that my bruise is rather impressive (now a purple colour!), but it really wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. If I cope well with the monthly injections, I'll probably be put on the 3 monthly ones in November. That might be good as I bruise and bleed so beautifully 🙂

love,
Jacki xx

Jannie1

Hi Jacki

Think I will recommend you to my doctor. It was literally two seconds, like pricking yourself with a sewing needle. Most times I didn't bruise but if I did it was only about 1" round and only lightly coloured and I definitely didn't bleed. My doctor said it was quite normal to bleed just a tiny bit but nothing more. Could your GP not do the injection next time? I don't like to think of you going through this every month for the next two years. Glad to know that you didn't find it too bad though.

May I ask you why they gave you zoladex and not chemo, just being completely nosey as I had zoladex instead of chemo too.

Good wishes
Jan

BunnyMum

Hi All,

Well, I made it through my first injection! I did use the cream, but the nurse told me that they now use needles that are made of something (too panicky to remember at the time - teflon?) that don't cause as much discomfort.

Felt a stinging as the needle went in, but it was ok. I did bleed quite a lot though! I bled for England when I had my core biopsy back in March - they told me I am a 'good bleeder'!! Nice to know I do something well 🙂

I was rather uncomfortable once the cream affect wore off, but it went after an hour or so. I do have a fantastic black bruise that's about 3" x 2".

Phew -- made it through another hurdle. Thanks so much for everyone's support - very much appreciated!!

love,
Jacki xx

surfnirvana

I was absolutely dreading my 1st Zoladex injection and was very wobbly emotionally when I went into the nurses' room. However, she was very kind and reassuring. I just layed down on the couch, revealed my tummy just below my belly button and she gave me the injection on the right hand side. It was like a hard pinch for a couple of seconds and then it was all done. I didn't have any anaesthetic cream. I was so relieved that when I got into the car I just burst into tears!

I've been having them for 9 months now (one month on the right and other on the left hand side), and I actually look forward to seeing Wendy the nurse and having a catch up with her too. You will be absolutely fine with it and probably nothing compared to what you have already been through.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Lynne

emmap1000

Hi Jacki

I have had the injection without the cream and for me it hurts and the thought of having two more years of the pain no matter how short filled me with dread. However i have just changed to having the injection done at my GP. The nurse there give a local anaesthetic injection before doing the zoladex. The local anaesthetic injection sting a bit but then when she does the zoladex it doesn't hurt at all. It such a relief to know that i don't have to go through the pain every month. I would ask them if you a local anaesthetci injection is an option.

Good Luck

Jannie1

Hi Jacki

Just got back from shopping and suddenly had a thought. I am not being rude but have you got a bit of a tummy? My GP said it is so much easier giving a zoladex injection into the tummy if there is something to get hold of. If you have a nice flat tummy it might be worth using the cream. The days of having a flat tummy for me is a long distant memory lol. Also, remember each time what side they do the inj. as they like to alternate each time.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning. Do let us know how it goes.

Love Jan

BunnyMum

Hi All,

Many thanks for your reassuring comments!! My consultant was the one who told me it would hurt!!!!! I wasn't offered any cream, but I read about it either on this forum or another some time ago so asked my doctor for some.

My appt's at 11:20 on Thurs with the practice nurse (who is the one who usually does the Zoladex injections) -- will let you know how it goes....

thx again 🙂
love,
Jacki xx

Cathie

Hi

I too was dreading my first Zoladex injection last month, but it was ok really, just stung a tiny bit. Didn't get offered any cream though.
Good luck Jacki, I am sure it will be fine.
Cathie

ForumMember

Hi Jacki,

I had my first Zoladex injection last week and, as Jan says, I think the cream works in about 1/2 to 1 hour. I had mine on for almost 2 hours before the injection (had to see my consultant and the nurse in between) and they told me that was a bit too long but it really didn't hurt very much and didn't feel too bruised afterwards either.

Good luck!

Hannah
x

Jannie1

Hi Jacki

I had zoladex injections for two years. My GP was great, never had the cream and hardly felt a thing. The only time it hurt like hell, I almost went through the ceiling, was when the locum had to do it as my GP was on holiday. Just nicely ask your doctor (or the practise nurse or the GP's receptionist if you don't want to ask him direct) if he is used to giving these injections. Perhaps try the first one without the cream and if it is too bad then use the cream in the future or the other way round. I believe you have to use the cream for about 1 hour before.

Let us know how you get on, I am sure you will be fine.

Love Jan

Deborahw

Hi Jacki

I too am a wimp when it comes to pain, especially needles. I had my first Zoladex in July this year, but I was not given the option of the cream. Just wanted to say, I was dreading it, but didn't look at the needle, and I must say it was not too bad at all, so I am not dreading my next one at all. Just wanted to put your mind at rest.

Hope it all goes well.

Love Deborahxx

BunnyMum

Zoladex

Hi All,

I am due for my first monthly Zoladex injection this Thursday. I have been given some local anaesthetic cream to apply before I have it done. Can anyone recommend how long before the injection I should apply it? (Bit of a wimp when it comes to pain!!)

thx!
Jacki xx